Had 4 people shoot it, all had the problem

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bryank, Apr 4, 2010.

1. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi guys, second post here. Got to shoot my new 2nd gen 3at this weekend. Actually had 4 buddies all put a few clips through it. We each managed to have this happen to us and now I can make it happen "on command". If we didnt pull the trigger, hard and fast, then the hammer would cock, release, and got blocked again by the hammer block before hitting the firing pin.

I have read many times that you can "stage" the trigger on this gun, pull it ~3/4 of the way until you feel it about to give and then pull it the rest to get a slow and accurate pull on the trigger. If I do this, the hammer wont hit the pin, stops short.

Am I weird? Doing something wrong? Thanks!

2. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Not sure just what you might be doing, but these little pocket guns have only one real reason to exist, which is self defense in an emergency. If this situation should ever occur, you will not be be slowly staging the trigger, but doing a rapid, hopefully smooth pull to get rounds on the target (s). So it is better, I think, to practice the way you will actually need to use the gun, rather than trying for target pistol accuracy from it. That really is the way it is designed to be used/fired in my opinion.

Jim R

3. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    All 4 of my friends who shot it said those exact words :p Not really concerned, just curious if the gun is known for that.

4. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    hi,

something is wrong with your gun. the problem description does not ring a bell with me, but some of the bigger fish will probably chime in on this thread. if it comes to it you can always send it to KT and have them warranty fix it for yu. imo, under no circumstances should you "live with it" and have a carry piece that only goes bang if you pull the trigger in a certain way. your life is worth more than that.

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  6. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009

I agree, but also feel there is something wrong..It should go bang when trigger is pulled fast or slow...contact KEL TEC asap.. and carry something else until It`s fixed..IMHO.....good luck

7. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion, it is not the pin, it looks like the reference pictures and cannot be pushed in any farther.

I have uploaded a 20 second video of the problems I am having.  First 2 pulls shown are slow, second 2 are fast.  

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx_dxE3dbv0[/ame]

8. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Possibly you need a little more trigger travel. You could try sanding a little material from the back of the trigger or the grip where the trigger bottoms out.

The firing sequence is more or less like this:

C0ck hammer - Release hammer - Release hammer block - Fire.

The trigger bar and hammer block do not look to me as if they are machined to typical hammer/sear tolerances, and sometimes the hammer block is slow to move out of the path of the hammer.

9. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I may be reading this message the wrong way, and if I am I appologize, but it seems you are saying it shouldnt be worried about. The fact that its not working (whether being used the way you feel it was designed to be used or not) is something to worry about. It should not matter how a trigger is pulled, when a trigger is pulled, fast or slow, the gun should go off. If it doesn't, something is wrong. Just because that thing is only a problem with a slow pull now, doesn't mean it wont change/get worse and keep the gun from going off when its really needed. The gun needs to be checked out.

10. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    /\ it has gotten worse, takes about 6 trigger pulls for the hammer to finally strike the firing pin now. Taking it to the retailer now who offers a 1yr warranty on all guns, hopefully they fix or replace it and dont send it to KT for the next 2 months. After all I bought this gun for summertime carry!

11. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    The gun shop tore it all apart today, couldnt figure out what was wrong so they are sending it back to KT. They said on average they service them in 2 weeks so we will hope thats the case!

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Liar, liar, pants on fire... Hanging from the telephone wire... :D

It will likely be 2 to 3 times that long for a turnaround. Still better than most firearms manufactures. ;)

13. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009

It used to be two weeks but recently the normal turn around time has been 6 -8 weeks....