Gun review by another new P3AT owner!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Prostatix, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Prostatix

Prostatix New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Hi all,

New to the board and new to the keltec p3at. Not new to shooting by a long shot.

Have been wanting a pocket backup for a long time, and after a few friends bought the P3AT, I figured I would give it a go. So I saved for a while, and finally picked one up last week in hard chrome, BNIB, 2nd gen.

Have to say, the gun is so small it is astounding. It looks very well built. In a desantis nemesis I don't even notice it in my pocket...

This board has been great. So much great info here. 1st thing I did to it was break it down and give it a nice detailed fluff 'n buff and then a full re-lube.

Then it was off to the range!

I put 100 rounds of AE FMJ through it, and I was wholly impressed. Not a single malfunction. I actually shot it surprisingly accurately! I was surprised at the power of the .380 round... Recoil is defintely managable, but my hand did get tortured a bit. Felt like a .45! Reaquisition of a decent sight picture was quick, even with the rudimentary "sights". Accuracy was really surprising given my unfamiliarity with the gun and its tiny size. At 20 feet I was able to group 3 inches off hand in slow fire. I'll have to experiment more with some faster shooting soon, but it looks like for the use it is intended, it more than impressed me.

Also put 2 mags of federal hydra shok through it... no malfunctions. I do intend to carry it with Corbon DPX assuming reliability. Seems a favored round on this board.

Breakdown is a snap and thanks to you guys I did NOT lose the ejector :) I gave it a thorough cleaning and will be back at the range this weekend to break it in a bit more, and do some drills.

At this point I am VERY impressed with this little gun. It is a blast to shoot and sofar is perfect in reliability and decent in accuracy. I normally carry an HK P7M8 or Glock 19 on my right hip and think this little pocket beast will be a fine backup pistol, or even a primary weapon if I feel like going "light". Thanks to the posters on this forum and Keltec for making such a great little compact. :D

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG

3. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Had a 1st gen p3at for over two years. After following advise on this forum about polishing it up and dealing with smilelys, it's been 100% reliable ever since. DPX clocks an average of 1020 fps out of it. ;)

4. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Howdy! Yep, the p3at is quite the little pocket gun. I have a chromed one and love it! For such a small gun it is incredibly accurate at distances greater than one would think. Mine is currently stacked with Fed Hi-Shok ammo which is the precursor to Hydro Shok, but don't quote me on that. For faster target acquisition try painting the sights.

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome! Very nice first post.

IMHO as nice as the P3AT is bare it can be made even better with the addition some grip cusions, grip sleeve and magizine finger extension (AG Laser and Bersa on my gun).

Take care ...

6. Prostatix

Prostatix New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Thanks for the replies gents :)

I tried out carrying and shooting with and without a bersa mag extender (friend's) and I think I much preferred it with the extender both in carry and shooting. Where can I get a hold of both a couple more magazines and the bersa extention?

Going to paint the "sights" as well, but dunno ... was thinking front sight bright orange and rear bright green? Anyone have any good ideas?

Today I'm hittin the range again and got my DPX (expensive stuff!!). Going to run 40 rounds though it to assure reliability, and then, into the pocket this little beast will go. Too bad I dont have any ordinance gelatin :p I'll post a second range report.

Oh and one more thing.. this is one of those "annoying" type questions, but I'm asking anyway. I have always used Ballistol to lube my guns and love it, and am using it to lube the keltec. Anyone have pros, cons to this stuff?