Guide rod base peening/deforming?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TNP3AT, Feb 26, 2011.

1. TNP3AT

TNP3AT New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I have a brand new P3AT that I just completed my CCW qualifications with today. I put 48 rounds of green box Remington umc jhp though it without a hiccup. This was the first time the gun had been fired and I was very happy with my score and impressed with how well the gun performed. After getting home and disassembling it, I noticed the pocket in the frame where the end of the guide rod rests was rather worn looking. After further inspection, the big end of the guide rod was also deformed around the edge. The edge looks flattened and curled toward the spring in two or three places. It looks to me like there is some sort of mechanical interference like the base of the rod was getting pinched between the barrel and the frame somehow. I looked through the forum but couldn't find anything similar. I can confirm that it happened today as I had the gun apart last night and everything looked perfectly fine.

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    It's normal to get a flat spot in the guide rod where it rests against the barrel. Just reassemble it the same way and it won't spread. If it makes you uncomfortable, Kel-Tec will likely send you another for free if you ask, but I'd expect the same wear to show up again.

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    My guide rod has numerous flat spots at the base. It has never failed. I decided I wasn't going to baby my P3AT. The flat spots don't negatively affect the way my P3AT performs so don't give it a second thought on yours.

4. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Mine all did that too. I smooth the end down with some 400 grit sandpaper and put a dab of grease on the end before reassembling...

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the worse that could happen is allowing the wear to go all the way around the head and its diameter reduced so that the outer spring will slip over. But that is the absolute worse ;)

6. TNP3AT

TNP3AT New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks for the replies! :)