Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just wondering if someone could suggest some good pratice ammo to break in my P3AT in with. I'm looking for something inexpensive and accurate preferably FMJ and that will cycle without hanging up. Read an article in American Rifleman (I'm an NRA member) that said that some of the cheap stuff doesn't cycle all that well in this gun and that the little Kel-Tec likes energetic rounds better to cycle properely. Thanks Guys!

Tom j
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
Most of the latest P-3ATs will shoot most anything well. It's easier to list what to avoid rather than what works well.

Avoid any steel cased ammo such as Wolf.

Some P-3ATs don't do well with aluminum cased ammo such as CCI Blazer aluminum (CCI brass is better). My gun happens to shoot CCI aluminum well.

Some don't do well with Sellier and Bellot (hard primers). My gun is one of these.

DO NOT USE MAGSAFE!

That's about it... try whatever else you can get at a low price and see what seems the most accurate and cycles best in your gun.

Keep the gun clean and well lubed, especially the chamber and feed ramp clean and smooth and you should be all set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
American Eagle is a safe bet. Check the Price and try 1 box of Sellier and Bellot and see what happens, ditto Magtech,(Brazilian),Not the same as MagSafe. Some use Winchester "White Box". I had trouble with CCI Aluminum Case--failure to fire. Except for American Eagle, I wouldn't buy more than 1 box of anything until I proved to myself it would fire reliably.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
always1stnline said:
American Eagle is a safe bet. Check the Price and try 1 box of Sellier and Bellot and see what happens, ditto Magtech,(Brazilian),Not the same as MagSafe. Some use Winchester "White Box". I had trouble with CCI Aluminum Case--failure to fire. Except for American Eagle, I wouldn't buy more than 1 box of anything until I proved to myself it would fire reliably.
Hi found all these on Cheaper The Dirt they owe me a free shipping. So which one would you say has the best accuracy?? they are all fairly inexpensive so I would want the one that would give me the best point of aim, probably will try a couple. Thanks

Tom j
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
Curt32 said:
Hi found all these on Cheaper The Dirt they owe me a free shipping. So which one would you say has the best accuracy?? they are all fairly inexpensive so I would want the one that would give me the best point of aim, probably will try a couple. Thanks

Tom j
The American Eagle is the most accurate of those out of my gun, and it's also the hottest if you want it for carry purposes but it's not too hot for practice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Best accuracy, I have no idea. All I do is shoot a few shots from a rest so I get a SWAG,(scientific wild ass guess), if it will shoot where aimed. This is a combat weapon and if you can consistently hit a dinner plate quickly at 7 yds, that is good enough.I have read that 50% of confrontations occur within 3 ft and 80% within 20 ft. (7yds minus a foot)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
The Independence that I first shot out of my P-3AT
had excellent point of aim. The first 18 rds, well most were within a 2" Square at 7 yds (how be it a little high and to the right).

The WWB that I've used since does somewhat ok, what I mean is sometimes I hit the bull dead center and sometimes wherever. The only problem I've found with the WWB is that, in my gun, it seems to fail to eject way to often for my taste. I'm going to try Blazer Brass or Rem UMC in it next.



BY The Way, where do you guys find the Corbon DPX? No one around here seems to carry it. I might have to buy it straight from Corbon on-line.

Does Bass Pro carry it? There is one in Orlando that I haven't tried yet.

Currently I'm using Corbon JHP for my carry load, and yes it shoots fine (a little low though).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deadeye said:
The Independence that I first shot out of my P-3AT
had excellent point of aim. The first 18 rds, well most were within a 2" Square at 7 yds (how be it a little high and to the right).

The WWB that I've used since does somewhat ok, what I mean is sometimes I hit the bull dead center and sometimes wherever. The only problem I've found with the WWB is that, in my gun, it seems to fail to eject way to often for my taste. I'm going to try Blazer Brass or Rem UMC in it next.



BY The Way, where do you guys find the Corbon DPX? No one around here seems to carry it. I might have to buy it straight from Corbon on-line.

Does Bass Pro carry it? There is one in Orlando that I haven't tried yet.

Currently I'm using Corbon JHP for my carry load, and yes it shoots fine (a little low though).
Hi I picked up a few boxes at www.cheaperthendirt.com runs about 20 bucks won't be test firing a lot of it I was told that they actually used an P3AT in developing the round

Tom j
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: The American Eagle is the most accurate of those out of my gun, and it's also the hottest if you want it for carry purposes but it's not too hot for practice.



Say Bo, thinks! say is this stuff FMJ. I think I'll give it a try, do you know what the ft/sec is? just found an article in Combat Handguns May 2006 page 66 on best 380 loads, they say the best pratice stuff in terms of accuracy is Federals 95 grain FMJ but at 857 ft/sec it might be a little anemic for the P3AT cuz I saw another article in The American Rifleman Sept 2006 pg 87 where they say that the gun requires fairly entergetic rounds to feed and eject properely, anybody ever tried the Federal stuff and if so did you notice any problems ejecting the spent cases. Thanks

Tom j
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Federal 95gr American Eagle .380 ACP has a listed muzzle energy of 190ft lbs. These figures are usually arrived at from a 4" or maybe even 6" barrel, so they are overstated for a short barreled P3AT, but meaningful if compared to other ammo.If it won't cycle with this stuff, I think you are limp wristing, or have a problem. These light guns are ammo sensitive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
always1stnline said:
Federal 95gr American Eagle .380 ACP has a listed muzzle energy of 190ft lbs. These figures are usually arrived at from a 4" or maybe even 6" barrel, so they are overstated for a short barreled P3AT, but meaningful if compared to other ammo.If it won't cycle with this stuff, I think you are limp wristing, or have a problem. These light guns are ammo sensitive.
Got ya the American Eagle is Federal, that's right going to pickup a few boxes. Thanks!

Tom j
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I found some Sellier & Bellot 92 gr. FMJ at a gun shop the other day. It cost $10.99 a box.
I took it and some Remington UMC 95 gr. with me to check for function and penatration.
Both kinds of ammo functioned flawlessly and the report on the Sellier & Bellot sounded very consistant.
I had two outdated master catalogs fron Cabela`s to shoot at. Together they were about the thickenss of a large phone book. The books were dry.
Both brands of ammo mentioned above shot through both books and kept trucking. I was shooting at a distance of 5 yards.
I liked the Sellier & Bellot ammo. Will be going back for more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ice said:
I found some Sellier & Bellot 92 gr. FMJ at a gun shop the other day. It cost just a little over $11. a box.
I took it and some Remington UMC 95 gr. with me to check for function and penatration.
Both kinds of ammo functioned flawlessly and the report on the Sellier & Bellot sounded very consistant.
I had two outdated master catalogs fron Cabela`s to shoot at. Together they were about the thickenss of a large phone book. The books were dry.
Both brands of ammo mentioned above shot through both books and kept trucking. I was shooting at a distance of 5 yards.
I liked the Sellier & Bellot ammo. Will be going back for more.
Hay now that's what I'm talkin about I'm impressed!  ;D Say what was the accuracy like? also just saw some fiiocchi FMJ 95 grain in the Sportman Guide for 9 bucks with a muzzle volocity of 1000 ft/sec anybody ever try these?

Tom j
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Curt32 said:
Hay now that's what I'm talkin about I'm impressed!  ;D Say what was the accuracy like? also  just saw some fiiocchi FMJ 95 grain in the Sportman Guide for 9 bucks with a muzzle volocity of 1000 ft/sec anybody ever try these?

Tom j
Curt32, I did not check for accuracy. I was mainly checking for any kind of malfunctions and for smileys.
I was at a public range and ask the other shooter there if he minded if I went up close to the target to squeeze off a few rounds. I really don`t like to do that when others are present because I hate to take up their range time so I did it quickly.
I could put five rounds in about half the size of a basketball very quickly.
At five yards I also put four rounds through the two books, two rounds of each brand.
 
G

·
FWIW, the UPLULA works great on the 380 kt magazines also. Wonderful accessory, every magazine shooter should own one of these..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
Curt32 said:
Hay now that's what I'm talkin about I'm impressed! ;D Say what was the accuracy like? also just saw some fiiocchi FMJ 95 grain in the Sportman Guide for 9 bucks with a muzzle volocity of 1000 ft/sec anybody ever try these?
I shot the Fiocchi and it worked very well in my P-3AT. No problems of any kind. It is the only ammo I've fired that produced a noticeable flame from the end of the barrel. I don't know if that's good or bad; maybe it's an indicator that it's a bit hotter ammo than some of the other loads. Then again maybe it's just the product of the chemical composition.

I noticed when I cleaned the pistol that there was a lot of black residue, and it took a lot of repetitions to get all the gunk out. I still haven't found any Fed. Amer. Eagle FMJ locally so I will probably hold onto what little Fiocchi I have left for carry during the winter months. A lot of people on this site like the Fed. AE and I intend to try it out. It can't hurt to try some Fiocchi, especially given its reasonable price.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top