GoldFinger

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rebootit, Apr 8, 2011.

1. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    I was digging around an old job box today and found a book of 22k antique leaf with one sheet of gold left. That isn't going to far on any job and it was beat up a little so I decided to pimp out the p3at just a little bit. The result is here. http://www.dnssigns.com/kt/kt.jpg The little flakes of gold will blow out but not until I'm sure the finish is 100% dry.

2. MTakas

MTakas New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    As I was reading that I had all kinds of terrible images of tacky overdone bling in my head. But that is actually a nice gold accent.

Good job.

3. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
  4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Uhmm, the saying "There is no disputing taste." comes to mind. Your gilding skills are however to be lauded.

Bill K.

5. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Nice touch - unique, but not gaudy!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bobo

6. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    I have to say it's much easier than glass. Was nice to actually get to play with gold again. It's been years since anyone has asked for it or wanted to pay the price for the work. Everybody now days uses vinyl and even though it's not even close to the real thing it's affordable. This may have been the last time I actually got the gilding brushes out of the case, although my business partner wants me to do his gun too.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I have to say it's much easier than glass. Was nice to actually get to play with gold again. It's been years since anyone has asked for it or wanted to pay the price for the work. Everybody now days uses vinyl and even though it's not even close to the real thing it's affordable. This may have been the last time I actually got the gilding brushes out of the case, although my business partner wants me to do his gun too. [/quote]

I'm not sure of it was here on KTOG but I seem to remember someone doing friction tape where you have the gilding. The black on hard chrome (or was it another gun with a stainless upper?) really looked sharp. Think the friction tape also helped for racking the slide. Is there such a thing as black gold gilding?  :)

Bill K.

8. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    There are different metals to gilde with. Silver and gold are the two most common but yes they make black out of something. Gold is the thinnest. The leaf I used was around 2 microns in thickness. Other metals can't be pounded out to such a thin layer without breaking up. Real gold leaf is still hand made, the best coming from Germany. I have seen some stuff on ebay made in China claiming to be 22k for $20 a book but have to wonder if it's what they claim. I looked up the price from my supply house and books of the German gold is $65 a book of 20 leafs. That amount of gold weighs maybe a 10th of a gram. If I was going to do black in the slide grooves I would use Duracoat or some other 2 part paint.