Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stopped at gun store today. saw a 1 gen p3at for 199.00 od p3at only 279.00 lcp was 329.00 . my question is do you think the 1 gen is as good as 2gen p3at. no interest in lcp. i own a 2gen p3at but for 199.00 i am tempted. your thoughts on 1 gen quality.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
There are those on this list that would not even have breathed before they said sold on that. A lot of people really like the 1st gen best. I would have passed as the 1st gen just doesn't interest me at just about any price. Your call.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I've owned a 1st gen for almost 5 years now. The only problem I've had was a couple of months ago when the pin for the hammer block walked out. A new grip with hammer block installed and she's as good as new again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The 2nd gen was beefed up in a few areas. The barrel lugs are heavier as is the slide. I had to have a few barrels replaced on a 1st Gen for deformed/flared lugs. The 2nd gen handles the heaviest load you can get with no problems. I will not own another 1st gen. at any price.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Apiarian said:
The 2nd gen was beefed up in a few areas. The barrel lugs are heavier as is the slide. I had to have a few barrels replaced on a 1st Gen for deformed/flared lugs. The 2nd gen handles the heaviest load you can get with no problems. I will not own another 1st gen. at any price.
There was nothing wrong with the lugs on the 1G barrels. The problem was with walking takedown pins - if the pin walks, this kind of damage can occur.

$199 is a good price - buy it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
pocketgun said:
[quote author=Apiarian link=1219523443/0#5 date=1219530650]The 2nd gen was beefed up in a few areas. The barrel lugs are heavier as is the slide. I had to have a few barrels replaced on a 1st Gen for deformed/flared lugs. The 2nd gen handles the heaviest load you can get with no problems. I will not own another 1st gen. at any price.
There was nothing wrong with the lugs on the 1G barrels.  The problem was with walking takedown pins - if the pin walks, this kind of damage can occur.

$199 is a good price - buy it.[/quote]

It is interesting that barrel lugs are beefier. KT does not strike me as a company that makes unwarranted changes. He asked for opinions, Mine Stands.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Apiarian said:
It is interesting that barrel lugs are beefier. KT does not strike me as a company that makes unwarranted changes. He asked for opinions, Mine Stands.

The 1st gen and 2nd gen barrels are identical.  There was no change.

Due to the rising cost of fuel and materials the Second Generation  P-3AT's are now machined from 4140 bar stock in place of the previously used 4140 hexagonal stock.

The P-3AT second generation model differences are:
1) They are 0.4 ounces heavier.
2) There is no longer a detachable recoil spring catch.
3) The extractor and firing pin are now retained by a single button head screw.
4) The extractor spring now utilizes a flat "leaf type" spring.
5) The slide is slightly taller and more rounded then the original P-3AT.
6) The sights are now similar to a standard 3 point buck horn type and are unpainted to allow the operator to high light them as they wish.
7) The grip assembly and magazine catch have been modified to accept these new changes.  

Thank You,
Kel-Tec Customer Service
This other change was noted by KTOGer and Kel-tec employee KTWM:

The extractor is now at about a 30 degree angle, instead of horizontal. This, in combination with the lower ejector, aids ejection.
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1118894836

·
Registered
147 Posts
O come on, all you have to do is look :eek: at the two barrels to see they are not identical.

But if you need to, get you hands on a digital caliper and a barrel from each. Now take measurements. ;)

Sing along....
one of these things aren't like the other... ;D

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Sorry, sing all you like.  I just compared the 1st & 2nd gen barrels side by side.  The barrel hoods have a slightly different shape on mine and the shape of the shaving on the top of the barrel where it goes into the slide differs to accomodate the different shaped slides.  But, the barrel lugs are identical. And, I might add, my 2nd gen pistol is relatively new, made this past spring. I don't know how recent your 2nd gen is. If there was a change made, it has been in the last few months and was not a change incorportated at the time the 2nd gen was released.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Perhaps they made a change somewhere along the line.
My old gen1 barrel lugs tapered and thinned to almost a knife edge. The new gen2 do not taper nearly as far and is more rounded at the ends. Thus more metal on the lugs. A measurement at the bottom edges would show how much.
As we know KT does not announce all changes and not all changes are obvious at casual glance.

Happy shooting :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.