Gray and Blue, opposite of Blued and Gray

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by GoldenLoki, Feb 12, 2010.

1. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
  2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Nice looking but I think a deeper/darker blue would appeal to me more. But hey, there is no disputing taste  :)

Take care...

3. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Hmmm, I think it would look good with my golf slacks!!
    Dave

4. Mike630

Mike630 New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Looks good. How durable is it?

5. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008

GL

6. Alton

Alton New Member

Jun 17, 2006
       Very nice looking gun  :eek:

7. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Pretty nice. Thanks for the pics.

I noticed the little pimple just above the front of the trigger guard by the slide area on the lower picture. I thought my P3 was the only one to have that little "blemish" but it would appear perhaps they all have that.

Is that their mark of excellence? ;)

8. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I use it as an index reference for my trigger finger when in a ready position.

I'm not sure if this is its intended purpose or just a case of making lemonade from a lemon.

GL - pessimistic optimist

9. acmarauder

acmarauder New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Another fine finish on a great handgun. Props to you and the quality of your work.

10. Klutch

Klutch New Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Great job! I'm not a fan of the North Carolina blue but the gray is real nice. Do you have any pics of the gray slide with a black frame?

11. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Unfortunately, no. All the extra grips I have are gray :(

GL

12. Klutch

Klutch New Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Thanks anyway, you do a great job!

13. samwathegreat

samwathegreat New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Just curious - My P3AT has the gray frame with hard chrome slide.

The slide always kinda looks dirty. I wish I had a picture to share, but it looks like it has smears where the color is slightly darker than the rest of the slide - mostly on the sides. Could be holster wear from carrying it around in a pocket holster.

Anyways, can you nickle plate or duraplate a hard chromed slide? Or is that just a silly idea? I'm just not to fond of it looking like I haven't cleaned it.

Thanks for any advice.

-samwathegreat

14. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Both nickel and chrome help to protect against rust and also change the look.

I may not know enough about the processes, but seems like you wouldn't want to do both as one or the other is all you need.

I believe the chrome is a harder finish than the nickel...someone help me out here if I'm wrong. The discoloration is probably only bothering you from an aesthetic standpoint. I'm sure the gun doesn't even know it...unless you told it... :-/

15. samwathegreat

samwathegreat New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    You're exactly right - the "blemishes" are purely asthetic - absolutely nothing to do with function. The gun fires perfectly & I'm very happy with it. I just like for my stuff to look clean and new. I guess I'll just have to get over it :)

Thanks for the response.

16. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    When I saw the "Gray and Blue" subject I thought it would be an American Civil War themed job.

Which would have been cool (though this is nice too).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    very nice.i like it alot :)

18. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Well, a lot of people here on KTOG have had their kel-tec(s) nickel plated.  They may chime in and would be able to tell you more about nickel.  All I've understood is that it is a good plating metal, but a little soft.

19. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    You can Duracoat over hard chrome, no problem.

GL

20. samwathegreat

samwathegreat New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    GL,

Is this something you would suggest? I imagine it would take care of the blemishes, but then what benefit is it for me to have the HC Slide? I mean - I paid extra for it because I wanted the silver. Seems like I should have just went with the plain black one if I had known...

I'm considering your duraplate service - it would be great to have a custom color scheme. Another question though - when you duraplate the slide, is it possible to remove the extractor or ejector or whatever that metal thing is attached with the hex screw off first? I noticed that most of the pistols in your gallery have that part duraplated also.

Thanks.