1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Sure would appreciate any input you guys have about this little revolver.

I have a chance to pick one up REALL cheap.

But would like to know if anyone has one or knows anything about it.
Made1960-1961.
SA/DA.

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9219669

Thanks guys,

Jim
where you at Pancho?
Nice looking old pistol in good condition. I don't know anything about that particular gun, but while H&R has always made nice firearms, their stuff hasn't ever demanded top price in comparison to other bands.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Having just got an older .22 revolver myself I say you should go for it.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Looks like a cowboy'd up version of my H&R 622 - only differences being wood grips instead of black plastic, a presumable single-action trigger, and an ejector rod (to unload mine you pull the pin out, remove the cylinder, and push the center ejector with the pin). Barrel, frame, sights, and all look exactly the same as mine, otherwise. H&R used to make some VERY nice revolvers, especially for their price range - almost but not quite as well-built as, say, a Ruger Single Six but WAY cheaper to buy, especially in used form. I've put hundreds of rounds through mine, and both the double and single actions on it still work wonderfully. Only minus I have with mine (aside from a crack in the grip) is that the barrel seems to have a slightly loose fit in the frame - not sure if there's a way I can tighten it up or not - but it's still been plenty accurate enough for casual plinkin' and snake-popping purposes.

However ... $300 is almost double what that revolver is worth. I only paid $115 or so for my 622 and it's in great shape. Every month or so, I see at least one or two H&R's in .22 LR at the LGS, and even the most pristine example has never topped $175. Last weekend, there was a reeeeeally tempting H&R 929 on hand for about $150 - the 9-shot model with 6" barrel and a swing-out cylinder - but I just didn't have the cash to spare at the time. In hindsight, I probably should've just pulled the money from my emergency stash and bought it, but ... meh. There's enough H&R's floating around still these days that finding a good one isn't a once-in-a-lifetime deal (yet).

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one I am looking at is not the one in the OP, but same gun with some surface rust, not pitting , and the bluing is gone, but mechanically is great.

$85.00 sound OK?

Jim

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
For $85? Heck yeah! GET IT NOW! I wish I could find a half-decent H&R for that cheap! Not that they're expensive by any means, but that's a heck of a good price on one.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The H&Rs are good all steel guns. I had a couple of similar guns to that one. Had a gun similar to that one in nickel. It was a model 949 in .22 LR, 9 shot. Got it off a local cheap cause it was missing the hammer strut and manspring. Had some parts from an HR single shot shotgun and modified he hammer strut and spring to fit. It had the ejector rod on the side of the barrel like an SA only gun, but was SA/DA.

The other was much the same except the frame was color ase hardened. Cylinder and barrel were blue. It was .22 mag only. Guy swapped it to me cause he didn't like the price of .22 mag ammo. Might have been a 6 shot model IIRC.

Both were good, reliable guns. I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
At 300 I'd say noway, At 85 I'd say heck yeah. It has a nice 'look' to it. Looks like an honestly made gun. Nutin fancy, but it doesn't have to either. I've a H&R single shot .22/.410 that is a fine gun. Cheap, but solid. Good youth trainer.
Post us some pics. ;)
And if you do get a chippawa? I'm heading back up to Ky. ;)

Lop

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Lop,
Take a look at the last post of"I just cant help it"

Jim
I do have a few reservations on the chippawa, we' see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts