Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

grips

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  adamsesq 
#1 ·
Just got my cushions from ktaddons today, put them on with a sleeve grip from Butler Creek and what a difference for my old arthritic hands. Only put about 30 rds thru it but it's easy shooting now. John

#7 ·
TheWrights2004 said:
You need to trim at least 1/16 inch from the bottom front area of the grip sleeve to give some clearance around the magwell. If the sleeve slips down any (or maybe even if it doesn't) you won't be able to insert a mag. Your current setup is VERY unsafe if you carry for CCW!

BTW I have the exact grip sleeve and cushions and think they completely transform the feel of the gun, for the better.

John Davies
Spokane WA

#8 ·
John_E_Davies said:
You need to trim at least 1/16 inch from the bottom front area of the grip sleeve to give some clearance around the magwell. If the sleeve slips down any (or maybe even if it doesn't) you won't be able to insert a mag. Your current setup is VERY unsafe if you carry for CCW!
I haven't noticed any issues BUT will go ahead and take heed to your advice...what can I say...I can never pass up the opportunity for a little trim ;D

TRIM COMPLETE

I'm assuming that you were recommending that I trim it as the grip slightly ran over the bottom of the stock covering the gap between the mag and gun.  I guess there might have been potential for the grip to slip into the gap and cause a feed issue BUT I never experienced this at the range and have even heard of some that have placed an "O" ring just above the mag extension to fill in that gap intentionally.  So, I don't know if it truly would have caused a problem BUT I still trimmed her down anyways just to err on the side of caution.  Thank you for your concern as I'm sure it is better to have it trimmed than not.  I just assumed that this grip was specific to the p3at and was already cut to perfection and didn't want to mess with it.  Again thanks and check out the TRIM job. ;D...I love saying trim ;)

#9 ·
TheWrights2004 said:
[quote author=sniper7369 link=1231613331/0#3 date=1231659391]It looks like those grips add a lot of bulk to the gun, do they?
I'd say that the bulk added is nominal at worst and unnoticeable at best.  The rubber is only about as thick as a credit card, not very thick.  Doesn't hinder any draw ability or conceal ability of the p3at.  All it does is improve the comfort and feel of the gun in your hand :)[/quote]

I agree that the bulk added is minimal. There was a concern that it would hinder use in my holster but after testing there is not enough bulk added to make a difference. What was added was a much better grip. But as stated above it is still in the testing stage so after some rounds have been discharged I will post a second review.

#10 ·
I too agree that the bulk added is minimal. No problems with my holster or anything else. No sir, you won't feel the difference except that it feels better to hold when you shoot it. Not that is was all that bad to begin with.

Oh, and let me pass this on, I use the poor man's grips. Yes, I use a bike tube to fashion my grips. Still not a problem with them.

#12 ·
alioop said:
I too agree that the bulk added is minimal. No problems with my holster or anything else. No sir, you won't feel the difference except that it feels better to hold when you shoot it. Not that is was all that bad to begin with.  

Oh, and let me pass this on, I use the poor man's grips. Yes, I use a bike tube to fashion my grips. Still not a problem with them.
What size bike tube works best? Or are they stretchy enough that it does not matter?. Are the thicker thorn-proof ones good to use?

#16 ·
carmike442 said:
What size bike tube works best? Or are they stretchy enough that it does not matter?.
I've been using pieces off a old tube from my mountain bike and they fit ok.

Are the thicker thorn-proof ones good to use?
I never thought about those. Might have to try one.
Either way I HIGHLY suggest against the ones that come pre-coated with SLIME! ;D ;D ;D

-Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.