Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

So my sub2k which I have had for about 3 months now is my first gun.

I was at the range with it for the second time today and I have a couple malfunctions and I didn't really know what to do. I never grew up around guns so I am in a learning process now.

Anyway, I'll tell you guys what happened.

I loaded up a magazine, made sure it was all the way in, and then started to chamber a round. I let the bolt go slowly by holding it, I'm not sure if this is wrong or if I should just let it snap down, but anyway, the round kind of got jammed with the bolt half way in the chamber.

Anyway, I pulled the bolt back, took the magazine out, and the round fell out. It happened one more time and I did the same thing. The third time it worked fine. I had just bought a 33rd magazine at the range and that is what I was using. I don't know if this is what the problem may have been due to.

But regardless. I'm not sure if I did the right thing. So dumbed down for a new gun owner. What should I have done here, and what should I do in case of some other common malfunctions that I might encounter (I don't know what else can happen, maybe a hang fire)?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Release charging handle from rear most position so it forcefully catches round and seats in in chamber you will jam up if you do it lightly . Think about when you are shooting and the bolt is moving.freely with.the recoil it is ejecting the casing and chambering a new round in a fraction of a second. You can always lock the charging handle untill you put in your mag then slap it down that way you correctly chamber a round and look cool in the process! Other new shooter tips safety first...always make sure gun is pointed in safe direction loaded or not, keep safety on until ready to shoot, keep finger off trigger until ready to shoot and just have fun and be safe doing it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just let the bolt fly,don't ride it,of course that only applies if you have ammunition in the magazine. If you are cleaning or other wise examining the gun I would guide the bolt home not let it fly without any ammunition. SJ 40

·
Registered
110 Posts
What they said. Don't "ride the handle" forward, let the spring do the work.

I'll share one other 'possible' cause of a failure-to-feed (FTF) that I experienced with a 33 rounder (actually a 22 rounder for my .40). The follower in my mag bound a couple of times, so it was not lifting the top round high enough to get a clean shot into the chamber. Symptoms were exactly as you described. I disassembled and cleaned the mag, and have not had a repeat since.

Again, this is probably not what's happening with yours, but wanted you to be aware of the possibility. If the mag follower is not moving freely, you'll probably see the next round in the mag being a little loose in the mag as you clear the round that didn't feed.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
If you experience a failure to fire, as in click but no bang.

1. Keep the gun pointed downrange for 30 seconds in case the primer does go off.
2. Remove the magazine, eject the unfired round, and check the primer for a strike dent.
3. If there is a good deep dent you probably have a bad primer, and may continue shooting.
4. If no primer strike is visible, disassemble the gun and check to see if the firing pin can be pushed forward out of the bolt face, and moves freely without any gritty feel. The firing pin may have broken, or there may be trash in the FP channel preventing it from moving freely.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Taleas, i have the same issue if you don't pull that charging bolt all the way back and release, it will jam. If you lock the bolt, put your mag in and it feeds fine then is most likely that you are riding the bolt. I either pull the bolt hard back and let go or load the mag with the bolt locked back. What you are experiencing is normal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with the above. Don't ride the bolt forward when it is chambering a round. Tap the bolt handle (I use my support hand) and let it snap closed by itself.

I DO close the action gradually when I am closing it on an empty chamber, as when I am finished shooting and putting it away. I believe this is considered good practice on all auto loading weapons.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The extractor (the little claw on the bolt that pulls the spent round out of the chamber) needs the full force of the recoil spring to snap over the rim of the shell casing when the action cycles. That's why the bolt doesn't close when you 'ride' it forward, and also why the rounds fell out of the magwell when you pull the bolt back.

I have found some enjoyment giving the charging handle an 'HK Slap' to close the bolt, with or without a round in the chamber.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
I have found some enjoyment giving the charging handle an 'HK Slap' to close the bolt, with or without a round in the chamber.
While this is fun and an easy way to chamber a round, it should be borne in mind that the thinnest part of the charging handle is the part that takes the most abuse when doing it this way. I have had one charging handle break off right at the point where it goes into the bolt, and I only very rarely ever slapped it out of the hold open slot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts