Grandfather Oak vs Galco pocket holsters

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by brotherjethro, Nov 30, 2007.

1. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Hi all,

Some holster talk, if you don't mind:

I just got a Grandfather Oak kydex holster and have carried with it a few times.  My opinion so far is mostly positive:  It's inexpensive, super-thin, safe, comfortable, stays put well, and the gun never moves around in it.  The "thin factor" was a huge influence in my choice:  After carrying without a holster (yeah, I know...) the last thing I want is to feel like I've doubled the gun's width.

But I'm not 100% sold on it yet:  I find drawing from it to be quite awkward & slow.  This could be partly due to my choice in pants:  I wear Levi's 501 jeans every day (unless it's shorts weather) and the pocket openings aren't as big as some.  But I think it also has to do with how well the kydex conforms to the gun.  In fact, it conforms so well that the gun prints just as bad with or without the holster.  Also, the "horizontal extension" at the bottom (how else to describe it?) seems too large and I may have to cut part of it off (makes my pants look funny sometimes).

Anyway, on to my main point:  In another thread, several people said they have the Galco pocket holster for their P3AT.

The Galco was also high on my list, but I'm a little concerned about the overall thickness (gun + 2 layers of leather).  No dealers in my area have them available for examination, so I have a few questions:

(1) Which exact holster do you have?  There appear to be two different Galco pocket holsters for the P3AT:

There's the "FRONT POCKET HORSEHIDE HOLSTER" for $56:   http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=2419&GunID=314
    And the "POCKET PROTECTOR HOLSTER" for $25: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=3224&GunID=314

(2) How do you feel about the overall bulk of the holster?

(3) Does it stay put in your pocket?  Does the gun stay secure?

(4) Is it easy to draw from?  (And what sort of pants are you wearing?  Am I allowed to ask that?   :eek: )

Anything else you can say about it?

2. Phil

Phil New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    I've had the $25 Galco pocket holster for a little over a month now and find it to do a fine job of not printing in my front pocket.The leather is not as thick as you might think. It seems to have some thin flat metal stiffener in the lower corner(the hook shape if you have seen a picture) and another strip around the mouth of the holster to adjust retention and hold open for re-holstering. I usually wear Wrangler carpenter jeans (big pockets). I like it.

3. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Thanks for the reply.  In the photo, that one appears to be open on the bottom, is that right?  Anyone have opinions on open vs. closed?  On the plus side, I would think open is smaller.

4. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Hey, Brotherjethro,

I have the Horse Hide Galco Pocket holster, and like it very much.  It's extremely well-made, holds the P3AT very firmly, and doesn't shift around in my pocket.  One of the things I like best, is that while it protects the trigger, it also has a cut-away, so that you can actually begin your draw from the pocket, and the holster stays put, just as it should! The Galco is open at the bottom, and that has never been a problem with me.  

Just about every holster has good, and also some bad points.  The above things are the good.  The "bad" is that the holster does "print" ever so slightly.  But, this is really not much of a problem, it's just different than I'm used to.  The KelTec is replacing my old, and cherished, NAA .22 Maggie, which I have carried for well over 10 years, in a Thad Rybka pocket holster. This little thing just disappears in my pocket, yet has always been there providing a sense of security, small though it is!  The P3AT is just bigger, and there's no getting around that.  So, while the gun/holster combo seems to "print" more, most folks would probaby never notice it.

I wear baggy jeans for daily wear, and Docker-type pants for more dressy occasions.  From the Dockers, the gun presents perfectly, and most of the time from the jeans, too.  But, with a few older pairs of jeans, which are a bit tighter than I normally like to wear, my right hand ring can get caught up as I draw the pistol from my pocket.  So, if you wear tighter jeans, or have a ring on your right hand, this is something about which you should be aware.  For what it's worth....

But, overall, I love the little Galco Horse Hide Pocket holster, and it's working well for me.  One additional note, a friend gave me a cheap-o synthetic holster, made by Action Direct.  While I like the Galco MUCH better than this one, it does have it's place.  When wearing really dressy clothes, when the pants are thinner and more soft then jeans or Dockers, the synthetic holster does a better job of not printing, than does the Galco.  So, I keep both, each for it's own tasks, and so far, I've been very happy with that combination.  Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

5. Phil

Phil New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Doc Mark pretty much covered it. I'm still pretty new to this pocket carry (always carried a Glock 27 inside the waist-band) thing. Yes it is open on the bottom I don't believe this to be a problem with pocket holsters as long as you don't carry anything in that pocket but the pistol. tighter jeans seem to be harder to draw from and I see a gun in them when I look in the mirror , but the wifey says she can't tell its a gun. So i think looser is better when picking out pants. I hope this helps Phil.

6. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    I, personally, wouldn't use a pocket holster that is open at the bottom. Even if you don't put anything else in the pocket, I would still have issues. Have you ever reached for change in your pocket and come out with a handful of lint (Where the heck did that come from?) Especially when there are plenty of closed holsters available, I just wouldn't take the chance of having a barrel full of gunk. I just bought an Uncle Mike's for ten bucks. Ten bucks!!

-Matt

7. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Hey, Matt,

I guess what it comes down to in all this, is to use whatever works for you. As mentioned earlier, I've carried that little NAA for over 10 years, in an open bottom pocket holster, and in all that time, lint, or not, it's always gone "BANG", when I've pulled it out at the range and let fly! Never failed, with lint, or without it. So, I'm not too worried about a little pocket lint, as it's never been a problem with me. But, if it has been a problem for you, or anyone else, then it's best to choose your holsters accordingly.

I have a friend who is a huge bit larger than I, and he has a dickens of a time trying to conceal just about any handgun! Why? I do not know, for sure, other than comfort. After having done so for many years, I'm very comfortable continuing to do so, while, so far, he has not found that "comfort zone", and thereby worries all the time about things which I no longer consider. He will eventually find whatever works for him, just like I've had to do, and just like all pistol packers have to do. Truthfully, that's part of what makes all this so interesting and fun, isn't it!? :cool: :cool: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

8. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Hi all,

Well I used the Grandfather Oak today while doing Christmas shopping at the mall and some other stores.  After about 5 more hours of carry, the holster is starting to conform more to my shape, and I practiced drawing some more (not at the mall :eek:) and have started to get better at it.

Maybe I just need more time with this holster -- we'll see.  Sounds like either Galco is a good choice, so I may try one of those eventually.

Regarding the printing:  I looked in the mirror and although it's plain that something is there, it really just looks like I'm carrying a wallet in my front pocket -- I suspect most people would never think it was a gun.

9. qcatrader

qcatrader New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I've used the Galco pocket holster for several months with no problem. I generally wear Dockers khaki slacks and blue jeans on weekends.

I like the flat wire that holds it open to reholster, but I could do without that as that's the part that's easy to see at times. It's not like a duty weapon that needs to be drawn and holstered several times a shift. I'm even thinking of just cutting that part off.

Prior to this I used a cloth Uncle Mike's pocket holster and that worked well, but really printed when I would sit in a booth or at a table in a restaurant. After a few years it simply wore out at the muzzle end.