Good News & Bad

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by PshootR, Mar 14, 2009.

1. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I ordered a C/T laser for my P3-AT from http://www.bearbasin.com/crimson-trace-laser-grips.htm#crimson_trace . $162.45 with free shipping and an extra set of batteries.

Installed the laser and went to the local range today, first chance I'd had in the week since the package arrived. Forgot the little Allen wrench that comes with it to make adjustments. With the cost of .380 ammo today, I debated whether to test the set-up at all or just shoot  the other guns I'd brought and go home. Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to try 24 rounds of Speer Gold Dots that I had with me.

Surprise No. 1, @ 7 yds. six shots grouped inside of 1.5" slightly left of center inside the 3" bull. Three holes made one cloverleaf.

Surprise No. 2, at shot #22 the trigger went slack and would not reset. Found the broken hammer spring on the shooting bench in front of me.

That's one reason I much prefer the conventional compression type of hammer spring to the Kel-Tec expansion style spring. When a compression hammer spring breaks, which is rare, the two parts are contained on the hammer strut and the shooter will not usually know anything is wrong until he or she detail strips the pistol. When a Kel-Tec hammer spring breaks the gun is out of action until repaired.

Faulty assumption: I had always thought that one of the benefits of the "paper clip mod" http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/triggerpull.htm was that besides a lighter trigger pull the stress on the hammer spring would be reduced as it would be under less tension and therefore spring breakage would be a thing of the past. Obviously my hammer spring broke anyway.

Have to rummage around now and see if I have a spare spring or whether a quick trip to Cocoa and lunch at the "Fabulous '50s Diner" will be necessary the next time I'm in the south-east Orlando area, which is pretty often. From there it's only about 35 min. to Cocoa on the tollway.

Fabulous '50s Diner, Cocoa, Florida, 1120 Clearlake Rd.
    [​IMG]

2. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    That's too bad. Did the spring break where it wraps around the hammer pin? How many total rounds do you have through your 3AT?

3. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Yes, it broke at the base of the hammer.
    I don't know for sure how many rounds over the years, I'd guess about 1,000.

4. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I apologize for the thread stealing. I am sorry about the spring situation, that stinks. But is the diner cool? My wife loves 40's and 50's stuff, and even though it is a bit of a drive, perhaps a trip this weekend may be in order. :)

5. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Sorry to be so late in answering your question about the Fabulous 50's Diner, I hadn't checked this thread for a while.

It's pretty good for home style Southern cooking. Would be better with music IMHO. Seems to attract mainly older local people. You can eat outside if you smoke (we don't).

BTW, after rummaging around at home I found a new P3-AT hammer spring so everything is now back to normal

6. wizard92

wizard92 Active Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Florida
    Thread stealing is bad, going to anyway. Being local, 50's diner is a great stop in this area.
    Back to topic, is replacing the spring a difficult fix? Got about 500rds through mine, plan on more this afternoon.