Guide rod spring ?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Crazy_Horse, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Hey all i was cleaning my 3AT and noticed the smaller inner spring is bent. Is this normal? Does it effect the pistol in anyway?

2. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    It’s normal, creates no issues :)

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Same with both my P3AT with apparently no ill effect. Guess if it were really really bent or certainly if kinked I'd be concerned.

4. TK421

TK421 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    My 2 cents:  while on the phone with Kel Tec for some other issues, I mentioned that both my inner and outer springs were bent.  They sent me free replacements.  After shooting 50 rounds with the new springs, I noticed the inner spring is bent again.  None of this seemed to make any difference, so I've concluded the bending is perfectly normal.  I figure the guide rod is holding them straight anyway.

5. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I have the same problem.

I called Kel-tec. They sent me new ones free. They said that they will eventually fail. I'm not worried about it. It seems normal. I figure that I will keep an eye on it and when they start to look worn I will replace them.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The springs sometimes take a bend here or there. However, the guide rod keeps them properly oriented. KT uses excellent quality springs that should last up to 2000 rounds.

7. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks for the quick repiles and as always thanks for the help. I love this little gun.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    when you have the springs in the barrel/slide assembly, rotate the outer spring to besure it is not interleafed with the inner. this should ensure that the end coils are resting solidly against the slide and recoil rod head. once a spring has taken a bend, it MAY become selective about orientation when installed, thus try to replace the same direction or at least "feel" as you slowly rack the slide for any jumping of coils