Grip warped where the pins is?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by migs849, Oct 23, 2009.

1. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    ok so i bought a used one and went to clean it tonight.  i know know that the ejector fell out, not sure how to put it back in.  also when i look at it from the top, i see that the left side of the gun is warped and sticks out where the pin is.  Any ideas?  Not sure I want to take it to a gunsmith and pay a bunch of money to fix this.

2. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Re: Tech HELP!

also it seems a little hard to pull the slide back. I lubed and cleaned it. basic field strip

3. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009

okay i think i figured out the ejctor and how it goes in. weird part to be lose like that though. not sure of the best way to secure it in there. I am trying to attach a pic of the warped side of the gun. Sorry if the pics suck.[​IMG]

4. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009

ok i think i screwed up since i have no idea how to post a pic apparently, lol. I have issues

5. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
  6. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009

thanks!

[​IMG]

7. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri

uh oh... that looks like grip bulge... you didn't put pressure on the plastic of the grip around the assembly pin when you removed it did you? There is info about this problem around this site... sadly, this fix requires some disassembly and repair of your gun and sometimes a trip back to Kel-Tec if that doesn't work. Look around on this site and you can find some information regarding this issue.

8. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
  9. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    oh crap this is gonna suck lol. I'm starting to regret this purchase.

10. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The owner's manual warns against yanking out the assembly pin without applying pressure against the grip on either side of the pin. What you have done is to pull the pin and the spring it locks into against the grip causing it to bow out. Now the pin will not lock back into place.

You have a several options depending on your skill level.  You can...
    1.  Disassemble the gun and remove the frame from the grip.  Then heat the affected (bowed-out) portion of the grip with a heat gun or even a blow dryer.  Then use a clamp (even a clothes pin) to move (force) the bowed out section back toward the middle and hold it there while the grip cools. That will give a nice tight fit when you reinstall the frame.
    2.  Call KT and order a new grip.  They cost about $30.  Change the grip which requires the same removal of the frame mentioned above.  If you are somewhat mechanically able, none of this is very difficult.
    3.  Send the gun back to KT for repair.  Since you bought it used, it is not covered under the warranty but they would probably just charge you for the grip, if that.

Note:  I don't know if you have a 1st or 2nd generation pistol.  These links show 1st gen guns but for your purposes there is no significant difference.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm

http://www.geocities.com/pocketguns/P32grip.html

11. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    My manual said nothing about applying pressure? I wonder if that is an addidtion to newer version of the manual. Under disassembly mine states: Unload your P-3A. Whle holding the slide back, pull the assembly pin from the pistol. Push barrel back. While holding the slide, slowly let it move forward off the frame. Remove recoil spring and barrel. No further disassembly is recommened. Don't rotatethe firing pin screw, it is factory adjusted. So nothing there said that. Wish i knew before hand.

I will try to take it apart completely. NOt sure of the tools i need and hopefully won't mess anything up. I might call them and see what they would charge. My next step is a gunsmith here in atlanta. not sure of thecosts with that though. Also the ejecotr keeps popping out. I saw saomeone said to glue it in there. any specific type of glue you would recommend?

12. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
  13. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
  14. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    In fact, your manual is several years old. Regarding the ejector, it is captured and can not fall out when the gun is assembled. You simply must remember to remove it and set it aside when you disassemble the gun. Folks who lost one generally keep a spare around. When you assemble the gun, a dab of grease will hold it in place just fine so that it won't fall out upon assembly. I wouldn't glue it in place. FYI, the guns generally work fine without the ejector as the upcoming round will knock out the empties with the possible exception of the last round. ;)

Really, none of what I posted is particularly difficult to do. These guns are easy to work on. From start to finish, I could fix that grip in 15 minutes. Tools... You don't need much. A small hammer and a punch (I use a flattened nail point) to drive out the frame pins. A small/medium flat screwdriver can be used to unhook the hammer spring. After that, ease the frame up out of the grip and look how the hammer bar sits on the right side. Also note the trigger return spring in the groove in the bottom of the trigger bar. There isn't much else to it.

You might call service and tell them what happened. They might just send you a grip. BTW, is that a 1st or 2nd gen pistol? You would need to know.

15. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    KT will probably not charge you anything to look at and fix your gun. As TxCajun has pointed out working on these guns is simple. I do all my own work on my KT handguns and I do it with only one hand. That's how easy it is to work on them. I have yet to come across a problem I couldn't take care of.

16. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Kinda looks like a G1 but it is hard to tell in that pic.

+1 to Tx's post, it may seem a bit difficult but the fix is pretty easy if you follow the instructions closely.

CJ

17. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    I picked up some basic tools from lowes and ****'s. Tihs way i have a basic gunsmithing box. I might try it myself first, especially since i bought a heat gun. I'm not sure if it is 1st or 2nd gen. How can i find that out? Is it on the gun or on the box? Thanks again to everyone for the info. I want to learn how to fix my own stuff, so I will hold off on sending it in.

18. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    ok so i got it taken apart, but like dummy took out the worng pin. Now i dont know how to put parts 273 & 274 back into the gun correctly i can't get it to get in there. Is there a trick or tool?

19. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    well i got that part in then reassembled it. I went to put the pin in and then pulled the slide back. it stuck and wouldn't go forward. So i pulled the pin out a little and then the same warping happened. I think it's time i gave up. Tired of messing with this thing! In your opinion, how much do you think a gun shop would charge me, in case kel-tec doesn't do the repair?

20. migs849

migs849 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    OK so i decided to call kel-tec. I was surprised to have such simple menu options. Just 2! Parts/accessories or customer service, not some long drawn out menu system of button pushes. Told them the problem and they said just ship it in, we'll probably have to replcase the grip. Just put a not on it they said. That is awesome! I'm feeling better about the gun but awesome about the company.