Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Like the title said.
I got a sub-2k 2 days ago. I've wanted one since nutn said they fixed the front sight issue. It was an impulse buy, and I had the remorse lol, I was sure it would be fun to shoot and I'd get over it really quick.

So far, I was wrong.
The night I bought it I went ahead and pulled a couple swabs through the barrel. It cleaned up nicely. Everything else seemed as smooth as it could be..

Next day, I got out to the farm, we went to sight in the grendel AR I helped my brother build.
I whipped out the Sub 2k, Gave it one of my g17 factory mags loaded with federal 115 grain FMJs. Shot about 3 mags through it and gave up. It felt like shooting a modified nerf gun.

1. The trigger is HORRIBLE. It is heavy, long, spongy, and what is up it hitting the trigger guard and pushing it down before it fires? No way to shoot this fast. I was thinking of a carbine/ pistol 2 gun match in the future.. nope..
I'd have rather paid an extra 20 for a PS trigger form the factory than have to buy one.. If mcarbo can sell springs, kel tec can get them and use them in the gun.. SMH

2. I can't believe how this thing kicks.. lol. Not a huge deal, but I was hoping my niece could shoot it. I'm not opposed to putting a brake on it though. So not a huge deal.

I could complain a little more, but that would be picking nits and IDC at this point

Anyways,
I got home after being completely disappointed.
Pulled the gun apart, cleaned it up, racked it and triggered it a couple times. Trigger still felt like turds.. but it worked.

Today I was getting all ready to head to the local range to shoot at some paper and let friends give it a go. Trigger stopped working.

Pull charging handle, pull trigger. The trigger sticks back and I have to force it back forward.

So now I'm stuck. Shame I can't just take it back like walmart.

Should I send it to kel-tec? Maybe buy a trigger and springs, swap those and see what happens?
I'd like it to work as is for a bit so I can cover this money I spent on it without having to spend more...

·
Registered
574 Posts
I agree with Firearmfanatic. Although the factory trigger definitely leaves a lot to be desired, you clearly have a quality control issue with your carbine. It is unfortunate that you had that experience with a new firearm and all of us can understand your frustration, BUT, give Kel Tec the chance to make it right. Even FN, Sig, M&P, etc., or whatever your Holy Grail of firearm might be, send out less than perfect product from time to time. Give the nice folks at Kel Tec a call and I'm sure you will be satisfied soon. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got home after being completely disappointed.
Pulled the gun apart, cleaned it up, racked it and triggered it a couple times. Trigger still felt like turds.. but it worked.

Today I was getting all ready to head to the local range to shoot at some paper and let friends give it a go. Trigger stopped working.

Pull charging handle, pull trigger. The trigger sticks back and I have to force it back forward.
Before you send it back I'd recommend taking it apart to clean and putting it back together.

Maybe something went wrong when you reassembled.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok,
Got home from work early today.. so I could call kel-tec..
Tried calling them.. What kind of company closes at 3 -_-

I 'field stripped' it again after no one answered the phone.
I got the hammer to drop after just pulling it apart and putting it back together. That was a fluke. Cocked it again, hammer trigger wont grab hammer.
I repeated this process about 4-5 times and hammer dropped 2 times.

It won't drop with the bolt out either. I know that's not good for the gun, I stuck my finger in there in case it 'fired' so I could catch the hammer.

Guess I'll try calling tomorrow. Any Idea what the turn around time would be? I'm not trying to wait a year to have a gun I just paid for.

