1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow... I have yet to read the article, but the second I clicked on the link, what popped out at me is the image they used! Really 2 guys in business suits with guns pointed at each other's face! No matter what the article says or how objective it my seems obviously they have a bias. I mean come on is that what they really think the law will lead to? Now I'll go read the article

Jose

OK. Read it now... yeah I see the author was obviously against it. The picture makes sense now.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Here in TX, they basically let the Colleges decide whether to allow Campus Carry or not.
There was a major debate when Texas A&M members proposed Campus Carry. Mostly, the uneducated would say that Teenagers aren't mature enough... Completely unaware that the proposal was for CHL holders being the only students allowed to carry on campus. In TX, one must be at least 21 (not a teen) to get a CHL, must complete a CHL course that covers the legalities of Concealed Carry (as opposed to a 'Hunters Safety Course) and go through a pretty good background check before getting one issued.
Most 'Concerns' that made it to the Sound Bites were uneducated moot arguments. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I couldn't even finish reading the first article because of the author's pretty obvious disapproval of the law and his VERY distorted view of reality. I, for one, am tickled pink that they've passed this law. I heard it was in the works, but I didn't know it had already gone through into being passed.

I wonder how this will affect my ability (or rather, my lack thereof) to CC at work? We DO have armed security ... well, ONE armed security officer at a time (maybe two during the daytime) ... but no gun lockers for anyone except the law enforcement folks, and that's only just outside of the "jailbird wing" of the hospital (complete with another armed guard and a metal detector). With the passage of one of the somewhat recent laws here prohibiting employers from having policies restricting employees from having a firearm in their vehicle on campus (as long as the vehicle is locked up and the weapon is out of sight), the hospital admins VERY begrudgingly went along with it, but they still prohibit ANY kind of "weapons" to be carried on-campus, including knives of ANY length (even a little 1" blade), Tasers, or pepper spray ... unless, of course, you're a LEO, because they have, like, super-duper special training that no mere civilian could ever have. :p

We're right smack dab in the middle of one of the nastiest ghetto areas of Phoenix AND located right next to the state loony bin, so we frequently get crackheads, drunks, tweakers, and just downright crazy people wandering on/off campus at all hours of the day and night. Even if I could (legally) get away with just carrying my NAA Earl in a pocket throughout the day, I would feel a LOT better going on my 6 PM walks around campus (I sit on my butt in front of a computer all day, gotta stretch my legs) and going out to my vehicle at night, which is parked in the MANDATORY employee parking area a full 1/4 mile away from the building. As it is, I feel a bit naked with nothing more than a bright LED flashlight and a good pair of shoes to get my butt out of a situation if some random scumbag decides to jump me. :(

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am 100% for Campus Carry. I mean this really is one of those situations where a rule against carrying will...absolutely... not keep a single Knucklehead from getting and using a gun, and will...definitely...keep many law-abiding people (who just don't want to break the law) from carrying. Perfect place to stage an ambush.

And the guy that wrote the Arizona article sounds like a jackarse.
Hopefully he will get robbed at gunpoint, soon. (Yes I know that sounds sick. Hmm. Maybe it is. Sure might be a lesson well-learned though).

Always gets to me when people are not satisfied with their own exercise of free will. They need to decide what you can/can't do also.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
If a student or a professor or even the janitor has a carry permit, then there is NO logical reason to restrict them from having a gun anywhere at all, period. None. They have suffered a background check, probably been through some classes, paid whatever fees, and more. Clearly, you cannot carry a handgun until age 21, which cuts out almost all of the freshmen and most of the sophomores unless they got started later in life.

There is a valid argument against it due to drinking with guns. But a person who has a permit already knows not to drink and carry. That is against the law in most (all?) states. College is about grown-up time, not baby time. Let the students make adult decisions and if they make poor ones, let them face adult consequences.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Always gets to me when people are not satisfied with their own exercise of free will. They need to decide what you can/can't do also.
ME TOO.:mad:

Jim

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
That's what liberals love to do. If they have an opinion about something it's their belief that everybody should think like they do, or else the cry, whine, and cause a stink about it. Most of that type remind me of a toddler throwing a tantrum, only more annoying.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
The "no guns on campus" rule did not stop a student in the university here from being murdered with a handgun in university housing a couple of years ago. I guess his killer did not take time to read the fire arm laws of the state, and the policy of the university.

Life is short, be happy
Jack

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yep Torrent.

It's a different subject but I feel a similar way to those against abortion choice. I refer to the 2 different sides as the Pro-Choice and the Anti-Choice movements, because that is really what it is. Calling the Anti-Choice side "Pro-Life" was a very brilliant piece of propaganda semantics.

I don't know exactly where this puts me poltically. I am Pro-Gun choice, Pro-Choice choice and Pro-Death Penalty choice (if you choose to take a life Society can choose to end yours).

Btw I don't mean to start a big debate about abortion etc. I certainly understand the thoughts and feelings of those that are strongly against it. I am not so sure I could ever participate in it personally however (and as a Physician I never have). That is different from me trying to prevent someone else from making a different decision. (I love these guys that murder people to show how Pro-Life they are).

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Arizona Passes Bill Allowing Guns In Public Buildings, And Why Ever Not?
http://wonkette.com/469768/arizona-passes-bill-allowing-guns-in-public-buildings-and-why-ever-not

Back-Pack'n: The Debate over Campus Carry from the Campus
http://www.guns.com/back-packn-the-debate-over-campus-carry-from-the-campus.html

I am not sure how I feel about campus carry, mixed feelings on this.
Actually the Arizona "Law" did not happen. It was Vetoed.
http://www.mohavedailynews.com/articles/2012/04/19/news/local/doc4f8fc8d1df5ca793082325.txt

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Here in Colorado, our state supreme court ruled that the University of Colorado (CU) cannot ban concealed carry on campus. Our state law, that allows carry in most places, trumps university rules. This has really pissed off the CU regents who think they are all-powerful. Just now, reported in todays paper, CU is trying to backdoor a new ban in place by requiring students to sign away their firearm rights in their housing agreement (dorm rooms).

CU is well known as a party school - drugs, alcohol, etc. And rapes/assaults do occur on campus. So for the law abiding people (who are the ones who get CCW permits in the first place) I can't think of a MORE appropriate place to carry a firearm for self defense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts