Grip Bulge

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Checker4Tix, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    When I bought my HC/Green P3AT a while back from another KTOG member it came to me with the infamous frame grip bulge. How it got this way I do not know.

I took the gun completely apart, including removing the frame from the grip, to clean and inspect. While it was apart I gently squeezed the grip in a clamp for a couple of days and it seemed to return to its proper shape. I reassembled as usual and all was good.

Today I took it out to the range. On about the 10th round of some old Ranger T ammo I had my first ever squib round. I heard the primer pop but no bang. I field stripped the gun to inspect and noticed the take down spring was out of its place and bulging the grip again. Oh, and the bullet was still in the barrel. The range officer took it back to the shop and removed it for me. Nice guy! No KB this time.

Anyway, is it possible that the take down pin spring popped out during recoil. Or is it more likely that it popped out when I pulled out the take down pin to inspect. This has never happened to me before. When I take it apart tomorrow, what should I look for to indicate (or not) that the frame is damaged? Is there a permanent fix I can do short of sending it back to KT?

I did a search on this and it seems that most of the time the frame bulge occurs when removing the takedown out. And it appears that this is often solved by pressing down on either side of the grip when removing the pin. Sounds easy enough if this is all there is to it. Just wondering if there is some magical KTOG mod one of you guys have discovered to prevent this from happening again.

And, after reassembling the gun (with the bulge) I fired another 7 rounds of that old Ranger T ammo. Got my second ever squib round on the last try. This time the bullet cleared the barrel though. Both times the unburnt ammo was a real mess.

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Re: Frame Bulge

Yep.
    Pressing down on both sides of the pin when you take it out is all it takes.

You can also remove the frame and heat the grip with a hair dryer until you can squeeze it together some and keep it that way when it cools off.

But still, press down on the frame when you pull the pin and you won't have a problem.

Damage to the frame from firing with the pin partially out would cause the holes in the frame to be dinged on the right side hole from the end of the pin slipping forcefully out, or ovaled from the pin impact being only on the left side hole.

rc

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  4. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    OK, thanks guys. I haven't had a chance to fix it yet, but I'll try the hair dryer idea to see if that will help keep things together better. I won't get to try it out for a few days, though. I'm still breaking it in.