Good lubracant to use

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Kahrbarian, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Kahrbarian

Kahrbarian New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    I'm new to the forum and am going to buy a P3AT as soon as I can find one for a reasonable price in my area. I'm trying to gather as much information on these little pistols so I can be ready to test fire and get it up an running. I've been reading a lot of threads about the importance of frequent lubracating during the break-in period.

What is a good lubracant to use for the P3AT that you guys have had success with? Any brand to stay away from?

Thanx!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG.  Good luck in quest to find a P3AT.  They are nice little pocket pistols.

As far as lube,  every body has their opinion (unfortunately mine is one least favored)  I would say any grease for the break in.

CLICK HERE for a poll on this site about who uses what.  about the 3rd post is another link by RCModel that has results of his testing

CLICK HERE for the Golden Loki's lubrication page, It shows the different areas that need lubricating

3. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Light grease on the slide rails, hammer slide and barrel lug. Oil on the trigger/hammer assembly. I use Slick 50 One Grease and Militec-1. I also use CLP on the exterior for rust prevention.

4. pjm204

pjm204 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
  5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Baked-on Militec here with their grease as well. Sometimes Remoil.

6. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I'm currently trying out coating the relevant parts first with Militec-1, then using Slide Glide Lite grease in areas where grease is applicable, and RemOil in areas where oil is more appropriate.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That sounds like a good plan.

8. Galcosgottago

Galcosgottago New Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Hi - I want to throw in a pitch for a product called EEZOX - they are out of Kalifornia... phenominal cleaning/lubricant/preservative combination product - non caustic - non toxic. I use it offshore on my salt wate reels as well.... water will beed off your gun like it had duck feathers. Good stuff and its an all in one. good luck

Jerry

9. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Another vote for EEZOX ... been using it for about 6 months.

Extremely lite film of moly grease on hammer and block and sometimes on the rails.

Sometimss use very lite synthetic oil film on rails.

Never shoot m ore that 50 per session.

10. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    I have been using Lucas Gun Oil. I'm a car guy and it was in one of those little stands at the parts store... cheesy i know. It seems to be a good lubricant (plus i have had no feed/firing problems with it), but really attracts the fuz from my pocket. I have been thinking about trying something else just for that reason.

Cheers

11. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Thanks, Tx!!!

12. keast

keast New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Not sure if it's right or wrong but I use fishing reel oil and grease since I had it around.  Quantum red hot sauce for oil and clear grease for reels on the slides.  It seems to keep things running smoothly.  I've recently seen some good information on Slip 2000 and am considering trying that.  Especially after seeing how it faired in a salt environment vs a number of other highly touted gun cleaning/oiling products.  

13. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Gee, I don't think a little fuzz would hurt anything as long as it was not clogged. :)

14. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I have always used rem oil but now used break ease, the Exox stuff gets good reviews too. Never tried Mobil 1, some swear by it.

I am conservative, just get break ease, but you really can't go wrong with just about anything except WD40.

15. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I did a Militec-1 bake early on. I've used various lubricants, but pretty much now use Breakfree CLP for everything (as the name implies). I do put a thin coat of grease (Militec-1 for now, till I use it up), on the hammer bar, hammer face and slide rails. If I pull the frame out, I also put some grease on the trigger bar.

16. erikswindlehurst

erikswindlehurst Banned

Jan 5, 2008
    Militec is great and if you ask them nicely, they'll send you free samples of their oil and grease. Lasts a long time, too! I think you have to be military or law enforcement for the samples, but they never asked me. :cool:

17. frickster

frickster New Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I use Amsoil motor oil.

18. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    i've been told that motor oil works fabulously on machine guns stateside, that might actually be worth trying!

i've got a tube of hoppe's grease that's actually storage grease, but it works fine for function. didn't even read the label til recently. also have TW25B, too. stuff works great. in regards to oil, i use mil tec mostly on all my non KT pistols and regular ole hoppe's gun oil on long guns except the M1A (grease gets it) and the AR (that gets mil tec).

19. Gooseneck

Gooseneck New Member

Jan 22, 2008
    I use good ole Hoppes #9 on my other guns so thats what I put on the Keltec too. I'm seeing a lot of people like to use some grease on it as well, but I'm a little hesitant about that collecting dirt and residue. Should i be using something else ??

20. erikswindlehurst

erikswindlehurst Banned

Jan 5, 2008
    Oil attracts dirt and grit, too. Grease stays in place and doesn't dry out or burn off when firing like oil does, or at least not nearly as fast.