Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Savage 93 BTVS, a few days last week, out for a bit of ground squirrel killing (called Whistle Pigs where we were at) and shot around 120 of them with a couple of my son-in-laws at Mountain Home, Idaho. Great fun. Two of the rodents are near the hole in the first picture. These were a couple of the larger ones as they were mostly small as the larger ones knew better than to come out of their holes but a few still did. It was deadly up to around 125 yds but because of the wind it made it a lot more interesting. One long shot I aimed around a foot to the left and 2" up and dropped one, probably 150 yds or more. They were around 4" to 6-1/2" tall and 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" wide. Not much to shoot at. The son-in-laws were sporting 22's and doing the closer shots. That .17hmr is a nasty little round on varmits.

Me:

Them:

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Looks like a fun day in the field to me. Those small targets really make the shots more challenging.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No kidding. But it really does hone your skills when they are only about 2" wide 150yds away. There was a few close misses and lucky Whistle Pigs. Some were dumb enough they would poke their head out at real close range and I was taking shots with my .40 cal S&W. Not very often, like almost rare, but a couple did do it. Probably gave one something the opposite of a mohawk, it was really close.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Looks like fun!!! I bought a cheap 93, was very accurate just did'nt buck the wind very good at tall. I figured i can load the 22-250 for not much more than buying the 17hmr.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I sure would like to try my hand at varmint hunting out here in AZ someday, but I know next to nothing about the season(s) they're permitted, where the hunting spots are at, and ... oh yeah, I recently traded in my only .22 LR rifle on my Ruger P89. Soooooo, unless hunting prairie dogs with a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 is a possibility...? :D

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Very good shooting for those little critters. A foot of windage is a good bit at those ranges. Well the bullet toesn't weigh much. I recently sold a Marlin 917V in the Hummer. I only shot paper with it. Super accurate, but it did have alot of drift when the wind was blowing. Don't shoot anything that small anyway. Decided to stick with the .22 mag. I already had for small vermin. Around here it's mostly jackrabbits and Javelna. Much bigger targets.

Sounds like a good day. That is alot of action in one day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 120 kills were all of our total and actually over the course of 3 days, 2 half days and one full day but still enough to fill the hunting need for a bit. 10 each plus for two days and then around 20 ea plus or more the last day. Really fun but I was about hunted out the third day with sun and wind burn.

One of my son-in-laws is looking at a 22 magnum, just so he doesn't copy having a .17hmr like the old stump father-in-law. lol I'm sticking with the .17hmr, I'm sold on it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I am kinda hooked on the .22 mag cause I used it for so long. I have the stainless 882 VS with the poly stock and it can take a beating in the field. I had nother like it in a heavy barrel, but it was just too heavy to lug around so I traed it receently.

The 917V I had was the one with the nice wood stock and blue and I just hated to take it out in the field. Barrel was heavy too. So all I did with it was punch paper. I quit dragging my wood stocked rifles out in the brush. Try to stick to the poly guns for that. did that. The 917V grouped at 5/8ths" useing CCI TNTs. Accuracy was great, but I just couldn't keep it as a paper pucher. I have looked into a plain Sav. 93 Hummer with the poly stock and thin barrel. It would be better for me as a field gun than the one I had. Think I saw a Marlin recently with the poly stock in the Hummer too. Just didn't have time to check it out close. Probably should get another Marlin cause I have like10 mags that work for eith cal..

Which .22 mag is your S in law looking at? The Sav. and the Marlins are pretty consistant about accuracy without being too expensive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which .22 mag is your S in law looking at? The Sav. and the Marlins are pretty consistant about accuracy without being too expensive.
Pancho Villa
He hasn't said which one he is looking at. He goes for all kinds of brands of guns so I could not out-guess him. He gets a gun in his head and buys it and has changed his mind a few times and sold them or given them to family as he learns he doesn't like them as much as he thought. I would hope he would go for the Marlin or Savage as I'm liking both of them too.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts

second from the top, Henry with octaganal barrel in .22 mag. Sweet gun. Nice shooting you did there. BTW, what does one do with 120 dead whistle pigs?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A friend has the Henry in .17hmr and he really likes it.

120 whistle pigs and their early demise was making the coyotes happy for good easy dinners and the open range cattle will probably thank us for helping them have a better chance of not breaking their legs in those huge and many holes. The state has put no limit on them to get rid of as many as possible.

·
Registered
589 Posts
LOL "whistle pig" there are so many levels you can go with that....

I have a .17 HMR in a plain jane Savage and it is a shooter. I'm kinda interested in that mach 2

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.17 Mach 2 is suppose to be in the range between 22lr and the .17hmr. It has been mentioned that the may be slowly discontinuing any rifles of that caliber and going for the .17hmr.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts