Golden Saber No likey

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Jkwas, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Jkwas

Jkwas New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Tried out some Remington Golden Saber in my P3AT saturday. The 3rd round FTF'd on me. It stuck on the feed ramp and locked up solid. It wouldn't cycle out, and I had a tough time removing the mag to clear it. Finally worked it loose. Ran the rest of the mag thru, it shot ok, and then another. Problem is, that one event really spooked me. Afterwards, I put 30 rounds of S&B FMJ thru it without any failures, just like the previous time I shot it. Can anyone suggest another JHP I might try, or should I just stick to what works? :-/

2. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    There seem to be a LOT of golden saber fans who carry it here at KTOG--and it's a nice, hefty, penetrating round that seems to have a very reliable primer. HOWEVER, there are also a ton of people here who like the Corbon DPX HP round as well as Speer Gold Dot HPs. They're both shorter with sharper angles, so they may feed better. I'm sure you'll find a ton of stuff if you just skim back over the last few pages of topics...ammo comes up a lot. Have you polished your feed ramp at all? Was it dirty with buildup and stuff when the hang-up occured??

I worried about the Golden Saber being so big, but I've NEVER heard a single person with a problem...I bought one box, but haven't shot it yet. I want to like them since the Golden Sabers are much cheaper and heavier than the DPX. I like heavy.

3. markboss

markboss New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    My P3AT fires the Golden Saber with no problems,,,,
    Never read a problem before..
    keep us advised!!

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I just look at all the testing that I can find and pick what I think to be the best. As long as that is reliable that is what I stick with - regardless of cost. To me, right now, that is the DPX. Anyone know where the best deal on it is currently?

-Scott

5. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    My 3AT has been flawless with Remington Express 88 gr. JHP
    and Federal Hydra Shok JHP.

6. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I'm a bit of a Golden Saber fan, have it in four guns, two of which are .380.

That said, find what works! The most popular round on here is CorBon DPX, although it is hard to find sometimes, and pricey always. But its reputation is great! And then there is a sizable group that subscribe to the theory that in this caliber, to ensure adequate penetration, one is better off selecting FMJ. To each his own!

7. raybsc

raybsc New Member Supporter

Oct 9, 2006
    I use the Golden Saber and carry it, so far it has never been a problem.
    I have not found anything that my P3AT won't eat.
    Lots of mirror finishes and lube in just the right places.
    raybsc

8. Silver_Dollar

Silver_Dollar New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ammunition to go. com has DPX (20 rds) for $ 18.95

9. unit1069

unit1069 New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Golden Saber in my P-3AT so far has been perfect; I can't say that about any other ammo, be it JHP or FMJ. That's why it's what I carry except during the coldest part of Winter when I switch to all-FMJ.

Find an ammo you feel confident with in your gun and carry that. Don't worry about too much about quality brand names or bullet type as long as you stay away from the questionable junk loads.

10. Jkwas

Jkwas New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I haven't done anything to the gun but clean and lube it. It has about 125 rounds total in it. The GS round that hung up was the third shot in a clean gun. I can't always guarantee the gun will be perfectly lubed and clean in my pocket holster, so whatever is in it has to shoot reliably in regular carry/use. Perhaps after more shooting the feed ramp will break in. But for now I will stick to what has worked 100% if for no other reason than for peace of mind. Maybe I'll try a box of Gold dot in the near future.

11. garyg

garyg New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Just wondering why Silvertips dont seem to be mentioned in any discussions of ammunition. I always heard it was good. Was I wrong?

12. markboss

markboss New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    125 rounds, your still breaking the gun in, probably needs another 200 rounds, to be broken in...

Try G.S. after about 200 more rounds....

My P3AT has been perfect, great CCW..

13. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    That's what I've got in mine.  Good for werewolves too.

14. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    i was really truly surprised at just how EXPENSIVE rem express 88's were. more like what i pay for win SXT's in .40 or .45. hopefully i can get the gun up and running soon, at this point i'm looking at alternating the express every other round with WWB FMJ.

15. patriot07

patriot07 New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    I have also had no problem with the Golden Sabre. And I also subscribe to the bigger is better theory, especially with such a short barrel, so the GS is my bread and butter and I carry it all the time.

16. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    GS run thru both of my P3ATs and Fed HS LE. +1 on trying after 200 rounds, get er broken in good before shooting the high $ stuff.