Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shooting today I saw this when I turned the SG upside down to load. I was a little concerned but a good friend whom I highly respect looked at it as well. Back in the gun room I disassembled the ks-7 and wiped it down with a white rag and found no plastic shavings. It's looking like pretty significant gouging that has been smoothed down. The other side has some scratches but obviously not as severe. Working the action we could see nothing that could cause this. There was a tiny amount of deformations on the bolt carrier (if that's what it's called) on the mating surface edges. Nothing that could even remotely cause this (typical machining). Both hr and I worked in plastic molding so we were both a little stymied. He stoned it smoother (both the plastic and steel) so we can watch it. I'm not super concerned because there was no plastic in the action which leads me to believe the scratches occurred pre purchase at the factory.

Does anyone have this on their SG? Ideas?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Never noticed. Just checked mine out and yes it and it has same thing.

I wander if it's when you first install the bolt and rack it. Or maybe from not having bolt reinstalled properly. Then trying to rack. I know I have done that a bunch.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know you may be right since generally the bolt is spun in that area to interface with the "tray" before moving forward. That would explain it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just checked mine and the pattern of the marks is pretty much identical. Wonder if it's just from imperfections in the injection mold they use.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked mine and the pattern of the marks is pretty much identical. Wonder if it's just from imperfections in the injection mold they use.
It hit me rereading the above. These make can't be made while putting the carrier back on place. It's in place before the butt portion is put in. Durka durka.

It sounds like this is a moulding "characteristic".

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is evident to me that the two forward-facing "ears" on the top of the bolt gouge those groves in the plastic.

·
Registered
371 Posts
A key "tell" here is that all guns seem to have these and many of them appear to be almost identical.
Notice the marks running at an angle on the right side of the stock in the above pictures.

Here's my stock, notice the virtually same marks on the right side.....
Automotive tire Window Tire Tread Wood

Due to the near-identical marks, I'm going with these being an artifact of the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A key "tell" here is that all guns seem to have these and many of them appear to be almost identical.
Notice the marks running at an angle on the right side of the stock in the above pictures.

Here's my stock, notice the virtually same marks on the right side.....
View attachment 56202

Due to the near-identical marks, I'm going with these being an artifact of the manufacturing process.
Ditto. It's a molding artifact. Nothing more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wish I had seen this thread before I bought my KS7 because I'd like to examine a new, just out-of-the-box unit and see for certain whether those gouges are a manufacturing artifact. I have my doubts, as marks like that are evident nowhere else on the gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got them on mine too- machine artifact or bolt movement characteristic. I have the exact same pattern, right down to the predominant one posted in the last picture. No shavings though and the gun functions flawlessly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts