Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Anything that is thick and gooey. One can debate the merits of many kinds of grease and there are some great gun specific greases out there. But as this is not a high temperature high pressure application like wheel bearings as an example, I am pretty comfy with anything called grease. I filled up a 35mm film canister of whatever was in the closest grease gun I had in the barn and that is doing fine and will last me forever.

-Scott

G

·
I use grease.

I forget the name, but it is gun specific. It comes in a plunger type applicator and is a VERY thick red grease.

After cleaning I give everything a light coating of spray oil, then wipe it all down.

Then I use a toothpick and apply the grease (NOT sparingly) to the rails on the frame, the grooves in the slide, under the slide where it glides over the hammer, the hammer, under the trigger bar, and I think that is about it.

After all of that, I run the slide back and forth several times on the frame, assemble, and run snap caps through at least a dozen times to ensure function as best I can without actually firing.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
bombtech said:
What kind of grease have you found works the best on the rails?
About 10 years ago, I picked up a 1lb can of “Slick 50 One Grease” (excellent for wheel bearings) for $3 or $4 from my local auto parts store. Based on the amount remaining, I should be OK through June of 2020.

Wilson – who’s remembering the old saying of “a little dab will do it” :D

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
Any grease will do the job. I use Gunslick only because I still have some left in the tube from years and years ago.

I do grease heavier for a trip to the range than I do for normal carry tho. For selfdefense I don't think I'll need the gun to run longer than 25 rounds.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I use wheel bearing grease, because................thats what I had in the basement when I needed something.

Works fine. That tub of grease is 30 years old and will still outlast me.

I do clean and re-oil and re-grease my P3AT every 1-2 weeks because of pocket lint, and the never ending fight against rust.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
No grease for me.....
paraffin wax based teflon....
But I don't shoot a thousand rounds a month either ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just picked my P-3AT up today and after what I've read here, I'm going close my eyes and grab the first lube/grease out of the cleaning kit. It's all real good stuff anyway and worked fine on the P-32.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
There's quite a bit of difference in grease in my opinion. Synthetic grease doesn't dry out, turn brown and start stinking like regular grease will. If you ever worked on old trailer wheel bearings you'd know what I'm talking about. An old trailer that's been sitting for many years will look like crap inside the hub but synthetic grease won't break down like that. If you ever tried to clean any grease off a metal surface you'd also find that synthetic grease won't just wipe off it'll leave a film. Regular grease cleans off a lot easier.

I use Slick 50 Multi Purpose grease on the outside and inside of my slide besides on the slide rails plus a thin coat over the entire barrel. A thin coat on the outside of the slide will leave a film 10 times longer than oil will and keep it from rusting even after holstering and re holstering many times.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
flounder22 said:
Just where could one buy some of this paraffin wax based teflon?
Lowes....Dupont multi-lube teflon... they keep changing its name... last was "Performance Lube" in a blue bottle

·
Registered
255 Posts
Posted by: charles1198 Posted on: Apr 20th, 2007, 4:10pm
Militec-1 Oil and Grease on all my guns.

Same for Me. Seems to be working fine, and after the first application, I use it to clean the gun also. As per instructions.

edited for mis-spelling. What is the trick on quoting others?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.