Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Forum goers. I just got my SU16c yesterday and put a few rounds through it today. Obviously I have a few questions, but mine are more opinion questions.. First, it doesn't come with a sling so I purchased Keltec's Sling kit for it. Does anyone have any experience with it? Second, I want to get a small muzzle brake or flash hider to keep it compact. Suggestions? Should I just get the standard A2 Birdcage or get more of a muzzle brake hybrid... Lastly, I've never really been an optics kinda guy. I have a 243 with a scope but that's it. I'm thinking about a budget Red Dot. Once again any suggestions? I'm going to limit my budget to $150. max...
Just wanted to say I'm glad to be a new owner and I look forward to meeting you...
Thanks,
EH

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
For a sling....I used an Uncle Mikes kit and surplus sling from the local Army store.

Also...I used a Sight Mark red dot sight. Just about $100. Has a lever styled quick release.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Grand Poobah, thanks for the pictures and the sling idea. I was just looking at a Red Dot just like that last night. What model is it?

EH
You can call me Rick if you would like.

It's a Sight Mark Ultra Shot QD Digital Switch...part number SM14000.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rick, I go by Earl... Is that Sight Mark the one you have on your SU16? I think I saw another one like that but it had a laser attached to it. (I guess that would be for close up/night shooting)..
I really think I'm learning a lot on here. I also learned a lot when I saw the hour(s) of TNP video for it too.. Those guys did a lot to sell these guns..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed the Kel Tec sling on my 16A. Very easy install process. I have read that some people complain that it is too narrow but I measured it against the M1 carbine sling my father used in WW2 and the KT sling is about a quarter of an inch wider. The SU16 is a little bit lighter than the M! so the width of the sling should be adequate for most needs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I installed the Kel Tec sling on my 16A. Very easy install process. I have read that some people complain that it is too narrow but I measured it against the M1 carbine sling my father used in WW2 and the KT sling is about a quarter of an inch wider. The SU16 is a little bit lighter than the M! so the width of the sling should be adequate for most needs.
It is not so much an issue of how narrow it is. But with some of the lighter weight nylon webbing it tend to fold over on it self and that makes it really narrow.

Thicker webbing or leather tends not to do the fold over twist thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I gotta stop worrying about slings, flash hiders, optics and get down to business acquiring new heavier ammunition. My AR is a 1:9 twist and therefore can stabilize lighter ammo (which I have plenty of). I'm just learning about barrel twists and the weight of bullets. I do have plenty of PMC M855 62 grain rounds, which is what I am using so far. I guess I need to get at least 55grain and up then. I love HP's but can't seem to find many that are heavy, good, and "budget priced".
I'll figure it out, although any suggestions of what bullets this thing likes to eat, would be tremendous...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Must be planning on going a couple clicks with , in that case u just fold up and put in you back pocket cause they are so light to carry and keep ready haha . I tend to like the New Colt Holding Corp Brand from their Russian CJSC Barnaul Plant , just wished I bought more .223 Rem 62 Grain Bimetal FMJ Bullet Zinc Plated Steel Case .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, what I need to do is get to the range, there is one here in my small town but it is filled up. I'm going to head to the free one next week, and make this baby chirp! I'm going to take mostly M855/SS109 and some 45&50 grain Hollow Points.. See what this thing likes to eat...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello again y'all! I just got an email from KTOG, saying that I haven't checked in for a little bit. So far, I haven't shot my gun as much as I expected by this time... The last time I shot my SU16c I was a little high and to the right. So, I need to get back to the range and adjust my fire.
I just found out that my local range is putting up camera's 24/7. I'm done with them now, even though I shoot legally, I don't want big brother watching me and taping what firearms I own...
Okay everyone, have a happy Mother's Day weekend!!!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
If you shoot steel, be sure and keep the chamber scrubbed out. The steel allows fouling to get into the chamber, which can lead to cases sticking and failing to extract; I've had to drive stuck cases out with a cleaning rod. A good scrub avoids the problem.
A 9mm brush does fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.