Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my hand issues, at times I've had trouble holding on to the P-32 due to it's thinness; in contrast my Beretta Bobcat is easier to grip because of it's thickness.

I was able to compensate somewhat by adding a rubber DTOM grip sleeve which is similar to the Pachmayr grip sleeve some of you may be using.

I was looking at the one round magazine extension, not for the extra round, but for the added grip surface and the ability to get a better purchase on the grip.
Does anyone find the one round magazine extension to be helpful in this regard?
Also does it hamper pocket carry?

THX

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Mmm. Shouldn't really matter. Apply grip pressure to the front strap and backstrap. Try to feel like you are pushing INTO the pistol with the heel of your thumb, and pulling the frontstrap into your hand with the second segment (thats the bit between the first and second joint) of your middle and ring fingers.

If you feel yourself curling your fingers like you are making a fist, cut it out. A curled fist will create varying side to side pressure, pulling your point of aim left and right as it varies.

This works no matter how thick or thin the pistol is, or no matter how tall the grip is. In fact, trying to get your pinkie on the grip only serves to pull the gun lower in your grip. You want the pistol to sit low in your hand, holding it as high as possible (ie. NO GAP WHATEVER between the arch of your thumb and the tail of the frame (where the 1911 guys put a beavertail).

·
Registered
5 Posts
With my hand issues, at times I've had trouble holding on to the P-32 due to it's thinness; in contrast my Beretta Bobcat is easier to grip because of it's thickness.

I was able to compensate somewhat by adding a rubber DTOM grip sleeve which is similar to the Pachmayr grip sleeve some of you may be using.

I was looking at the one round magazine extension, not for the extra round, but for the added grip surface and the ability to get a better purchase on the grip.
Does anyone find the one round magazine extension to be helpful in this regard?
Also does it hamper pocket carry?

THX
I hit better with my Tomcat than with my P-32 -- probably because the wider grip of the Tomcat fits in my hand better.

To offset that by some, but not completely, I use a Pachmayr glove to fatten up the grip of the P-32 and I use the 10 round magazine to extend.

Generally, I carry the P-32 (with the glove and extended grip) on my belt.

With easy access to a good purchase on the belt, the P-32 is a good choice for me.

When pocket carry is required, I use the Tomcat. It's a bit heavy, but the rubber glove and extended grip of the P-32 don't work for me in the pocket.

I got a belt holster for the Tomcat, but the gun is very top-heavy in the holster and tries to twist away from the body. A good gun belt helped, but there is little reason to bother with my good setup for the P-32.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hit better with my Tomcat than with my P-32 -- probably because the wider grip of the Tomcat fits in my hand better.
Skolnick- agreed....for some of us, the Bobcat/Tomcat just fits the hand better.
Same reason that I had my golf clubs re-gripped with thicker grips, it just makes it easier to hold on to.

I took a chance on a used Tomcat but it had FTE issue right out of the gate so I had no confidence in carrying it. However my .25 Bobcat is flawless and it fits my hand perfectly, a sweet little shooter and fun at the range or plinking. However, much prefer to EDC the largest caliber that I can competently shoot in a pocket pistol and that is .32 ACP.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know that I can shoot better with the 10 round mag my p32, but carry it with the 7 round mag. The difference is just a wider group. But I do practice single and double hand shooting each time at the range. I may look into the grip extension and see how it feels.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark
I just purchased this Pachmayr for my wife's P32 yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NKY6B2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Joe- I like that Pachmayr
The link below has an interesting take on using something called AGrip, paired with a Handall Jr.
Along those lines, wonder if the Pachmayr is stretchy enough to get a wrap of grip tape under it?
This is great, gathering info; some experimentation is in order.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/grip.htm

·
Registered
71 Posts
Only other grips I ever purchased are the Talons. I have them on my LCP and PT111 G2 Millenium.

I wanted something a little meatier for the little P32. My wife is only like 5'4".

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If u r a DIY kinda person due some googling about Bondo and Platsidip for "custom" grips. You could practice on a cheap toy gun to start....Bondo is cheap and add color/dye .
I actually have some Plastidip and bond on hand. The experimentation on a toy gun is a great idea. THX

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Phase 1

Phase 1:
Applied grip tape.
Installed a DTOM Grip sleeve over the tape (The DTOM is identical to the Pachmayr style).

The original width was measured at 0.71"
Adding the grip tape= 0.82"
Adding the grip sleeve= 0.98"

In comparison, my Beretta Bobcat w/CTC grips is 1.28"

Using the +1 Mag as a grip extension.

Will try it out today at the range.

Phase 2:
I'll be picking up another P-32 and the plan is to apply grip tape and install a Hogue Handall Jr. on the grip

Also have Grip Extensions on order from Optics Planet to try out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Back from the range.

100+ rounds with no issues. Grip felt great.
However, no discernible difference with the +1 Mag extension, maybe even a slight edge to the std. mags. Also cancelled my order for the grip extensions. As such, I'll default back to the std. mag for EDC.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Additional info

Apply grip pressure to the front strap and backstrap. Try to feel like you are pushing INTO the pistol with the heel of your thumb, and pulling the frontstrap into your hand with the second segment (thats the bit between the first and second joint) of your middle and ring fingers.
Another aspect that helped was this video from Lucky Gunner. So about a month ago the wife and I started adopting these techniques, and it has helped. The grip technique described in the video sounds much like Pinstriper describes above.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj3IJQFvBqE&index=1&list=FL6buigg9nmOtKFm3Pxp7H5Q&t=70s[/ame]

In the past I'd have random stovepipes and FTE with my original P-32. That lead me to carry my LCR revolver EDC. Glad to have the confidence again to carry the P-32.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Phase 2 complete

Phase 2:
I'll be picking up another P-32 and the plan is to apply grip tape and install a Hogue Handall Jr. on the grip
Applied grip tape and the Hogue Handall Jr. over it.

The palm swell measures 1.00" (phase 1 version was 0.98)

Not sure witch version I like better. Will try both at the range and that should decide it.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the Pachmyer on my P32 and a Houge on my PF9. I prefer the Pachmyer version. I think the little holes add to the grip more than just the little bubbles that both have. Never had any slippage problems so never used the grip tape.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.