Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick recap: My circa 1999 P32 began exhibiting some problems (failures to extract every magazine or so) earlier in the year, and went in to Kel Tec for some TLC. It came back without explanation of what had been done, and when I test-fired it I found that, if anything, it functioned far worse than when I first sent it in. I was disappointed in the much-heralded KT customer service, but when I called them they sent me out a shipping label for a second inspection at the factory.

The box arrived today and in was...a brand new pistol. The work slip, included this time, detailed that they replaced the frame, mag catch, slide, barrel, trigger assembly, recoil springs, hammer assembly, and "internal parts." The new pistol, which is, in effect, a Gen 2, also had a new serial number (my previous pistol was 04xxx, while my new one was given the serial number 04xxxA).

First, I'm floored by the customer service this time around. Apparently all the hype is well-earned. Second, I'm excited to try out the new pistol.

But I'm already missing my old buddy. (And I like the old sights far better, fwiw.) But it was a good run while it lasted.......

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quick recap: My circa 1999 P32 began exhibiting some problems (failures to extract every magazine or so) earlier in the year, and went in to Kel Tec for some TLC. It came back without explanation of what had been done, and when I test-fired it I found that, if anything, it functioned far worse than when I first sent it in. I was disappointed in the much-heralded KT customer service, but when I called them they sent me out a shipping label for a second inspection at the factory.

The box arrived today and in was...a brand new pistol. The work slip, included this time, detailed that they replaced the frame, mag catch, slide, barrel, trigger assembly, recoil springs, hammer assembly, and "internal parts." The new pistol, which is, in effect, a Gen 2, also had a new serial number (my previous pistol was 04xxx, while my new one was given the serial number 04xxxA).

First, I'm floored by the customer service this time around. Apparently all the hype is well-earned. Second, I'm excited to try out the new pistol.

But I'm already missing my old buddy. (And I like the old sights far better, fwiw.) But it was a good run while it lasted.......
Way to go Bosco and hats off to Keltec Service Dept.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just got back from my first range visit, and I'm happy to report that the P32 ran like a sewing machine. I stuck to Fiocchi FMJ and Extrema rounds, and continue to be amazed how enjoyable the Kel Tec is to shoot, even with the hotter ammo.

I'll make another range trip to see if this pistol will shoot the Underwood Extreme Cavitator (which neither my old Kel Tec nor my Seecamp liked), and will be an extremely happy camper if I can add that as a carry ammo option. Still, even with just the Fiocchi I'm a happy camper.

I'm also going to have to put some bright paint on these abysmal sights, although they function just fine for a pull-and-shoot pocket gun. And, speaking of pockets, it's time to ship around and find a proper rear pocket holster for my new buddy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I
Just got back from my first range visit, and I'm happy to report that the P32 ran like a sewing machine. I stuck to Fiocchi FMJ and Extrema rounds, and continue to be amazed the Kel Tec is to shoot, even with the hotter ammo.

I'll make another range trip to see if this pistol will shoot the Underwood Extreme Cavitator (which neither my old Kel Tec nor my Seecamp liked), and will be an extremely happy camper if I can add that as a carry ammo option. Still, even with just the Fiocchi I'm a happy camper.

I'm also going to have to put some bright paint on these abysmal sights, although they function just fine for a pull-and-shoot pocket gun. And, speaking of pockets, it's time to ship around and find a proper rear pocket holster for my new buddy.
Do a search for "Glo-Paint" or something similar. I've got some, though I haven't tried it yet. It's got to go on a very first-Generation S&W Model 60 in .38 Special first, and it has the 3" barrel.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
I mostly use an old K&D convertible (front/rear) pocket holster but Kevin has been out of business a few years now. I don't know these folks, but they live down the road in New Braunfels. They sure make some nice looking pocket holsters.
http://www.bearcreekholsters.com/mdse/back-pocket.html

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mostly use an old K&D convertible (front/rear) pocket holster but Kevin has been out of business a few years now. I don't know these folks, but they live down the road in New Braunfels. They sure make some nice looking pocket holsters.
http://www.bearcreekholsters.com/mdse/back-pocket.html
Funny you should mention them...I was just on their website not even 10 minutes ago. I was familiar with them from the Seecamp website, where they get awesome reviews.

·
Registered
471 Posts
ahh sux they didnt want to fool with your old buddy anymore, but rather replace instead... i have gen 1 but carry the gen 2... gen 1 isnt quite 100% yet but i havent fooles with it yet to get her running... the gen2 however is 100% from new and has over 1k rounds and all orginal parts.. i use the belt clip and run chambered.. carried 25/8...... love this thing

·
Registered
44 Posts
They

They sent the gun back directly to you or to a FFL of your choice?

