Grease

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by joes, Apr 22, 2008.

1. joes

joes New Member

Apr 19, 2008
    What is the best grease for the rails???

thanks

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    You can spend more money and get "specialized" gun grease like tetra, etc, but automotive wheel bearing grease is fine and cheap. I use militec because they sent me a free sample that has not run out. Wilson prefers Slick 50. A can is a lifetime supply for several generations or shooters. ;D

3. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    How lucky for me! haven't found any grease in the gun departments of sporting goods stores, so I picked up a can of bearing grease in the hardware store the other day and applied it when cleaning the mousegun, glad to hear it gets your rec. Will prob shoot it tomorrow as I plan to test some carry ammo for a Mak. that I just got via mail-order (the ammo, that is).

-moleman

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    +1 on the free Militec but I am still trying to use up my tube of Pro-Shot Pro-Gold Lubricant, which is very good as well.

5. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I like the anti-seize engine stuff from any auto parts store. Usually has moly and graphite in a lithium base. It doesn't seem to harden like regular lithium white grease or turn rancid and separate like Tetra. Super cheap, $5 bucks will probably last forever. Marketed gun grease is overhyped and way too expensive.
    If you want the absolute slickest stuff I have ever felt, get the copper or silver antiseize from autozone. Comes in a can. Absolutely amazing slickness, however if it gets on you or your clothes it never comes off, which is the only reason I bypass it.

6. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Best grease for the rails? What ever is handy. ;)

7. Lynnsky

Lynnsky New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    I'm nearly out of my free Militec grease and got some white lithium grease -- don't like it. When you guys use the wheel bearing grease, or any grease for that matter, have you found a way to put a nice thin uniform bead of it along the rails or do you just use toothpicks or broken off Q tips and the like? I'd like to be able to run a very thin line right where I want -- kind of like using a syringe I guess. Wonder if you can buy those or do they freak at Wally World if you ask to buy a syringe? Thanks to anybody who can help me out on this -- it is appreciated!

Regards.
    Lynnsky

8. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

If you want full control of how much gets in the slide channel, a toothpick can do the job. When the point breaks off evenly, ( or you cut it off, ) it's perfect.  The syringe on the TW25B is difficult because the grease doesn't respond evenly to the amount of pressure you use. People tell me that too much grease on the slide channel can actually be bad, I think they're right.

9. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    Pink Flamingo....waterproof, best of all, FREE...gpr

10. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    I use Slick 50 One Grease. I bought a can about 8 years ago and have about 98% of it left. I bought it at Wal-Mart but haven't seen it there for awhile. I saw it in a tube last time I saw it, believe that was at Ace Hardware.

11. What is Pink Flamingo and how do you get it free? I am assuming this is not a "slick as owl sh*t on a mossy limb" joke! ;D

FWIW... I use pro shot gold (I think that is what it is called) in the syringe applicator. It is one of the over hyped over priced specialty gun greases.

Yes it cost a bit more... but I have had the tube for a long time and it is so handy and easy to use. I keep it in my tool box that has all my gun tools and cleaning supplies.

12. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    my brother is a heavy equipment operator, he uses it to lube his back hoe...it really is good stuff, waterproff.....great for boat trailer bearings and such....his casa, my casa, hence free....gpr

13. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I like the broken off toothpick idea. That's the reason I come here. Good advice from trial and experience ,cause I am always applying too much in one spot and spreading with a Qtip which sheds cotton "hairs"

That and the card trick for pulling the assembly pin have been nice ideas. We should start a hints for heloise gun section for homespun advice and tricks for maintenance.

14. We have... it is called KTOG!

15. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
  16. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008

OK...I must have missed it!  What's the "card trick" for pulling the assembly pin?  I've just been prying with the rim of a snap cap and then pulling it with my fingers and it seems to come out pretty easily.

17. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I was trying to pull the assembly pin, and got recommendations to use a taped jewelers screwdriver since you have to leverage against the slide.

Another member recommended, I forget who I am sorry, to stick a regular waxed playing card behind the pin before using a small screwdriver.
    Works perfect, no tape needed, you can pry out the pin and not damage the slide finish at all. Throw the Playing card in your gun cleaning kit for next time.
    Brilliant simplicity.

18. Blarelli

Blarelli New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I've found that eezox is better then grease.

19. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Instead of a toothpick I now use a wooden Starbucks coffee stirrer -- sharpened and shaped to do the job at hand.

In the past half year gotten to like eezox too, tho typically use slick 50, bearing grease or detergent mobil.