Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pop's triggers came back in stock and I placed my order today. I've read through the installation instructions several times already and was just curious what gun grease ya'll used/recommend.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
That's a good question. Ask 10 members and you'll get 15 answers. ;)
Whatever you use to grease your rails (you are using grease on your rails, rather than just oil, right?) will work just fine.
Hoppes, Tetra are both good.
The grease in Pops' pics looks kinda like Shooters Choice, but I could be wrong.

Walmart carries a couple different brands that will do the job.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's a good question. Ask 10 members and you'll get 15 answers. ;)
Whatever you use to grease your rails (you are using grease on your rails, rather than just oil, right?) will work just fine.
Agreed.

(I happen to use a white lithium because it was recommended years ago for rails... and I haven't used the whole giant tube up yet!)

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Just use any high quality grease. If a "gun" specific grease makes you feel better I'm sure any brand will be fine. I'm sure a good wheel bearing grease would work well.

I use a all purpose synthetic grease called Super Lube, it can be found at most hardware stores in a gray tube. It's great stuff and one tube will last a long time. I've used Militec1 gun grease too and I really don't see any improvement over Super Lube.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I don't know..
I use magnalube on my guns.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
T
Well, I'm a newbie to Kel Tecs so I've just done my typical CLP clean and lube. Then Teflon coated the rails. I guess I should be greasing?...

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Pop's triggers came back in stock and I placed my order today. I've read through the installation instructions several times already and was just curious what gun grease ya'll used/recommend.
+1 on 15 different answers. :)

I still stick with Shooters Choice or Slip2000 EWL for grease and Ballistol or Slip2000 for oil.

I know CJP32 is grinning cause I like the high-end stuff and he swears by good ole grease. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
In the past I have used "good ole grease" which worked fine but it stinks and will stain your clothes.

For the last couple years I've been getting good results with Super-Lube which is clear and odorless. It also contains PTFE (Teflon) and has made my Northwoods trigger smoother than snot.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
any grease will work. it looks like the grease is use to help hold the parts in place when putting the gun bacl togather.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Keep in mind, it should be a light grease. I would think axle grease would be too heavy/gummy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Keep in mind, it should be a light grease. I would think axle grease would be too heavy/gummy.
You make a good point haugrdr. No doubt there are a lot of different kinds of grease and oil that will "work", but I tend to like and use the ones that are promoted for the very purpose of firearms cleaning, lubrication, and preserving.

I think it is also a good thing to fully clean all the grease and oil off of your firearm internals at least once a year using a degreasing blast spray and then re-lubing. No matter what quality grease or oil you are using, it will eventually collect dust, lint, etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use RIG gun grease on high wear areas of most of my pistols. Light application, a little dab will do the job.

If I remember correctly white lithium grease is not for high temp applications. So it is fine for triggers and the like but maybe not for areas that heat up quickly.

Works great on car door hinges, trunk lids, hoods, etc.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
I use RIG gun grease on high wear areas of most of my pistols. Light application, a little dab will do the job.

If I remember correctly white lithium grease is not for high temp applications. So it is fine for triggers and the like but maybe not for areas that heat up quickly.

Works great on car door hinges, trunk lids, hoods, etc.
That all I use on internals, like trigger bar and the like. Plain old white lithium grease.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. My father had never used gun grease on his guns therefore I never learned use for it. I didn't realize it was like asking what socks everyone wears. Thanks for the help!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts