Gun Grease

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by billfromtx, Oct 17, 2009.

1. billfromtx

billfromtx New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I have to ask a dumb question... I have some gun grease I bought at Academy Outdoors here in Corpus. Its says its to put on firearms when not in use to keep them from rusting...I guess like cosmaline(sp)...Will the work to grease the slide rails on my P3AT?

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I use grease on the rails and hammer interface of all my semi-auto handguns. For CCW guns, grease doesn't drip away causing a dry gun. It also doesn't attract lint in a holster like oil does. In addition, When using oil alone, it is necessary to clean a CCW gun every week or two. I have carried my P3AT for three months[sup]*[/sup] without recleaning. I checked it every week to check lubrication and it never needed anything added. I then went to the range and shot 50 rounds without any problems. When I checked it at 50 rounds it was still well lubed. Oil just can't do that. I'm sold on grease in addition to oil for proper lubrication.

[sup]*[/sup]I also carried two other guns, my PF-9n and my LCP. That way I wasn't relying on it for SD. I conversely did the same thing with my LCP and got the same results.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It's probably ok but I don't know what the stuff is. Is it something that is maximized for protection and has poor lubricating qualitites? Is it stickier than it is slippery? If nothing else, regular old axle grease is fine.

4. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    There's no such thing as a dumb question. I use Hoppes gun grease on mine but was reluctant at first for the same reason. The description on the label was similar to what you're describing. It talked more about preservation for storage than lubrication. So I PM'd Golden Loki, one our many experts on this forum who has a Kel-tec lube guide on his gunsmithing website. GL said it was fine. Before joining KTOG I'd never greased my guns. I'd always used oil on everything. When I started reading about grease on the forum I immediately thought of axle grease but didn't have any available. I think it might be a tad slicker than the gun grease.

5. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Just priced axle grease at Autozone. Wish I'd known it was that cheap.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    A little tub of Slick 50 bearing grease should last a couple of generations. :)

7. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I like the Slick 50 also. Seems to stay on the slide and not collect lint for pocket carry. I always used oil until I joined this site and found out from the experts that grease was the way to go !

8. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    I prefer to use a Molly grease as it helps fill in small imperfections in the metal over time and makes things even smoother. This is a trick I learned for helping to improve the trigger on military surplus firearms and on the rails and slides of military pistols.

My favorite and a lifetime supply is TS-70 Moly paste with 70% Molly http://www.tsmoly.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=217

The explaination on how it works can be found here http://www.tsmoly.com/faq_choose.html#earth

It really helps smooth out rifle and pistol triggers as well as working well on the slide. I do have to admit that it is messy as hell at first and that it does take a while for the molly to start plating into things, but over time it is pretty amazing stuff. So much of the KetTec experience is devoted to "fluff and buff" and yet Molly is the ultimate in filling and smoothing grease. The only caution on use with the KelTec is that TS-70 Molly paste is a bit thick, so use it sparingly.