Goose Hunters ?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Brewster6514, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
    first geese of the year

just got back from our first goose hunt of the year and figured I'd post the pic of the ones we got.
    [​IMG]
    i went 3 for 3 and my friends boy got 2, my friend got 1, while his youngest finished off the wounded ones. we only had the one flock that came in and they almost landed in our laps, the first goose was about 20 yds away when we started shooting. we couldn't stay for long because he had some things to do this morning and being early in the nuisance season we didn't figure our chances would be any better if we stayed longer, left about 8 am and called it a day. hopefully the farmers will start cutting the corn soon and give the geese a place they really want to go.
    now if i could only keep shooting as good as i did this morning I'll be happy, but i know that won't happen.  :D

2. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Re: first geese of the year

Congrats on the successful hunt my friend! By all means, shoot every goose you can before they have a chance to migrate down my way. What kind of shot shells are you guys using up there this year?

3. Brewster6514

Jun 10, 2006

last couple of years i have used the federal black cloud shot shells in 1 1/4 oz BBB, this year i figured I'd try something new and went with these in 1 1/8 oz BB. http://www.remington.com/pages/Hypersonic-Steel.aspx
    at the ranges we was shooting today anything would have worked, but they seamed to be ok. trying to get away from all of the recoil the heavier loads produce.

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006

1700 ft/sec :eek: It says they give you an extra 8" lead at 40yds too.

5. scamp_daddy

scamp_daddy New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Any Goose hunters out there? I'll be headed down around the Houston area the saturday after Thanksgiving and praying for fog. I'll have to stop at "Johnnies" for my ration of new gota' haves.

6. historybuff

historybuff Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I don't hunt anymore, but if I did goose hunting would be one sport that I would try to do.

It would be awesome to get one and then have a Christmas goose in the freezer!

7. Brewster6514

Jun 10, 2006
    Been hunting geese for 25 years, never been that good of a caller but this year I never missed a shot at a goose. ;) course I only shot two. ;D

8. scamp_daddy

scamp_daddy New Member

Jan 6, 2007
      I'm still trying to get the calling to an art. Thanks to the maker above the price of "Heavy Shot" has come down. I patterened it at 25yrds and really don't feel it's any better pattern than standard steel. But because it's heavier it will reach and kill further. Only the very center of the pattern is consistant. Noted some of the shot wads with holes (persumed burned) through the center allowing gases into the shot. I've only patterened with four shells but two of the four had these holes in them which makes me wander. 3 1/2 inch shells have more recoil than I wish to punish myself with. I only shoot the 3inch shells. What do you use and why?

9. Brewster6514

Jun 10, 2006
    i have used heavy shot in the past, it is too expensive for me to use regularly, last couple of years i have used the federal black cloud with great success. this year i tried the new Remington hypersonic loads in 1 1/8...RLP-_-217518-_-productname_link&cmCat=CRR) and what little i have shot so far seem to be pretty good. i used to use fairly large shot sizes for geese but now i stick with BB and seem to do ok with them. oh and i don't have a 3 1/2'' gun so all are 3".

10. scamp_daddy

scamp_daddy New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Used to shoot the #2's but not much success in nailing every bird I shot at. The BB is the way to go. The "Heavy Shot" is the same price as the "Black Cloud" this year so I am going with the "Heavy Shot" 75rds for $75.00. I really want to pattern the "Black Cloud" but am afraid to put it through my full choked, old bolt action moss'e.

11. Brewster6514

Jun 10, 2006
    the black cloud has a very thick shot cup which should be ok if your gun can handle the new non-toxic loads. but the full choke is pretty tight for either of those loads, i use modified for most of my shooting. either should do well on geese. getting them into the dekes is the hard part. ;)

12. scamp_daddy

scamp_daddy New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ended up to be a duck hunt (because the Geese weren't in well)with 15 Ducks and 6 Specks. Guide and two shooters with two more that weren't able to get to the blind :'( .Guide took several shots too. Most ducks were Teal. The Specks actually decoyed to our Duck spread. Had a single and a group of 6 of which they took 5. I was talking to a man about a dog at the time.
     Great fun. We will do it again in Jan. for Goose.  ;D
     Used 20rds #2 Heavy Shot, 25rds Black Cloud BBB, and 15rds Heavy Shot BB.
    When I got home I remeasured my choke on the old Mossy with no change in choke constriction. Still .700 . Bolt a little sticky with an occasional Black Cloud BBB, awsome pattern. ;)    

13. rtg

rtg New Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I have shot a few...[​IMG]

14. scamp_daddy

scamp_daddy New Member

Jan 6, 2007
     Nice pile of birds rtg.

This pic was two years ago hunting with the old "Blue Goose Lodge" which is now out of business.

[​IMG]