Gun clubs/ranges , post up yours too

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by burley, Oct 9, 2010.

1. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    As we don't live far enough out in the country anymore it's been a real pain to go shooting. Used to have my own range out back of the house, now I gotta get permission to get on some where  or ... well as it has been don't go or go to the indoor range (air quality sucks there , and they only keep 1/2 the lights on, makes it hard to see if ya got to work on something)
    Well I'm breaking down and spending a few bucks to join a local outdoor range. It is a nice one located out of town. Going for new member orientation in the morning so I can get issued a key and go out when ever I like. At least it will afford me some freedom of choosing when I want to go and not having to ask anyone... The range is nice , been a visitor there a couple times. Rifle 100/200 & 300yd ranges- Pistol range -blackpowder/rimfire range  - trap & skeet - picnic area - family members are free with member present.

Next place we buy has a predetermined prerequisite, shootability #1  ;D

If I get the chance I'll snap some pics tomorrow...

2. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Re: Gun club/ranges

Part of the rimfire-black powder range;
    [​IMG]

Rest of that range and trap- skeet beyond;
    [​IMG]

Lg bore rifle range 100-200 & 300
    [​IMG]

didn't get any pics of the three pistol ranges,maybe next trip out

3. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

nice

4. KORNBREAD

KORNBREAD New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    GA

That place looks flippin awesome.

5. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas

Back to the range today  :). Took some more pics . . .
    Also revived the Bragging Rights thread with a target posted here;

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204469076/65#65

25 & 50 yard pistol range ( and pistol carbine, set for 25 yd as seen );

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50 yard 'Gong' pistol range

[​IMG]

Adjustable pistol range 0-50 yard;

[​IMG]

6. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006

Looks like a real nice place Joe.

Amen to that one!

7. Glockmeister

Glockmeister New Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Texas/DFW

nice looking range. i like the movable targets as i prefer 3 to 5 yd for glock. ;D,my local 30min. drive shut down for remodel, was only going to be a month or so, i guess the so is 6 mos. and counting. another about same distance but pistol is 50' and they have 100yd. No 50yd. or short pistol. Have to drive hour and some to decent range and then there always busy (dangerous). I know they have tough job and a lot to watch, i worked one when in jr. high, high school. always walked line, cked. actions open before anyone went downrange. last outing one called range cold when i was about to fire at 100 yd. (i never heard cease fire) and later another at pistol and shotgun range 25yd. allowed someone to lay a loaded shotgun down bolt closed and called range cold. Thought of going out today but too windy to try 100yd. bragging rights. nice pics. joe

8. kaisersosse

kaisersosse New Member

Nov 7, 2010

now if only I could make my backyard into that range! Looks like a nice place!

9. wow6599

wow6599 Guest

10. Glockmeister

Glockmeister New Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Texas/DFW
    Re: My local range opened back up

wow, like disneyland and only $3 hour. How long is wait? did not look busy in reports. must be some of tax dollars at work. range closest to me looks like a dump, but hey at least its still a place to go shoot.

11. wow6599

wow6599 Guest

Re: My local range opened back up

The wait last week was long, but that was all about deer season. I usually only wait about 5 minutes to get a booth.......and I have never been told my time is up or paid for any additional time, even though I'm usually there longer than an hour.
    There are tax dollars at work......it's ran by the MO Dept of Conservation. $3, free targets and it's only 15 minutes from me :cool:

12. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Pretty nice set up. The story says indoor but it looks to be covered at the booth and open above the baffles, so it's not like a totally climate controlled space I guess.  That is good in my books. The local indoor range about gags me to breath in. The smoke and lead leave an after taste when ever I go (main reason I joined the outdoor range/club).
    Had a few questions about space but the second article covered them;

How often do ya have to ceasefire and go cold for target changes there ? Are all 20 booths on the same backstop ? Seems it could make for a slow time unless they let you have several stands to put targets up.
    Nice range of target placement from 7-100. Many of these ranges don't offer short distance setups for SD practice. Looks like they covered that.

13. wow6599

wow6599 Guest

Same backstop for all 20.......it's probably about 10 minutes of "hot" range and then 5 minute breaks. I wouldn't join it if it was a club, but for $3 I can't complain.

14. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Got in another trip to our local range today. Weather was comfortable for short sleeves. Unusual for Kansas in mid November. No pics this trip. Just ran 150 rounds thru 2 Sub 9s and a few .45 LC thru the Ruger with my oldest son. He popped 6 in a 10" ring at 25 yards with the Vaquero, better than I shoot with that thing. Checked out the BLR and found the scope is bad, will be replacing that an getting back out again soon. Deer season starts in 10 days.

15. harrygp

harrygp Active Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Burley that place reminds me a lot of the place I go to.

One difference though: the range is nearly totally empty when I go (usually off hours during weekdays and regular weekend hours).

Many times I have the entire pistol range to myself (weekends there are maybe a total of 3-4 other shooters in the pistol area (with a total of about 20 available booths).

Cost is about $65/hr for re-signing up for another year. Pays everything - all park access and usage is all free all day long.

You can also, if you choose, pay about $10 for a one day pass.

http://jcsa-shootingsports.com/

16. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Nice looking place. :cool:
    So far about the same here on range being open for use. Last trip out son and I were only ones on the 25/50 yd pistol range. Rifle range was pretty full but we'r almost to rifle deer season so lots of people are getting ready.

17. NYCsurvivor

NYCsurvivor New Member

Nov 11, 2010
  18. ftldrben

ftldrben New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Why is it that there are some many great looking ranges in states with ridiculously strict firearms laws?

Not that we don't have some nice (and some crappy) outdoor ranges here in FL.

19. harrygp

harrygp Active Member

Jun 8, 2007