Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was field stripping it to remove the slide and check the innards, the slide would not move past the muzzle end of the barrel for complete removal. It was hanging up on the muzzle nut. I put some lube on the outside of the muzzle nut and did a light tap on the rear of the slide with a rubber mallet and it came off. I could've removed the nut but the lube idea came to mind first. Since I have another P17 I can swap parts to find out who the offending culprit is. Looking forward to a range trip!

·
Grand Poobah
1,434 Posts
I have two with consecutive serial numbers, and one does that and the other doesn't. I just push the muzzle against the edge of the table and push the slide until it snaps past the tight spot. I will swap thread protectors and see if it makes a difference.

I would say this might be a case of tolerance stacking.

buzzsaw

·
Grand Poobah
1,434 Posts
I swapped the thread protectors and discovered a couple of things. The difficulty in taking them apart was about the same. The tight one was only slightly tighter if any. The looser one didn't change. More importantly, the front of the slide is bent to a 90 degree angle to the rest of the slide, which is probably the specification. The looser one looks exactly square. The tight one looks bent slightly more so that the angle is a little less than 90 degrees. To remove the slide you have to lift the back up enough for the bolt to clear the trunnion. If you lift it too far, the edge of the hole for the barrel will bind on the thread protector. When the angle at the front of the slide is less than 90 degrees, just clearing the trunnion is enough to bind the edge of the hole on the thread protector.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
92 Posts
The first couple of times I took the slide off mine was frustrating....would not go beyond the thread protector, twisting and turning and doing everything to get it off. The fourth or fifth time and from then on it just slides off with no problem. Never did figure out what I am doing differently compared to the first few times. Also put a new grip cover on.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Office supplies

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gru7_Mech. I guess that's all part of the break-in process! I opted for "either or" and the tan one became available first (Rural King) . I also bookmarked a store called "Locked & Loaded" but they've been out for a while. They have excellent pricing. I put on an extra Pachmyer grip that I had laying around. Looks just like yours.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the grip sleeve on my Glock 43x. It is not a super tight fit but not loose either. If they sold a front sight like the slide cover in tan, changing both out would look good on a black gun

·
Registered
92 Posts
Went to the range this morning and fired off a bunch of Win Super X ammo. No hiccups, burps, or malfunctions. She performs just like my black P17.
Great news for the Tan one. Never have shot the Win Super X ammo, only the cheap 555 box ammo. Have to find some and try it. I wanted to go to the range today, but having some back problems after cutting branches off a tree and cutting them up yesterday. Want to fine tune the laser I put on it and try some SK ammo I found at the LGS. I did drill the witness holes in one mag this morning...I have a loader for .22 someplace in this house but can not find it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had reported the same issue with mine in my first video on the P17

A month latter I was admiring the fast field strip as a means for malfunction clearing.

As I was field stripping it to remove the slide and check the innards, the slide would not move past the muzzle end of the barrel for complete removal. It was hanging up on the muzzle nut. I put some lube on the outside of the muzzle nut and did a light tap on the rear of the slide with a rubber mallet and it came off. I could've removed the nut but the lube idea came to mind first. Since I have another P17 I can swap parts to find out who the offending culprit is. Looking forward to a range trip!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
After using the p17 for a year or longer i have come to appreciate the efficiency of the paddle mag release. Once you use them you begin to wander why the button mag release is still being used.
You never have to break your grip to change mags. Much more efficient method.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts