Good Friday - Great Saturday

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Blackrose93, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Blackrose93

Blackrose93 New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Last Saturday I went to the range and shot 50 rounds of WWB through my P3AT with a whole bunch of FTEs  >:(. I was ready to get rid of the gun that was been back to KelTec once for FTF and FTE problems. Sunday night night I figured I would send an email to KelTec and ask If I needed to send my gun back or if I could just get a few parts and try it myself. Monday morning I had an email from KelTec asking for the part numbers I wanted, my mailing address and serial number. I emailed them asking for a new extractor, extractor spring, ejector, buttonhead, firing pin and firing pin spring. Monday was a holiday so I figure the parts went in the mail on Tuesday? Well Friday I got my new parts and checked them against the old ones and there were some noticeable differences mainly in the firing pin spring and the ejector.
    The new parts are on the left.
    [​IMG]
    The new firing pin spring is shorter than the old one.
    [​IMG]

I removed the old, cleaned everything real good before I put the new parts in and waited until I went to the range this afternoon. My confidence has returned :)! 60 rounds without a problem. The casings are ejecting farther away from the gun then they ever did. I know I need to put more through it before I know for sure but I am feeling pretty good about it. This is my second dealing with Customer Service and they have been great both times.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    wow...that old fp spring looks huge compared to the old.

did you notice if extractor screw was loose when you removed it?
    did you look to see if the extractor tip was sharp or rounded?

I found a post with FP diminsions and from coil count, it looks like I have the "old" spring :eek:

3. Blackrose93

Blackrose93 New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    The screw wasn't loose when I removed it. I have a habit of checking it before and after I use the gun. I know that can be a cause of problems. The extractor had a little bit of wear but it didn't appear to be rounded. The new ejector has less to it with the one side hollowed out now. With the exception of the ejector and the firing pin spring, everything else seemed to be the same. I did make sure I cleaned out the firing pin cavity real good and the grove where the extractor goes. I guess the least little bit of dirt in there can cause it to miss a clean extraction. I can't say if it was a combination or just one of the parts that made the difference but it is working just fine now  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]. I tried to get better pictures but the camera is a POS and I don't know how to use all the "easy" features on it.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I'm just amazed they answered your email, especially so quickly. That is not the norm. It is usually best to call them. When called, their service department is very responsive, easiy among the best in the industry. Most manufactures will certainly not send you free parts for the asking without even supplying proof of purchase. KT service operates on the honor system. :cool:

5. Blackrose93

Blackrose93 New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    The email response I got was from Bill. It was last Sunday night, a phone call wasn't going to happen and I needed to let someone know I wasn't happy. I was surprised when I had a reply the next morning before I could even call. I was even more surprised when the parts showed up a few days later. I am going to call them on Monday to let them know how pleased I am. I don't imagine they get too many of those calls.

6. wizard92

wizard92 Active Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Florida
    I have sent Kel Tec 6 emails within the last 2 weeks and gotten great response. If it was normal business hours, I got a response(also from Bill) within 2 hours. Great customer service.