Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took about 3 weeks - cant complain....thats pretty fast in my book.

I sent it in for 3 problems. Failure to extract, nasty barrel (pitting) and cracked grip.

I only had 2 failures in 300 rounds and the barrel was accurate enough so I was going to overlook the first two and work on them until the third problem cropped up.

I sent a very detailed 3 page letter with pictures of the failures, problems and contact information.

When I received my pistol back there was a work order.

They replaced the grip, worked over the chamber area, polished the feed ramp and replaced the slide.

They did NOT replace my pitted barrel....that left me less than impressed.

Also the grip is far darker then the original.....I like the darker better but its definitely noticeable. Its more real OD green now....before it was to light colored. Another thing I noticed was a noticable bow near the takedown pin. Looks like hell.

So I lubed it up and took it out with 125 rounds. 100 rounds were Remington JHPs and the last 25 were Winchester Ranger LEO JHPs.

During about the third magazine full I had a round not go fully into battery - had to smack the back of the slide. After that no other failures in 125 rounds.

The only complaint I have is the grip bow....doesnt look the best. I wonder if it will ever effect function. The spring stays in place when removing the pin just fine.........just looks bad. Does anyone else have this and does it cause problems?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK....figured out the grip bulge. I kept looking at it thinking something just wasnt right.

Now before anyone says otherwise I received the gun like this....I noticed this bulge before taking it apart the first time - fresh out of the box.

But after some poking around near the takedown pin spring I got it popped back into place. Now the grip looks normal.

Apparently everything didnt get put back together just right from Kel-Tec....but all is well now.

Im still unimpressed they did not replace my barrel....also not spare goodies.

But I got a functioning gun (so far) so Im overall happy.

My wife and I will shoot another 100 thru it today sometime....that will either put it in the yay or nay spot for carry.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
KT barrels are known to be rough. You might just have got a normal one. On the other hand, If you are REALLY not satisfied, call and complain to customer service. 1-800-515-9983. They might be willing to send you a new barrel with a mailer for you to return the bad one.

Packer.

G

·
fear not I would bet your barrel doesn't compare to one of the barrels that I had from kt. chatter marks so bad, u couldn't believe it.
After the 4th time back to the factory, they finally replaced the barrel and the one I have now is very nice-as they all should be.. accuracy wise they both shot about the same though.

G

·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  KT barrels are known to be rough. You might just have got a normal one. On the other hand, If you are REALLY not satisfied, call and complain to customer service. 1-800-515-9983. They might be willing to send you a new barrel with a mailer for you to return the bad one.

Packer.
But they shouldn't be ???

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I also got my 3AT back in 3 weeks and it was sent back for FTE.

I've got 80 rounds to put thru it tomorrow and if
all goes well back in the pocket it goes, If not
I don't think I'll own a KT anymore :'(

Rob

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Rubb said:
I also got my 3AT back in 3 weeks and it was sent back for FTE.

I've got 80 rounds to put thru it tomorrow and if
all  goes well back in the pocket it goes, If not
I don't think I'll own a KT anymore  :'(

Rob
Nothing exists that is as light, small and powerful as the P3AT. No one I didn't tell has EVER known I was carrying it--And that includes some very intimate situations.

I would rather buy two, and rotate sending them back until they are perfect, than to have to carry the next best larger,heavier and more expensive alternative.

Packer.

G

·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Nothing exists that is as light, small and powerful as the P3AT. No one I didn't tell has EVER known I was carrying it--And that includes some very intimate situations.

I would rather buy two, and rotate sending them back until they are perfect, than to have to carry the next best larger,heavier and more expensive alternative.

Packer.
damn pack, have to agree with u there ;D ;D oh my what did I just say? ;D

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I agree with 2PP too, I just believe sending a gun
back once is all that it should take. That's all it took
for Ruger, Charles Daly and Para Ord. , we'll see.

I'm hoping I have a flawless shoot, Who knows I like this little KT so well I may just be willing to putup with a second trip but, I'm also liking the
new Bersa 380 CC.

Wish my KT luck all :D

Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
True! But Kt will make it right! If they won't send you a barrel and postpaid return envelope, then ask them for a UPS Call Tag to return the gun for a new barrel installation.

