Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here been using grease on the slides and hood? With summer approaching and using this / similar sub-compacts in my front pocket, I'm concerned that even my top-rated gun oils at home may seep and enter-in my pockets / purses. BTW..... I am not the oiler that only uses a drop here and a drop there. I am more like Hickok45........ my handguns are a wee-bit wet when reassembling them.

So I've tossed around the idea of less oil and more grease as the weather starts showing signs of warming up, yet realize the actions on these micro conceal carries are not like that of 1911s, which the Grease Crowd seems to use a-lot on. Also my wife and two grown girls are all getting their CPL/CCW carry licenses in another month and they will be carrying their mini pistols in their purses.

Guess who's been asked to clean, maintain and oil all these guns?....... dear ol' dad / husband...... me. I don't want them complaining about oil in their purses. So the idea of going full-throttle into grease exists right now. But can these tiny guns (738 / LCP / P32 / Pico....etc) with weaker actions handle the thicker grease without issues?

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
You want grease where metal parts slide against one another.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never use a front pocket holster with my Ruger or arriving Glock 42. But my wife will include one for her purse, once her CPL/CCW license arrives in the mail.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
I never use a front pocket holster with my Ruger or arriving Glock 42. But my wife will include one for her purse, once her CPL/CCW license arrives in the mail.
Please. Please, always use a holster which covers the trigger when carrying in any method, particularly in the pocket.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Only time my right-front pocket sees a holster is when I'm doing physical work or play with the grandkids outdoors.

You're not changing my mind - nobody here is...... sorry! I have trained that pocket for pistol-only for more than a year now. Everything is A-OK there. I know when not to use it there and when to remove it, should something physical arise, which is hardly never at my senior age.

Have a great weekend and thanks for the participation in this thread iklawson.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't understand using lots of oil/grease. the only lube that counts is where the 2 pieces contact and a tiny coat there is all you need. It's not like you are lubing a V-8 where you need a flow of oil to cool things down and where you have extreme pressures and rapid repetitive sliding on the order of thousands of times a minute (unless you are concealed carrying an MG42). Any lubricant outside the areas of contact just act as an attractant for dust and dirt.

·
Registered
740 Posts
No grease here, just a good cleaning after every practice and a VERY thin coat of oil (Mobil One Full Synthetic) only where parts move: rails, assembly pin, inside top of barrel hood, bottom of slide where hammer rides...nothing on the slide stop or trigger bars at all...absolutely nothing on the firing pin or in the firing pin channel...

·
Registered
277 Posts
i clean well using a nylon brush, then use a Break Free CLP-PS Precision Shooter to oil wear spots (and carry an oiler pen filled w/CLP in the range bag)

willie
on the warming Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Thanks Tx. Good to know gun grease won't slow the little man down.
My KTs, both current & past, P32, P3AT, P11 & P40 won't run past a mag or two with oil only. Some of them would slow down & stop cycling reliably sooner than that.

I grease all my semi autos.

Reactions: gordon11
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.