Grip Extension

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Old_Bill, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    How difficult is it to install a Kel Tec Grip Extension on a P-3AT magazine?

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Not hard, takes a minute or so.

MAGAZINE DISASSEMBLY
    Hold the magazine firmly with the bottom facing away. Insert a small punch or similar
    tool a quarter inch into the hole in the center of the bottom plate, pushing down
    on the spring bottom plate. Slide the bottom plate off with your thumb,
    making sure to hold the spring as the bottom plate is removed.

Keep holding the spring and bottom plate with your finger/thumb and slide the new extension in place.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET THE SPRING GET AWAY FROM YOU! You'll be chasing it for a week.

Rick

3. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Rick, thanks for the information!

4. Rich got it for ya....about the same as taking any magazine base off.

What kind (Brand) did you get?

5. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I haven't bought any so far. Is there other brands other than Kel Tec??

6. North American Arms makes one for their 380 mags that will work fine.

Shcere ( I can never spell that) makes one that has a cheker board pattern on the front,

Kel-Tek makes and sell a +1 round extender.

Bersa has a smooth face pinky grip extender.

Seems like I heard that Kel-Tec is selling the sherer.

I think just about any .380 mag base type grip extender will work.

This is my 9 round extended magazine with a (I think) NAA pinky extender.

[​IMG]

The extender on the gun is a Bersa I think.

It has been awhile since I fooled with my 3AT mags-  so I may have gotten the extenders switched around.

7. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Egads! I thought there was only one decision to make! Either decide to buy one from KelTec or not!

Now, I see that I've got to look at several different brands, and then decide which one to buy!!

Is nothing ever simple? ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Nu_Agin_Shooter for the information!!

8. Information?

More like confusion- Do you know how to use the seach feature here?

I am sure you can find links to websites with all of the options.

9. CandRFan

CandRFan New Member

Jun 28, 2008
    I installed the Kel-Tec +1 mag extender on a new mag just last week. Assembly was simple (I did have just a tad bit of a problem getting the little tab in the new bottom plate to lock into the hole in the mag extender, but I just had to do some extra jiggling.)

Fit and finish is good and I have no problems loading the extra round.

10. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    I chose the Kel-Tec +1 ext. they keep the "size" right for me. Which is why I like the P3AT. Hope you find the one you want.
    [​IMG]

11. bpd371

bpd371 New Member

Jun 27, 2008

+1

love the +1 exension.  I had the KT brand finger extension but replaced it with the +1 I just installed.  BTW installation took me about 2 minutes, very easy.
    [​IMG]

12. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008

+1

love the +1 exension.  I had the KT brand finger extension but replaced it with the +1 I just installed.  BTW installation took me about 2 minutes, very easy.
    [​IMG][/quote]

Thanks everyone! After reading the different comments, I've decided that the Kel Tec +1 will fit my hand much better than the finger extension, so that is what I'm ordering.

Since I'm such an excellance markman, I don't believe I will ever need the extra round.  ::) ::) ::) However, the grip will feel much better I'm sure!

Thanks again,

Old Bill

13. DaveNC

DaveNC Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I have the Keltec + 1 as well and really like it. It makes sense to have an extension that includes extra ammo capacity. I wouldn't have purchased it without the +1 feature.

14. CandRFan

CandRFan New Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Just wanted to post a pic.   :)

[​IMG]

15. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    And a very lovely pic. it is! ;D

I do like the looks of the +1 extension! But, the fact is that I also like the looks of the KelTec grip extension!

Old Bill

16. CandRFan

CandRFan New Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Why, thank you!

Yeah, I can understand your thinking. I ended up going with the +1 for the extra round. I think if Kel Tec flared the bottom of the +1 a bit it would be a no-brainer. I had some worries about the +1 not really being able to fit the extra round, based on some online reviews I had read, but I figured for the $13.49 I spent on it that it would be worth the risk to try it for myself.

It works just fine, plus my ring finger now has a nice solid base to support it.