Packer.
The problem is I already gave them 1 chance to make it right.....I shouldnt need to hound them about it. I sent a very detailed letter complete with pictures.....of all the problems, including the barrel. It was listed as the number 1 problem in the order on the page. Should NOT have taken any more than that.

At this point I have put another 75 trouble free rounds thru the gun - total of 200 with 1 failure to completely go into battery at magazine number 3.

It works.....I dont want to screw with it anymore. However they SHOULD have fixed it when I sent it in the first time....honestly, wonder what their excuse for NOT fixing it is.

I may give them a call and see......

The 75 rounds fired today were by my very small 5 ft wife with weak hands. The gun didnt burp at all - no failures and Im fairly sure this was the limpest of wrists it will encounter. I was fairly impressed.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Be patient. They are sometimes several days responding to emails. You might consider calling the service department.

FWIW, they have put out some very screwy looking barrels from time to time, no doubt, far worse than yours. This is pretty well known and documented here on the forum. Some have had barely visible lands and grooves. I think to keep costs down, or for other unknown reasons, they may sometimes push their tooling equipment beyond what the Kimber custom shop might do. ;D

To my knowledge, none of those marginal barrels have really affected the performance of the gun, although some people have had them replaced. I have also seen at least one person return one only to get another that was no better looking. They may have just felt that your barrel fell within THEIR acceptable guidelines and since it functioned fine, they let it go. After all, it is not a match grade rifle barrel and at the intended range for this gun and this short barrel, perfection won't make much difference in accuracy. Maybe the tech was swamped and it was an oversight. Maybe they were short on barrels that day and/or didn't have any that looked better, who knows.

FWIW, I am almost positive they will replace it for you if you so desire. Why they didn't already is just speculation that I have already addressed. I'm not defending their handling of your repair, just trying to offer possible explanations. Unless you are being very nit-picky, I agree that they should have replaced yours. I think most people just keep them if the gun shoots well. Probably that is more of a reluctance to ship it back and wait for the new one, (complacency), who knows? Should you decide to send yours in for replacement, at this point, I'd wait until they reopen in January, especially since your gun is working well.

G

·
IMO  I would keep the ****ty barrel.  It is working great in ur weapon, one never knows when they get another barrel, is if  it will indeed match up and everything.  I know that is not an acceptabvle thing to be saying for IMO they should not be sending out barrels in that condition-no excuse for it , but we know they do and you might just get one back that is even worse, so load it up and "just shoot it like you stole it".  BG won't know the difference ;D I certainlhg hope they are not doing that with the new PF9 barrels.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This was their reply - cut and pasted word for word:

please call supv. of repair, 1-800-515-9983, for that answer.

Im usually not one for point out others lack of writing skills.....but I was expecting a little more from the customer service department of a well-known company.

I will call them at my convenience and express my displeasure.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
You are obviously too sophisticated in your expectations to be a Kel-Tec owner. You MIGHT be satisfied with something else made by a more literate company.

I have a crisp $100 bill burning a hole in my pocket............ ;D

Packer.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
aaronrkelly said:
This was their reply - cut and pasted word for word:

please call supv. of repair, 1-800-515-9983, for that answer.

I'm usually not one for point out others lack of writing skills.....but I was expecting a little more from the customer service department of a well-known company.

I will call them at my convenience and express my displeasure.
Now, IMO you ARE nitpicking.  

1.  I already told you to CALL.  They get about  bazillion emails each day running the gamut of topics and inquiries.

2. That email is direct and to the point telling you exactly what you need to do and providing the toll free number.

3.  Do you think they have a service mgr or the head gunsmith checking their email?  Clearly, the person reading your email is not authorized to tell you what to do with your barrel.  They told you very succinctly how to get in touch with someone who is able to help, and moved on to the next 800 emails they had to respond to.

4.  Based on your criticism of that email alone, I have to wonder how much is wrong with your barrel.  Perhaps you should consider a $2000 Kimber.  A $200 pistol, or the company that makes it, may not be able to meet your expectations.   :-/

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.