Would it be worth me taking the 'frame' apart and messing with it.
I have background in paintball guns and such. I've also had the entire action torn down on my marlin 795 so I could do a ghetto trigger job.
I'm fairly mechanically inclined. Would Kel-Tec still cover it if I couldn't figure it out?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd agree w/previous replies to send it back. I replaced the trigger after my first range outing. It was horrible. But I never had an issue with it pushing on the guard. Makes me think your gun had bigger issues.
Also, I've had some experience with rifles & I thought the recoil on mine (9mm) was sweet. Real soft. So again, maybe a sign of something being off with yours?
I've seen comments on this most awesome of blogs re: Kel Tec's responsiveness when it comes to a factory issue with their product. I mean, like 10 days to 2 wk turnaround time. Give them a chance to make it right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gun came back.
I haven't gotten out to shoot it yet but the trigger feels more..... positive than it did before. That's about the only way to describe it.
It's still AWFUL. I can't believe it hits the trigger guard when firing. I'm gonna try to get around 100 or so more rounds through it and start digging into what can be done for the trigger. I sure would like to be able to fire this thing something that resembles fast.
It's looking like Performance Services trigger, MCarbo for the rest. I've been through beastly's thread too. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I put up with the stock trigger until it was reliable with feeding and functioning. It hurt my finger each and every time I sent a .40 round down range. Then I bought a MCABO trigger kit including springs, new trigger, new trigger guard, and new screws.

Cut the trigger pull at least in half and trigger no longer beats up my finger when I pull it. I carry my .40 Sub 2000, folded, in a lap top bag designed to hold 17" screen lap top computers. Everybody just ignores me with it over my shoulder and this retired cop is happy not to be noticed!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got to shoot it today.
It shot a lot better than it did before it stopped working.
Put about 50 rounds through it.. The stock snags my beard LOL.
Trigger is still absurd, but it is a$450 gun. Even at that price you'd think they'd design it to NOT hit the trigger guard when pulling it.

What do you mean it hits the trigger guard? :confused: Can you post a picture.

Maybe I got lucky, but my stock trigger was crisp at 7.5lb. I installed the MCarbo trigger and spring set and it got it down to 6.5lb, but it's not really that noticeable of a difference.
You must have gotten lucky.
I have a video of the problem but photobucket won't let me upload it. SMH.
I've tried 4 times from the phone and 5 from the PC, I gave up...
so I uploaded it to youtube...

I'm gonna pick up a Performance Services trigger and MCarbo springs. Probably get a new guard too. I wish someone made a nicer looking guard than MCarbo.

When I get all that I'll clean everything up and polish what needs polishing. Or at least smooth it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put up with the stock trigger until it was reliable with feeding and functioning. It hurt my finger each and every time I sent a .40 round down range. Then I bought a MCABO trigger kit including springs, new trigger, new trigger guard, and new screws.

Cut the trigger pull at least in half and trigger no longer beats up my finger when I pull it. I carry my .40 Sub 2000, folded, in a lap top bag designed to hold 17" screen lap top computers. Everybody just ignores me with it over my shoulder and this retired cop is happy not to be noticed!
I meant to add this to the post above.. this forum is weird..

anyways, I've got mine in a camelbak pack. It's in the water sleeve.

I'm looking at a PS Wicked trigger, MCarbo springs, maybe pins and screws and maybe the guard. I'd like a classier looking guard.
I'm also looking the the red lion hand guard so I can get a red dot on it.
I'm also looking for a good flash hider/ comp option.
I was thinking about grabbing a solvent trap brake thing and using the oil filter threads for a blast forwarding can.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wow, there is something wrong with that. Even my stock trigger never came close to touching the trigger guard. I see you have different screws. Any chance something was not reassembled correctly?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've already sent it back.
This is how it was returned.
Shooting, better than it was anyways, but still rubbing the guard.

I've read some forums and such since I picked it up and apparently Kel-Tec has acknowledged this is part of the 'newer' trigger design or some nonsense.

I've got a few other firearm related things to buy before I can spend money on the S2K, but I'm hoping a trigger and guard will stop that nonsense.

Honestly, I'd really like to be able to get it shooting faster..

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've read some forums and such since I picked it up and apparently Kel-Tec has acknowledged this is part of the 'newer' trigger design or some nonsense.
That makes no sense. Why would any design change push on the trigger guard that unlocks the barrel? My current 2K (I have owned several) is fairly recent witn a SN of FBHxx and as I mentioned the trigger comes nowhere near the guard. Sure seems like something else is going on.

Sorry about my poor photoshop skills, but I took a picture of my stock trigger and it looks like yours is straighter (which would explain the hitting of the trigger guard). Are you sure you or someone else didn't try to heat it up and straighten it a bit? People have been known to do stuff like that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.