Got a new SU-22 today!

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by TriggerlockSLC, Feb 10, 2009.

1. TriggerlockSLC

TriggerlockSLC New Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Just picked it up! 3rd Kel-tec (I also have a PF-9 and a P3-AT). Cant wait to go shooting this little bad boy!

Is there any info I need to know for mods or breaking it in?

Matt

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I'd get a 550 box of Federal ammo if you can find it, or the 325 round box of Federal AutoMatch ammo. Both seem to work well when breaking in the SU-22. Clean and lube well and go shooting! Don't forget to replace the buffer when cleaning.

3. TriggerlockSLC

Nov 17, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up!

Is there a picture thread on here for the SU-22? I didnt see one. I want to see what people are doing for accesories and what not.

4. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I think we need a picture thread, and a FAQ thread for the SU-22.

If you want to see some of the possibilities, you can look at the SU-16 picture thread and get some ideas, although some of the choices will have a different emphasis on a .223 rifle. Personally, I like the SU-22 configured as a light but durable .22 survival rifle, and I've been playing with some configurations. I started a thread that has a fair number of pictures and discussion. If you're bored and very enthused about the SU-22, that might be worth a glance.

5. TriggerlockSLC

Nov 17, 2008
    Yeah... I just read the whole 5 page thread! Thanks for posting so much!

6. TriggerlockSLC

Nov 17, 2008
    Ok, I just got done playing around with the SU. Did you guys get the two extra mags in the but stock with yours? My SU did. I just got around to pulling them out.... they are small mags for .223's! WTF! Am I nuts? Is this a mix up?

Matt

7. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    BONUS!

Sounds like your SU-22 had a stock that was intended to ship with an SU-16!

So, you got one .22 LR mag and two .223 mags?

8. TriggerlockSLC

Nov 17, 2008
    Yup... I figured they were .22 mags, but I can use them in my AR so no big deal! Still, a little weird.

9. shep854

shep854 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Check your front sight carefully; some of the rifles are getting out with the sight off-center. Mine is back at the Mother Ship because even with the rear sight all the way to the left, the rifle still hit right of target. If you catch it right away, call Kel-Tec for a shipping tag and get it right back to them; it's a QC problem, let them fix it.

10. TriggerlockSLC

Nov 17, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up...  I hope to get to the range this weekend.  I will post with results!  (hopefully good)

11. TriggerlockSLC

Nov 17, 2008
    BTW... I have completed my first mod! A quick release / take down pin for the butt stock. $2.00 at Lowes and I can easily break down my SU in about 10 seconds. Money well spent IMHO. I will post pics tomorrow in the picture thread.

Matt

12. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    It probably looks a bit like this:

[​IMG]

I put a black oxide finish on the ring on mine.

[​IMG]

I was a bit biased against it before I even started, and I didn't care for it for the same reasons I had anticipated. I didn't like the ring banging around, and it seemed like it was interfering with my grip when shooting. I will admit that it makes take down a very fast and easy and tool-free operation.

THE GIVEAWAY
    The first person to post "I want it" in this thread gets the black oxide ring and Clevis pin. Just PM me with your mailing address.

13. TriggerlockSLC

Nov 17, 2008
    I want it..  Hehehe...   ;D

Here are a few photos from the 10 second mod!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doesn't stick out to bad.

Plus, bonus picture of the goof up mags already being put to use by my AR!

[​IMG]

14. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    If I had posted the offer of a free ring pull assembly pin over in the SU-16 forum, it would have been taken in a couple of seconds!

If you like your clevis pin I think you'll like this one even better. Besides the ring being black, which is almost a requirement :), the pin is maybe .25" shorter. It looks like it was made for the SU-22.

PM your address and I'll get it out in the mail to you.

The bonus SU-16 mags and now this. You're a lucky guy! ;D

15. wmailhos

wmailhos New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    It appears whoever wins this auction will also get a couple of SU-16 mags.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=122942577

Hope I get some in the stock of the one I just bought..... :)

16. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I wonder what Kel-Tec would say if I called customer service and told them that my SU-22 came with one .22LR magazine, but didn't include the two .223 magazines. :) I wonder if they'd ship them to me. Now THAT would be some incredible customer service!

17. wmailhos

wmailhos New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Inquiring minds want to know.... :)

18. wmailhos

wmailhos New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    It appears whoever wins this auction will also get a couple of SU-16 mags.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=122942577

Hope I get some in the stock of the one I just bought.....  :)

[/quote]

Now they are even listing the fact that this SU-22 comes with (2) SU-16 mags.... Maybe it was in there before and I just didn't notice it in the ad copy...

"Comes with two .223 5rd mags and one Black Dog Machine High capacity .22lr mag."

PLEASE let the one that is on the way to me have two extra SU--16 mags in the stock....  :)

19. wmailhos

wmailhos New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    << PLEASE let the one that is on the way to me have two extra SU--16 mags in the stock.... >>

No such luck. I picked up my SU-22 tonight from my dealer and all it had was the Black Dog mag.. :(

20. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    I get the idea that production at Kel-Tec gets chaotic from time to time. And they need to be cranking them out as fast as they can to take advantage of the run on guns that's going on. Since the stocks of the SU-22CA and the SU-16A and CA are the same, perhaps they ran out of stocks that lacked the .223 magazines and instead of stopping or slowing the line to remove them, they just sent the SU-22's out with them, maybe until that period of production was over. These .223 magazines are the same as for the PLR-16, which I have, and they don't fit my AR-15 (at least not without the aid of a mallet ;D) because they have a vertical ridge that aligns with a groove in the magwell of my PLR-16 (and presumably, SU-16's). Although these guns are designed to accept standard AR-15 magazines, Kel-Tec supplies them with a non-standard magazine that will not fit an AR-15. I don't understand why this is so.

buzzsaw-has anyone seen a factory SU-22C (underfolder stock) yet?