Gun shooting low

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 82boy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. 82boy

82boy New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I noticed that my P3AT shoots low. I have to place a 12 o'clock hold on the target to get it to shoot at the bulseye. I personaly like to have a 6 o'clock hold on a target so I can see the shots comming. The first shot I fired I placed the fron blad center of the target and the shots was at the bottom. I thought about taking a file to the front site, to change the POA. I was wondering if anyone else has done this. Does anyone know what ammo/bullet weight these guns are sighted in for?

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I would make sure it is the gun before I did anything to modify it. The P3 can be a very difficult gun to shoot well so I'm not saying anything against your shooting skill.

Try shooting from a rest and maybe have some other people try it too. As far as I know there is no ammo that works better or worse in P3's just avoid any steel or aluminum cased ammo. Some P3's will function better or worse depending on the ammo but I don't think accuracy is greatly effected.

CJ

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the most common reply you should have gotten here was "what sights?" :cool:

but for the sake of discussion, how much low and what range are you using.
    Most of my shooting is at 7 FEET so sights don't come into play. even at the "long range" of 7 yards, I don't try to use sights.

next would be the the amount of sight post to work with
    the exisiting 0.030" just povides enough hieght to fill the notch. reducing the post height would make it harder to find and center.

there is 0.020" of ramp under the post that could be removed thus allowing the post to be cut down 0.020" and still maintain the post hieght.

with a sight radius of 4" this would be about 1" at 21 feet

4. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    sights? they have sights? lemmeget my eyeloop...

Oh, yeah, those are sights. Cute little buggers.

I'd suggest getting used to the gun and maybe letting that big ol' front sight to poke up out of the back site. Not knowing your experience with guns (or, more to the point, ittybitty guns), these are hard to shoot guns. How many rounds have you run thru this pup? Do you have it broken in yet? The breakin is kinda a two way street with these guns.
    let us know how it goes.
    Clean, lube, shoot, repeat. :)

Lop

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No, I wouldn't start filing on it just yet. Shooting low is probably the most common error with these relatively long, double action triggers. Check this article, especially the diagnostic target. It's written for the P11 and 1st gen P3, but the same principles apply. You might find some help there. Also, as was suggested, shoot from a rest when trying to determine if the "sights" are off.
    http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/accuracy.htm

6. 82boy

82boy New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Thank you for the replys guys,
    I just put 50 round down the pipe.  What is considered broke in?
    You guys are right the sights are a bit on the small side. The more I look at it, I think if I was to pass a file over the front sight is would all-togeather disapear.

I shot at a 12 by 12 target at 50 feet. (I would have shot closer, but there was other people on the range, and I could not go past their muzzel, and that is where the nearest backer is at.) I have shot some 45 silhouette at 50 yards, but most of my pistol shooting is done at 25 to 50 feet.  I kept all shots on the target. The gun was shooting about 4 inches low. This is the first small caliber pistol I have ever owned, all of the other guns I own are 45ACP's, and everything I have shot has been 38 special, 38 Super, 357 mag, and 44 mag. I guess maybe I expected a bit much, I figgured the gun would be sighted in to shoot at 50 feet. I realize this is not a target pistol, and it is a self defense pistol, but what is "usuable" range? Shooting less than 10 feet is just a strange thought for me.

7. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The P3AT is a "bad breath range" gun. 25 yards is the outside range for this gun. Beyond that is a waste of time. Some say beyond 10 yards is too far. I use my P3AT as my BUG 6 days a week. I only carry it as my primary on Sunday mornings in the pulpit. Even then, I would never try to use it to pick off a gunman that had entered the church. I would only use it at close range. It is a .380ACP of course.

In reality, you're just asking too much from this gun.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Most of the pistol stalls where I shoot are 7 yards/21 feet and that is the diestance I typically shoot from.  They have some at 15 and 25 yards but I don't recall ever having shot a P3 from that far, though I have shot it from 10 yards.  I think you're doing prettty well from that distance.   :)

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I'd say that's some pretty good shooting with a P3AT!

10. 82boy

82boy New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Thank you guys.

11. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I have never shot my P-3AT over 25 feet (and I have over 2500 rounds though it). It is not a range or target pistol.

It is designed to be a gun that you carry at all times for self-defense at close range.
    Like when you're in a parking lot, or gassing up your vehicle, or at the ATM, or happen to be in a convenience store when all hell breaks loose, or walking down the street in a bad part of town, or you're sitting at home and your entry door suddenly bursts open.

All of these scenarios will be at close range and you will need something within arm's reach right away!

Once a gun can shoot through about 150 rounds without a glitch I consider it broken in and reliable enough to carry.
    When P-3AT's are new they may need a cleaning after each 50 rounds or so to stay reliable. As they break in the cleaning can usually be extended a lot.

BTW, your shooting at 50 feet with the P-3AT is very good!

Bobo

12. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I hope you're only talking about at the range. :-[

Otherwise, a gun that's been fired is a dirty gun that needs to be cleaned. That is not just a throw back to the days of corrosive ammo, IMO. Carbon and burned powder in modern ammo attracts and absorbs moisture from the air too. Leaving a gun with carbon and burned powder will lead to rust and corrosion and a pitted barrel. I won't carry a gun that isn't clean either. On those few occasions that I can't clean them right away, I won't trust my life to them. The only gun I've ever carried that wasn't clean was a revolver; semi-autos are too picky, IMO, to carry them dirty.

13. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I hope you're only talking about at the range. :-[

Otherwise, a gun that's been fired is a dirty gun that needs to be cleaned. That is not just a throw back to the days of corrosive ammo, IMO. Carbon and burned powder in modern ammo attracts and absorbs moisture from the air too. Leaving a gun with carbon and burned powder will lead to rust and corrosion and a pitted barrel. I won't carry a gun that isn't clean either. On those few occasions that I can't clean them right away, I won't trust my life to them. The only gun I've ever carried that wasn't clean was a revolver; semi-autos are too picky, IMO, to carry them dirty.[/quote]
    Absolutely, I was talking about at the range!
    I now clean my gun after every range visit and I used to clean it about every 50 rounds at the range.
    I would never carry a dirty gun that I relied on to protect me! That would just set me up for a bad outcome at the worst time!

Bobo

14. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
  15. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    +1 Mine shots high and to the left. I aim low and to the right. That was my first mod. ;D

16. 82boy

82boy New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Well that is what I did. I held at the top of the black and the rounds hit in the center red.