·
Registered
24 Posts
A new serial number... That would concern me. What paperwork did they send you with the pistol? I believe that "technically' you now possess a pistol which you did not procure through the appropriate hoops (NICS and whatever your state may have as requirements.) I would take the consider taking the paperwork to a knowledgeable attorney just to be sure. A $200 pistol is not worth the potential headaches.

Ken

p.s. I thought I had this issue when KT sent me the THIRD replacement barrel for my brand new PF-9. (the first one was pitted inside and out, second one rifled by a chimpanzee with a serrated pocket knife). I received an email telling me the replacement was shipped and explaining that parts were shipped by any method, long guns by UPS or FedEx ground and handguns by FedEx next day Air. The tracking on my barrel indicated FedEx next day Air! Oh $#[email protected] they have sent me a replacement pistol I thought. Two with the same serial number(?) that is would not be good. One which I do not "own". No good either. Fortunately they were sending everything next day so they could get stuff back to customers before their holiday break when they were closed for a week or so. Really nice of them!

The third barrel looked like it came from Douglas or Krieger. Beautiful! unfortunately the slide developed a crack in front of the ejection port about a year later. They said "send in the whole upper half" and that is what they replaced. An OK barrel but not as nice as #3.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My PF-9 had a crack in the frame after 600-700 rds. Had also worn out my mag release. Upon return from the mother ship I too have a xxxxxxA serial number. The owner of my local gun shop is also former law enforcement told me I had nothing to worry about. Told me, should I actually shoot some one that extra letter added to the orignal serial number will be the least of my worries. Only thing he said was hold on to the paper work. At the end of the day Kel-tec is awesome, my most recent dealings with them were great. Ordered a glock 19 grip for my 17 sub 2000k with out issue.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Kel Tec has stated that the ATF requires them to use a new serial number when replacing a frame...they used to just put the old serial number on the new frame. ATF called them on it as that isn't the legal way. The ATF says the proper way is to add an "A" to the end on the serial number. Or "B" or "C" whatever is needed. Adding the letter at the end is ATF approved.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. I'll keep all the paperwork, and still have the documents from my original purchase in 1999. They sent the new pistol directly to me, and included a note that I should check all local ordinances. I don't mean to be dismissive of such concerns, and I appreciate people here raising them, but (speaking as someone with over 30 years of federal law enforcement experience) the biggest thing in such cases is criminal intent, or the lack thereof. I sent a pistol in to a manufacturer and they sent me a replacement with a similar serial number...I obviously had no intent to defraud circumvent the laws. And I assume that Kel Tec keeps their own copious records, too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I

Do a search for "Glo-Paint" or something similar. I've got some, though I haven't tried it yet. It's got to go on a very first-Generation S&W Model 60 in .38 Special first, and it has the 3" barrel.
Blue_State, You will love the GlowOn paint! Get the smallest bottle, as a little goes a looong way! The stuff just flat works. Put the brightest light you can on it for 20 to 30 seconds. In really serious darkness it glows very brightly, and if your eyes are accustomed to the dark, you can see those sights perfectly well even a few hours later. Need more glow? 30 seconds under a bright light and you are good to go again.

I deliver pizza at night, and carry my P32. I fire up those sights and have painted the back of the pistol slide (not just the miniscule sights), so that the back of the gun looks like a fat greenish upside down horseshoe. Forget the sights, just place that horseshoe over your target and at pistol ranges you are gold.

Nice on revolvers too! Same paint scheme. Slather it over the rear of your gun where the hammer is and you have instant high visibility sights for the point and shoot world of small revolvers and autos.

Gray_Fox
Old Secessh

·
Registered
129 Posts
Blue_State, your pistol is about a year older than mine. Sounds like your old pistol served you well, and then KelTec pretty gave you a new gun as a replacement when she finally went to her reward?!

What more does a fellow want from a pistolmaker? Or a inexpensive pistol that reliable nearly 20 years on.

"CrapTec"?! I know people like to run down the gun maker and their pistols in general, but seriously!? Wear your gun out and have it replaced with a new gun for probably shipping charges!?

Mine is still shooting and is reliable as the first day at the range, but I have only about two fifty to three hundred rounds through it.

Good show Sir!

Gray_Fox

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gray_Fox, I think that you confused me with someone upthread as to how old their P32 is. Mine is 2, maybe 3 years old. I've only run a few mags through it because, let's face it, it's a "social work" weapon. Maybe up to 7 yards at the most. My SIG P238 is a bit longer ranged (the owner's manual says that the sights are dead-on at 25 yards, and it's correct), and my Glock 43 is longer-ranged still. In this day of Islamic State-inspired Internet radicalization, a concealed carrier may have to engage a terrorist at a little more than bad-breath ranges, so it's wise to practice at said ranges with a handgun that can hit consistently at them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.