Gun Lube

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by VectorFL, Aug 18, 2009.

1. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Hello All, My P-3AT is new to me. So I have to ask about what grease to use. I currently own a Glock, and their manual says to use drops of oil only on their guns. So, I've never used grease, nor do I own any. I'm seeking any recommendations anyone can offer on a good grease to use on my P-3AT. Thanks

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Believe the gun grease I use is called "Tetra Grease" (I'll check its name later and post if I got it wrong). Also have a Glock (26), its funny how some guns run better dry and some wet. Oh, use CLP Breakfree for the rest of the gun.

Take care...

3. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Any grease will do the job, even wheel bearing grease.

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
  5. TrapperTrent

TrapperTrent New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Not being an expert with my P-3AT I went ahead and cleaned as I always clean any new gun and lubricated with a little light gun oil on the slide and a small drop on all of the rest of the moving parts that I could get to in the gun once the slide was removed. I also did not perform the fluff and buff as I felt a good cleaning and light lubrication and a 100 round break in period would be the best thing I could do for my new gun. Sunday afternoon was the first time I fired my P-3AT and it shot perfect with no misfires what so ever. My P-3AT was made in July 2009 and after inspecting the gun I felt it didn’t need any kind special greasing although I am sure a very small amount on the sides of the slide would not hurt provided it is no oozing out when you get done which could make the gun a mess to handle.

I did purchase some M-Pro 7 Military Grade Field CLP (Bore Cleaning Solvent, Lubricant, Rust Preventative) and was wondering if any KTOG members could give me some feedback on this product.

Best of luck with your new P-3AT, VectorFL. I really enjoy mine. If I could recommend anything for the gun it would be the grip extension which is a molded plastic piece that attaches to the bottom of the magazine. It made the gun a lot easier to handle when shooting it. It is still small enough that my P-3AT still looks like a billfold in the DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster while concealed in my front pocket.

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    ALWAYS use a small amount of grease on the frame rails. With an aluminum frame a very light film of grease will help prevent premature wear of the aluminum frame of he KTs. FWIW, I use a small film of grease on all my semi-auto pistols. Why? Grease stays in place; oil does not. A gun with only oil can become dry over a period of time which can lead to failures to feed if the gun has not been cleaned regularly. A SD situation is not the time to realize that your lightly oiled gun has gone dry and won't reliably feed. A light film of grease will not pick up a lot of lint but will make certain your gun is good to go in a SD situation even if it's been two months since you broke it down to clean and relube it.

BTW, any good grease, even automotive grease, will do just fine.

7. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    If you want a "dry" lube for CCW (does not attract pocket lint) I would use Strike Hold. It leaves a slick surface that is almost dry and feels somewhat like paraffin.
    http://www.strikehold.com/SHCLP.html

For grease I like MagnaLube-G. It does not migrate/liquefy under use and requires only a very thin coat.
    https://www.magnalube.com/order.php (Internet security warning may occur).

8. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    My 17 came with grease on the slide rails, OM said it was there to reduce wear.  So grease is good enough for my P3AT.  I regularly pocket carry (yeah, yeah, I know) and when I get a chance to shoot, I don't clean it first, just want to see if it is ready or not.  Nothing special about the grease, but the gun has always been ready to go.

9. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I've been using vaseline on the rails and hammer face. Goes bang every time. I think any grease will do.

10. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Here we go again!

The "Grease Wars" have started up all over.

"Vaseline?" Why not KY?

11. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Here we go again!

"Vaseline?" Why not KY?[/quote]
    PshootR,
    I nearly fell out of chair laughing with that post! ;D You watch, somebody will try it. :D

Yeah, I just bought a Walther PPS 40. When I broke it down to clean it, it had grease on the rails. The OM only says to use oil but grease stays in place better than oil and tends to lubricate far longer than oil alone. I can't wait to get it to the range this afternoon and put it through its paces.

12. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Here we go again!

"Vaseline?" Why not KY?[/quote]
    I don't think KY is thick enough. ;) If you want a good laugh, google "doug and the killer ky" it will probably be the second one listed entitled The Chronicles of Bruiser street sweeper tales.

13. StanSimmons

StanSimmons New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    OMG! That is messed up. :eek:

;D

14. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I swear by Gunslick Graphite lube. It comes in a grey tube and only costs $1.97 and never goes away.

15. krustymc223

krustymc223 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Ohio
    . . I agree with torrent. gun slick! . .

16. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I'm no longer a greaser.

I clean with BreakFree CLP and Hoppes and protect/lube with Eezox.

Rails get an EXTREMELY lite coat of 5 wt Mobil One non detergent oil.

17. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Non-detergent you say? Hmm, ever try transmission fluid?? Has lots of anticorrosives.

I'll stick with gun oil. thank you. :-X

18. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Non-detergent you say?  Hmm, ever try transmission fluid?? Has lots of anticorrosives.

I'll stick with gun oil.  thank you.  :-X[/quote]

Duh --  what I meant was Mobil One SYNTHETIC 5-30w ... it's what I use in my Prius.

And it is anti-corrosive.

19. D50boy

D50boy New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    I use the thickest Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil I could find.