Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun Broke!  What now.

I am so sold on the P3AT that I just bought wifey one in HC. I love mine - also in HC.

However, when I was shooting I found a piece of black plastic that I could not place. I glanced at my gun and did not see anything missing.

I just now found out where it came from. It fell off from in front of the trigger. The crack extends to that pin that runs through the gun above and in front of the trigger. It touches the pin on both sides of the gun and so there is no plastic under the pin anymore.

What next? Do I remove the slide barrel and springs and ship it to Kel-Tec?

I know I will get fast good information here so I am not calling Kel-Tec first but asking here instead.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: Gun Broke!  What now.

That would be a crack in the polymer grip. The aluminum frame can be removed from the grip if you're handy and the grip can be replaced. KT can send you a new one or you can send the pistol to KT and have them do it.

http://www.kel-tec.com/p3atparts.html

Removing the grip involves disconnecting the hammer spring and driving out the frame pins to remove the grip.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

That's the first I've heard of a grip breaking in that area. The other posters are correct call KT, talk to customer service to see if they will ship you a new grip If you want to replace it yourself. If your not comfortable with replacing it your self send it in to KT.

KT will probably want the whole gun for test firing. The black aluminum frame that sits inside the grip with the serial number is considers the "gun" so removing the slide and barrel won't change how it need to be shipped.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ok, shipped the gun FedEx. They charged $8.00 for 3 day shipping with $300.00 coverage.

I told them it was a gun and that is what they did - I thought it had to be overnighted. Shrug.

Kel Tec did say to ship the whole gun so that they could test fire it after repair.

They said a couple of weeks for return.

Tried out wifey's new gun. 30 shots 3 failures. 1 FTE - I believe it was her limp wristing and 2 FTF. Both FTF were when I manually racked the slide. I think this will straighten out after a 100 rounds or so. I did not have much time today to try it out.

I never had this happen on my old gun. I have 1000 rounds through it with no failure ever for me and 1 FTE for my 15 year old son who I believe limp wristed.

I am still sold on these puppies :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Tokamak said:
Ok, shipped the gun FedEx.  They charged $8.00 for 3 day shipping with $300.00 coverage.

I told them it was a gun and that is what they did - I thought it had to be overnighted. Shrug.
I was wondering if there was going to be some kind of fuss because this gun was shipped wrong. Apparently not because is it on a truck heading to Kel-Tec right now.

Dec 5, 2006 3:02 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
ROCKLEDGE, FL

Dec 4, 2006 10:39 PM
At local FedEx facility
ROCKLEDGE, FL

9:46 PM
Departed FedEx location
ORLANDO, FL

1:11 PM
Arrived at FedEx location
ORLANDO, FL

Dec 1, 2006 11:42 AM
Departed FedEx location
GROVE CITY, OH

6:18 AM
Arrived at FedEx location
GROVE CITY, OH

Nov 30, 2006 12:33 PM
Package data transmitted to FedEx
12:32 PM

Picked up
PITTSBURGH, PA
Tendered at FedEx Kinko's location

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

Tokamak said:
Ok, shipped the gun FedEx.  They charged $8.00 for 3 day shipping with $300.00 coverage.

A good number of their clerks don't know their own rules. Don't assume they do and tell them right off that you want to ship it priority overnight. Wait to see if they ask you how you want it shipped.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

Hopefully you'll get it before they shut down for the holidays. They usually close up shop a week before and after Christmas. Anyone planning to send one in should check with Kel-tec. If they are keeping to their normal routine this year, you'd better send it now!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Have not gotten my P3AT back but I took the wifey's out again and put 50 more through it.

No further glitches.

I had had 2 ftf and 1 fte in the first 30 rounds with her gun.

I guess my original P3at had me spoiled. It had NEVER failed to go bang.

I think that wifey's is broke in now. She has graciously let me borrow it to keep me from withdrawal symptoms while mine is being fixed.

Now that is true love.

Of course I took her to get her carry permit, bought her the gun of her choice, the P3AT and even bought her an all leather carry purse that has a hidden holster in the back.

Everyone gets a kick out of that carry purse. She likes it even as just a purse.

·
Registered
48 Posts

I think they all shoot more reliably after a couple of hundred rounds through them. Wish you good luck with it, Keltec is has great customer service. I walked in a .32 and they changed everything that looked dirty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gun Back

I just got my gun back.

Kel-Tec service gets a thumbs up from me. With no hassles what so ever, they replaced the handle in a reasonable period of time (2 weeks).

They returned my belt clip, box and carry case. They documented their work and even test fired it.

Put me in the contented camper tent.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Two Pistol Packer said:
  KT service shines again! Now you can carry your old one in one pocket and your "NEW" one in another pocket.  ;D

Packer.
Sounds like a good idea, but the other pistol is now in my wife's pistol purse.

However, I am still a 2 gun packer. I carry a Ruger SP101 .357 in the winter - carries well in a COAT pocket - and carry the .380 as a bug. Summer... .380 all the way.

Oh yeah, in the summer I guess I am a single pistol packer. ;D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

When I find that I am packing only one gun in the summer because of size I think that is a good reason to buy another small gun. You can tell your wife your doing it for her since you would never want to leave her unarmed. ;D

P.S. I've been divorced for 25 years so you might want to take this advice with a grain of salt. ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.