Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the gunshow yesterday thinking about a P3AT or maybe Ruger LCP. I have had good experience with a Keltec p-11. The LCP was max retail at $330. Found a gray frame, blued slide P3AT NIB for $235. He had two. I bought one and my son bought the other. I am aware of the "fluff and buff' procedure but thought what the heck let's try 'em out of the box. I swabbed out the barrel on each one. While this certainly doesn't qualify as a full blown range report, we ran a magazine of PMC ball and Golden Saber HP. No problems. NONE. I am amazed!! I thought the HP's would be an issue. I still need to shoot more to do a "break in" but we are WELL pleased with these pistols. Still plan to do the "fluff and buff", paint the sights and add the +1 extension.
While at the show I had 3 people inquire what I had and did I want to sell it. I didn't think about it at the time as I was too busy checking out everything. Later my son told me he had 4 people ask him the same thing. I thought that was odd as there were plenty P3AT's for sale. I don't kmow if these were people looking to sidestep the paperwork or if they were ATF agents looking to make a bust. Anybody out there have this happen to them?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Welcome. You didn't say where you were at but that was a great price for a NIB P3. Never had anybody come up to me at a gunshow like that. Not sure what to think unless they couldn't pass the background check and were trying to get a weapon anyway.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John,
The show was in Roanoke Va. I saw one other all black P3AT at another dealer for $235. The rest were priced from $245-$300. I've been to numerous shows in the past and never had this happen before. I remember an incident in August 2006,when the BATFE staked out the Richmond gun show. Agents copied the lawful transaction records and provided them to the local police who in turn conducted "residency checks". See www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13983.
Since the purchase form asks if you are the buyer and recipient of the firearm I wondered if this was some type of "sting". I had no intention of selling my newly acquired P3AT but if I had, I wonder if it would have constituted some violation of the law by purchasing and reselling the weapon on the same day. Not paranoid, just very cautious given the current political climate.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
benttwig said:
... I had 3 people inquire what I had and did I want to sell it.  ...
I believe the gun shows here are generally buy/sell/trade events. I don't know for sure if sale between individuals is OK but I don't see why not since I can sell a gun to anybody in almost any parking lot across the state without any required background check. I don't believe FTF sales here in Texas require record keeping by law.

I don't know if this applies in your jurisdiction or not and I'm sure if I'm wrong on the statements above someone will correct me but, at any rate, you shouldn't just take my word for it without checking first with a qualified attorney in your jurisdiction.

All that said, maybe they weren't observant and thought you had something to sell and they wanted to get it on the cheap. People are always looking for bargains and fools.

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
molachi said:
... Never had anybody come up to me at a gunshow like that. Not sure what to think unless they couldn't pass the background check and were trying to get a weapon anyway.

John
You just weren't carrying anything interesting. The day I picked up my Marlin Camp9 I must have had 4 people ask if I was selling it as I made my way to the door. A lot of folks carry rifles slung over their shoulders with a sign stuck in the barrel tellin what it is & how much.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
RAT76 said:
[quote author=molachi link=1223296822/0#1 date=1223299176]... Never had anybody come up to me at a gunshow like that. Not sure what to think unless they couldn't pass the background check and were trying to get a weapon anyway.

John
You just weren't carrying anything interesting.  The day I picked up my Marlin Camp9 I must have had 4 people ask if I was selling it as I made my way to the door.  A lot of folks carry rifles slung over their shoulders with a sign stuck in the barrel tellin what it is & how much.[/quote]

Story of my life "nothing interesting" ;D ;D

Seriously though that could be what the problem was. When I got my P3 it was in the box and I headed out the door 'cause I was through looking that day.

John

G

·
Congrats on the 3AT's and thanks for the report.

Regarding the gun show buying/selling FTF between individuals.  If I have a gun over my shoulder or in my hand, I WILL be asked what it is and am I selling it at least a half dozen times.

In LOUISIANA it is MY understanding that I can sell my guns FTF to an individual if he is a resident of Louisiana and I HAVE NO REASON TO BELIEVE that he is prohibited by law from possesing or buying that gun.  I also want to say that I [highlight]never take legal advice from gun board Grand PoohBahs[/highlight].  

I sold all of my guns FTF to individuals at a gun show I went to a few months ago.  I no longer own any guns except a BPS and a rusty old RG. 22 short that I bought at the pawn shop that closed 20 years ago.

;)

Your post does bring up another question.

The 4473's that I have to fill out in order to comply with current law and excercise my RIGHT to buy a gun does ask me if I am the actual buyer of the gun.

What if the day I buy the gun, my little brother is so impressed with said gun that he offers me twice what I paid for it, and I say ok, and sell it to him. Does that make me a liar and a criminal? I suppose the ATF might want to take that view, but who knows.

Strecthing it way out........suppose I buy the same gun, and 30 minutes later, two isles over at the gun show......a stranger is so impressed, he offers me three times what I paid, and I decided to sell. Does that make me a liar and a criminal? I suppose the ATF might want to take that view, but who knows.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
... I [highlight]never take legal advice from gun board Grand PoohBahs[/highlight].  ...
Somehow I am beginning to feel inadequate for not using a highlighter in my post :-[

Do I go back and highlight now or leave it and hope it's clear ... :-/

What am I talking about? :-? Nobody listens to me anyway. :p At least, nobody with any sense ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
In answer to Nu_Agin_Shooter's question I think it's O.K. as long as you bought the gun with your own money, not that of a "straw purchaser", and did not make the purchase with the intent of selling to a prohibited person. You can Google "Straw Purchase Firearm" if you want to. Of course, don't take my word for it.

G

·
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
.... I also want to say that I [highlight]never take legal advice from gun board Grand PoohBahs[/highlight].....

doubloon said:
... Nobody listens to me anyway.  :p At least, nobody with any sense ...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
PshootR said:
... Of course, don't take my word for it.
:'(  Being a Grand Poobah sucks..........I liked being a god better... at least we got some respect.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
[quote author=Nu_Agin_Shooter link=1223296822/0#6 date=1223321814].... I also want to say that I [highlight]never take legal advice from gun board Grand PoohBahs[/highlight].....

doubloon said:
... Nobody listens to me anyway.  :p At least, nobody with any sense ...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
PshootR said:
... Of course, don't take my word for it.
:'(  Being a Grand Poobah sucks..........I liked being a god better... at least we got some respect.

[/quote]

Psst. Respect don't come from the title or the uniform. Courtesy does, but respect has to be earned, every time.  JM$.02W  ;)

Bentt, welcome to the board. I like to say that my p3 is my least favorite gun, but it is the one that is always in my pocket. In Ga. the summers are just to hot to carry a full size gun, so now that it is cooler and I can carry my sig, I still find I have a p3 in my pocket.  :) Lets hear it for New York Reloads.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Remember the "gun show loophole" is that private buyers can buy and sell without background checks while commercial sellers cannot. Many states have chosen to "close" that "loophole" at gun shows. In some states you might not be able to do at a gunshow (or on the same property, within some vicinity, some time frame or other limitations) the same thing that you could otherwise do privately, namely sell a gun without the background check.

-Scott

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
adamsesq said:
Remember the "gun show loophole" ...
-Scott
Yep and locks are for honest people.

I don't get much heartburn over that loophole, bottom line is all the armed crooks out there didn't buy from a gun show and legislation only makes it harder for honest people to buy. YMMV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.