Got one!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Phokis, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Phokis

Phokis New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Hey all, been watching the forums for the past couple of weeks. First before I got my new p3at and then after for info on how to make it work properly. I have to say this is one of the most well organized forums I have seen in a long time.

So far when I open her up I could see the machine marks on the ramp but it felt smooth so I will wait until I can take to the range and try to feed a couple of different types of ammo. I have read that a lot of the recent 2nd gen owners are able to shoot without needing the "Rampectomy" That is if I can find any decently priced ammo down in SFL.

Ordered an extra mag and two +1 mag extensions from keltec and should be getting my glaco pocket holster in the mail today.

Thought about painting the sights and IWB holster since that is how I am used to carrying.

2. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Welcome Phokis....

Got my P3at a year ago...
    All I did was clean it up...grabbed 4 boxes of FMJ rounds and headed to the range.  After a couple hundred rounds...things were smooth and worked fine.  Never did the fluff & buff.  Figured I'd smooth it up by shootin it.

Now I have approx. 1000 round thru it and have never had any problems with it.  
    I kept it factory and small (the reason I bought it) and never added anything to it.

I like the fact that I can grab it...put it in my front pocket and forget about it.
    It's no good if you leave it at home or in the car because it's too big to carry comfortably.

Again Welcome...enjoy.

3. Phokis

Phokis New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    I got the belt clip on it, I just dont like the open trigger just sitting there.

Thanks for the welcome.

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome!

IMHO your P3AT is a great choice for pocket carry. Did you find it difficult to choose the P3AT over the other 380s now available?

Take care...

5. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Welcome Aboard, Stick around a while, you'll learn lots of tips and tricks. I love mine and carry it either in my front pocket or IWB. Either way, I love it's size and ease of concealment. Personally, I wouldn't add any add ons or extensions because I bought it for it's size.

6. herbertj

herbertj New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    keep it clean and lubed, lots of recoil to deal with.

7. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Welcome Phokis! She is a bad-*** little pistol, is she not? ::)

I'm having a love affair with mine... ;)

8. Phokis

Phokis New Member

Sep 3, 2009

Yes, I was dead set on getting the 3AT until they showed me the sig 238 then I really had a hard time deciding only that it was alot more expensive cause it had the rose grips. Plus I had also not done the research.

Finally found ammo this weekend "wwb" and got a box of Hornady JHP will be hitting up the range this week so I can finally carry. Don’t want to be walking around without tested ammo or gun for that matter.

9. Phokis

Phokis New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    So I took it to the range today for the first time.

100 rds and the only issue that I had was that the +1 mag would not seat properly without a little jiggle. After a while i got used to it. I read around the forum and saw that simple file down of the mag plate will resolve the issue.

Other than that I was quite impressed with accuracy and handle of the gun.

+1 for the Keltec P3AT

Though my hand did not feel sore I do see my self adding the houge grip to it, so that it would add a little more enjoyment to the shotting process. Also I think some paint on the sights will help get on target quicker.

10. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I too, took mine out to the range yesterday. 90 rounds of Fiocchi FMJ. This little gun never skipped a beat. Not one hiccup. I haven't added anything, so I'm shooting six rounds at a time.
    If I had to find a fault, I would agree with you on the sights issue. I've read on this forum that folks used a certain paint on their sites. I'll have to do some research on that.
    Overall, I have no issue with this gun as my carry weapon. It disappears in my front pocket in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster.
    I've read on various sites the complaints about carrying a .380. It may not have the punch of a 45 or 357, but I feel absolutely confident this little gun will do the job if it ever comes to crunch time.

11. Phokis

Phokis New Member

Sep 3, 2009

While the 357 and 45 are better at stopping power and wound size, I feel like if I find my self in a situation where I need more than 6 or 7 rounds of a 380 than I probably have bigger problems than needing just one handgun.