Got it...First 50 rounds...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by pookieguy, Oct 17, 2007.

1. pookieguy

pookieguy New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I did make the time to go today and check out the P3-AT they had in stock and after confirming it
    was a SG model, purchased it immediately.

Since I was already at range, I decided to start the break-in by putting 50 rounds through it.
    Purchased a box of their ammo and that's where I ran into a slight problem...

I guess from being used to my P-32 for years now, I wasn't exactly comfortable with the
    the .380 model and out of a 50 round box, there were two extraction failures.  I don't know
    how you guys feel about the recoil from the .380, but I certainly noticed the difference.  

That's where I'm wondering if it s the gun or the fact that I wasn't used to it and perhaps
    a result of "limp wrist"?  The two failures did happen only during the first and second
    mag load.  After that, I started holding it a bit more firmly and it functioned flawlessly.

Should I be worried?  I only post this because as mentioned in a recent post here, the
    P-32 I had that was stolen never jammed on me once.  Anyways, I got home and took
    out my cleaning kit and did clean it thoroughly.  As always, I also took out my trusty
    Dremel and polished the feed ramp a bit with some compound.  

Your thoughts?

Also, I found its recoil that bothersome where it was actually a bit uncomfortable near
    the end of the first box.  With that said, I think I would like to get a grip for the gun
    and wondering which is best?  I'm not a fan of grips, but if it doesn't add too much
    bulk and doesn't look that bad, I will consider purchasing one.

Thanks,

2. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I know there are a lot of more experienced kel tec owners here than myself but I'll chime in anyways. First off, I wouldn't be too concerned with 2 FT(anything) if you shot the gun right out of the box. I'm assuming from your post, no cleaning or lubing of any kind.

Most here will recommend at least a partial fluff and buff as well as lots of lube. I recommend militec-1 and breakfree CLP. If you email or call militec nicely...they will send you out a small sample bottle for free. I have a hard chrome model so I didn't do a fluff and buff...but did bake on the militec per their instructions. I also use shooters choice grease because it is cheap and my local shop carries it. I noticed an immediate improvement in cycling and it only got better after range time.

I've only had the opportunity to shoot 57 rounds so far and only had one FTF in the second to last magazine. I was beginning to suffer from some fatigue after shooting the p3at as well as my glock 27 and ruger sp101 in .357.

Anyways...give it a good cleaning and lube and shoot it some more...good luck

3. pookieguy

pookieguy New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    toddmog,
    Thanks for the super quick reply.
    Yes, I purchased this gun at the local indoor gun range and happens to be the only place I could find that
    actually had it in stock. With that said, I did shoot the 50 right out of the box. Normally I wouldn't do this
    but I was already there.

About Militec...Yes! I guess I forgot to say that when cleaning and polishing tonight, I ended with some
    Militec-1. I've used this for years on all my guns and it does wonders.

Perhaps now it will shoot better?

Anyways,
    Still researching grips as we speak and now leaning towards the AG Laser Grip. Anyone have experience with
    it? I don't know...this one was just slightly too uncomfortable for long term shooting. I think a grip would help?

Also, my P-32 did have a grip extension on the mag and after shooting the first 50 rounds with the .380, I think
    I definitely want one again. My P-32 had an extension directly from Kel-Tec. However after some research, is
    this one any good? Also, does it require modification?

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=981590B&chrSuperSKU=981590&MC=

Thanks again for the advice...

4. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I still highly recommend a light coat of grease in the recommended places.

As far as grips go, I have a piece of bike tube on mine.  $3 at walmart and you can make all the grips you'd ever want.  Or if you have a bike shop nearby, many of them will give you an old used tube for free.

Many on this forum like the hogue handall jr. as well as offerings from pachmayr and uncle mikes/butler creek.  I like the bike tube because it fits tight and is just enough to cover the plastic grips that I personally don't like the feel of.  I haven't had any issues where the bike tube has hindered drawing from my pocket either.  Another plus to the bike tube grip is that you can put on as many layers as you want to build it up as you prefer.

I ordered my grip extensions directly from kel-tec. They are a little cheaper than in the link you provided but their shipping may be cheaper than kel-tecs/

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The AGLaser pads and grip sleeve are on all my P3ATs. I'd easily pay 3x what he charges for them!

-Scott

6. pookieguy

pookieguy New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    adamsesq,
    Thanks...that's enough to convince me! lol

Anyways,
    Not sure if I want the pads because they do mention some sanding needs to be done to frame.

I seriously don't think I want to use sandpaper on the frame!
    Did you sand it down or just slapped them on without this step?

7. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    i put them on, front and back, and then put a pachmayer #1 handgrip on over it. THe pads fill the gap normally left by the small handgrip.

fwiw, ymmv, et.al, etc, and all that jazz.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I have not used ANY sandpaper on any of the installations and have not had any problems with adhesion. Clean with alcohol prep and install.

-Scott

9. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    [​IMG] Hi there pookieguy. I like the Hogue Jr. trimed a little bit and put on over some tire tube, It has not hindered draw for me. And my fingertip ext. is the one that you have asked about, made by Scherer. IMHO both of these items help a great deal. :cool:

10. pookieguy

pookieguy New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Thanks for the info and the pic...
    I definitely think this will all help and will be ordering today.

What's the difference between the Scherer and the one offered by Kel-Tec?

I was just about to order the Kel-Tec one since they are also here in FL.

Any reason not to get the extra round extender over this one? I read a few
    posted of people claiming it was not reliable.

Thanks,

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Just so show you the AGs on mine.
    [​IMG]

-Scott

12. pookieguy

pookieguy New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    adamsesq,
    Good to know. Ordering both now.

One stupid question though...
    Do you have the strips over or under the grip?

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Well, you can see in my pic that it is my carry mag. It is my carry mag on all my P3ATs. Wifey doesn't like the extra length of either the +1 or any of the extensions so hers don't have either.

The +1 is absolutley reliable once you get it installed correctly and any bugs worked out. Like all things KT - I don't expect perfection out of the box and expect to have a bit of work to do. Tight tolerances = more likely to fit and work perfect = a huge additional cost. Part of what I like about these buggers is the opportunity to buy them cheap and work on them. I have only had issues with 1 +1 of the several I have put on and it was just a matter of smooting some edges before it would seat perfectly. I have never seen anyone say they weren't reliable once they got it working - in other words they don't fail. They might be difficult to get installed correctly, but they don't fail once you do.

-Scott

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Strips are under the black rubber grip sleeve. Take a look real close up the back side by the hammer and you can see where the strips come out from under the sleeve.

-Scott