Got a SU-22

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by slickman, Aug 25, 2008.

1. slickman

slickman New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    New member here  :)  Posting my new toy that I received yesterday since the 10 day wait and 5 day shipping from New York (since I'm located in Kalifornia). I believe I received an early batch since the serial is in the 30's. Took it to the range today with a bulk pack of Federal from Wally World and I might say it is dead accurate at 25 yards. Shot approx. 250 rounds with no FTE or FTF. Very fun plinking gun indeed!!  Of course, pics of the gun posted as well. Anyone know a good place to put up the "C" stock for sale  :p Brand new; took it off right after receiving it and installed the AR grip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Welcome to KTOG!

I am sincerely sorry to hear that.

Mine is in the 80s. I think there were 100 in the first batch of SU-22s.

There is a Trading Post on KTOG. It's available to KTOG members after 25 meaningful posts, so people here can get a chance to know you and you're part of the online community before trading. This thread alone will probably get you half way to the magic 25 number.

That AR stock looks great! That's how my SU-16 is outfitted, and while I miss the ability to fold it, I love the solid feel and the control of the pistol grip.

When you advertise the stock you removed, you shouldn't call it the C stock. I think it's the CA stock, which is also the A and B stock. The C stock (aka "the Charlie stock") under folds without pulling the assembly pin, and the rifle can fire in the folded position. I put the Charlie stock on my SU-22CA and I guess that means I converted it into an SU-22C.

I like having a .22 rifle that folds. I have pictures in a thread I started in this forum that you've probably already seen.

3. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Slickman,

What make/model/price is that bipod/vertical grip you have mounted on your SU-22?

[​IMG]

4. slickman

slickman New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome and the info Liberty, ill be sure to call it the "CA" stock  :D

- DMB, the vertical grip/bi-pod is made by FAB Defense and called the T-Pod. The cost was about $100 shipped.

5. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Very cool but $100, ouch!

FAB Defense, isn't that the Mall Ninja store that another thread was talking about?

www.fab-defense.com

T-Pod description here:

http://www.fab-defense.com/en/category-foregrips/id-158/tactical-foregrip-bipod.html

Here is a T-Pod demonstration video:

http://www.fab-defense.com/images/clips/t-pod.wmv

I want the T-Pod for my PLR-16, that would be cool. too bad I'd have to AOW the darn thing.

6. Slickman, is that a Simmons Pro Hunter scope?

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    slickman - a couple of things.  First, as L4E said, I think yours must have come with the CA stock.  I don't thing the C stock is legal in CA.  And while I am no CA firearms law expert, do some checking.  Unless 22s are exempt, you may have some legal issues with that set up.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalCalifornia

Depending upon who is making the call, that particular bipod might be considered a vertical grip.  Also, the collapsible stock paired with the detachable mag would be a violation.  It could be that 22s are exempt from that nonsense; I forget.  :-/  

Whatever the case, that is nice looking rifle. :cool:

8. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I thought I read that rimfires are exempt from some of the California "assault weapons" bans, but I can't keep up with that stuff either. I seem to remember that Kel-Tec configured the SU-22 as they did to satisfy the California legislation, knowing that California had a large market of people who weren't allowed to have a .223 in a desirable configuration and they'd snap up the SU-22 if available. I don't blame Kel-Tec for making a business decision based on the market, but from my perspective that's yet another example of California's political nannies and ninnies creating legislation that ultimately limits what I can buy, even though I live a long way from California.

I think I'm going to add a grenade launcher to my SU-22... because I can. >:(

If Kel-Tec did configure the SU-22 to be California compliant, I'd be very careful about reconfiguring it if I lived in California.

I just spent a second thinking about the hypothetical scenario of living in California and threw up a little in the back of my throat.

Here's ktwm's take on California legal status for the SU-22, and he ought to know:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1200092998
    Apparently, the collapsible stock is legal with a ten round mag. Wouldn't want anybody to have 27 rounds of .22 in their assault rifle! ::)

I've generally found that most of those poor souls in California know their arcane gun laws inside and out. It's a sad necessity.

9. beegeezy2

beegeezy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    is that the 27rnd mag? do they make a 10 for it yet?

10. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    The SU-22CA is california legal with a 10rnd mag (Which is available for brownells, or Black Dog Machine). I know distributors are replaceing the hi-cap mag with 10 rounders when they ship them to California (or other states with similar bans).

Rimfires are exempt from California's Assault weapons ban. The ban specifies it applies to centerfires only. This means that the AR stock is legal. You have to be carefull with folding stocks, since California measures those rifles with the stock folded. You might need to attach a long muzzle brake to get the OAL in spec.

Theoretically, if you have some pre-ban hi-cap ciener mags (Metal) you could use them in the SU-22.

11. slickman

slickman New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Its a Bushnell Rimfire Scope

Like ktwm stated, rimfire rifles are exempt from the AW ban since it is specific to centerfire rifles only. Its a sad world over on this side regarding guns and rifles where we have to memorize what is legal or not legal to put on our guns. Or deal with a 10 round magazine....... I heard it supposedly it makes it safer this way.....  ::)

Anywho thanks for the comments  :)