Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range yesterday putting a box of range ammo through my P3AT. Near the end of of the box of 50 I had 2 FTE, jamming the next round under the partially ejected shell. This has never happened before in all of the ammo that I have run through it. The FTE's were easy enough to clear and I went on to finish the box.
When I got home and took down the pistol to clean it I found that the guide rod head had some unusual damage to it.
There are some flat spots on the outside edge and the rim is "hammered" down leaving a sharp edge on the underside where the spring rests against it.
There was some metal flake in the frame-well where the rod head seats.
Anybody seen tis one before?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I`ve been told that this is normal on most P-3s. Rod digs into where it sits in frame. Sand smooth any rough edges on rod head and put it back into frame the same way it came out. I`m sure others will be along soon to tell you more on why it does this. Check for other threads on forum as to this has been taked about from time to time :)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  If you look at your barrel, you will see a very sharp edge just in front of the guide rod socket. You will also see a track scratched on the barrel. During slide cyling, this sharp edge is raked over the guide rod head and will wear a flat spot. This didn't just happen, it takes many rounds to do it.

The cure is to bevel that sharp edge slightly, with a file. Then call KT Service, 1-800-515-9983 and ask for a free new guide rod and might as well get some new recoil springs while you are at it.

Check your button head screw for tightness. If it IS tight, also order a new extractor, spring and new, much harder screw.

Packer.

Are you coming to the NY PA Shootnic on July 31st?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
mine has been like that since day one. and the one that rj installed was like that too. i can't see where it has hurt anything on my slide or my frame.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
That's about the worse one I have seen. I'd replace it. :-/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.