Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
I want it for home defense. Is this a good gun for that job?
It’s certainly not bad but there are better choices. The main attribute that the sub brings to the table is its ability to fold and unfold. This is a very desirable thing for discreet transport of a long gun. That ability also has some negatives. It is not a strong firearm and it has the ergonomics of a piece of pipe with a brick attached. Unless you need the folding feature I would get another PCC for the home defense role. The Barretta storm carbine for example is a far better weapon as to dependability, longevity and ergonomics.
For discreet transport of a PCC that can be quickly made ready from folded to loaded ready to go nothing beats the sub. For a house gun the list is long that are better suited.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I personally keep a Remington 870 20 gauge youth model with 2 buckshots and 2 bird shots behind for my primary home defense and will bring it out way before my Sub2K. Now in the future, when I have to contend with marauding hordes coming down my road, I will have my S2K and my two CMR30s to meet them with.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It always depends on your situation. With a carbine, your penetration through walls, etc. will be greater due to a longer barrel. If you live in an apartment, you could conceivably shoot someone next door. Consider your situation and the layout of your home. Shotguns with buckshot may be a better option, but are not as manageable in tight quarters.

Handguns with a good light are another good choice. Do your research and then decide. Lots of good information on the internet. Check out Pew Pew Tactical. They have a good article on best home defense choices.

I love my Subbie, but it wouldn't be my first choice for home defense.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Well, yes and no. I used one in competition for a few years and it ran and ran with the right ammo. Never any malfunctions unless I used ammo that it just didn't like. IMO, it requires a micro red dot sight unless you have a really weirdly shaped head. It's not my HD gun, but would I consider myself handicapped if it was? Absolutely not. It's 100% reliable. I have suggested it to folks looking for a HD gun and told them precisely what I just told you.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It always depends on your situation. With a carbine, your penetration through walls, etc. will be greater due to a longer barrel. If you live in an apartment, you could conceivably shoot someone next door. Consider your situation and the layout of your home. Shotguns with buckshot may be a better option, but are not as manageable in tight quarters.

Handguns with a good light are another good choice. Do your research and then decide. Lots of good information on the internet. Check out Pew Pew Tactical. They have a good article on best home defense choices.

I love my Subbie, but it wouldn't be my first choice for home defense.
That's why I have the youth model 870. Nice and short and maneuverable. I also have a 9mm pistol as backup.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would have no problem using my Sub2000 for hd. It is very reliable, light weight and easy to handle. I have thousands of rds through it and it is it still tight and reliable. The ability to fold it is a plus as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
671 Posts
As I said, all I have to do with my 870 or my Taurus G2C is point, flick the safety, and fire. With my S2K, I have to unfold, chamber, take it off safety, and then fire. It is not quick enough for a dangerous instantaneous situation.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It will do the job. I couldn't justify buying an S2K for that reason however.

I justified buying my S2K by saying I needed a truck/backpack gun.

I used "Home Defense" to justify buying a Taurus Judge.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Just like, literally, thousands of other options, it will do the job fine. The most important things are that you are competent and comfortable using it. That includes practicing until you are an expert with the platform.

If you are concerned about over-penetration then a carbine in 5.56 is the way to go. Real-world tests consistently confirm that 5.56 penetrates fewer walls than most other options, including most shotgun ammo above birdshot.

I justified buying my S2K by saying I needed a truck/backpack gun.
I used the "I don't have one of those" justification. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm not trying to talk you out of buying an S2K. They are a cool, unique and fun firearm (and definitely fun to show people). My point is that if you want to use it for home defense, keep it unfolded and chambered for quick use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Real-world tests consistently confirm that 5.56 penetrates fewer walls than most other options, including most shotgun ammo above birdshot.
Where did that come from? What kind of loads?

Reactions: Kiloseven

·
Registered
38 Posts
Depends. Do you live in the Country or in the Suburbs? Maybe in an apartment? I personally believe a handgun in 9 or 45 is best but the sub can just fine. I have a 2000 but I keep a Glock within reach.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Train with it, be completely comfortable and familiar with it and most any weapon will serve you well for that purpose. Plus a Sub2K with 33 round magazine of Hydra-Shocks is formidable in most any situation. Situational awareness is required as well, always knowing what’s beyond your target is of the utmost importance when a family member might be on the other side of a wall.
Any firearm could be enough to protect you, it’s really an individual decision, once you settle on your final choice you will need to be prepared mentally as well.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Where did that come from? What kind of loads?
First time I saw the tests it was from Box o' Truth. But since then I've seen it replicated by everyone from (noted gun writer) Tom Gresham to random youtubers.

The short version is that the light (55gr) 5.56 at high velocity tends to tumble and rapidly lose energy, quickly intermediating, as it passes through drywall. OTOH, the heavier, slower moving, solidly constructed, pistol rounds tend to maintain their integrity and momentum much more as they pass through drywall.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Uncle_Jesse

·
Registered
892 Posts
I suggest the PCC in general and the sub2k specifically to non gun owning homeowners wanting HD because PCCs are much easier to use accurately since they are shoulder fired. But for some reason (hellywierd movies?) they almost all want to go with a handgun that requires dedication and continuing practice to get good and stay good with*. Bullets that enter and stay in the perp don't penetrate walls and such. The point of deadly force isn't about making noise but applying that force to it's best effect.

* I have yet to see ANY homeowner who isn't in the gun culture that does that. Heck, many long time gun owners shoot a paper target from the bench and think they are ready for what comes their way. Wrong! Whatever.

·
Registered
49 Posts
First time I saw the tests it was from Box o' Truth. But since then I've seen it replicated by everyone from (noted gun writer) Tom Gresham to random youtubers.

The short version is that the light (55gr) 5.56 at high velocity tends to tumble and rapidly lose energy, quickly intermediating, as it passes through drywall. OTOH, the heavier, slower moving, solidly constructed, pistol rounds tend to maintain their integrity and momentum much more as they pass through drywall.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Yeah, that kinda makes sense, if you were using 55 gr I suppose it could go that way. The old tumbling 5.56 story has been around since the 60s. But based on real-world use, I have seen them go in one side and out the other. We are even allowed to use .223 on deer up here, just not FMJs. You are also assuming people are using 55 r projectiles, or at least basing your response on that.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just I don't like to see random "expert" from the interwebs word taken as gospel I have a 10l. inch barreled AR pistol, that works well for home defense, I also sleep with a 1911 on the night stand and carry it all day. But I live out in the middle of nowhere and am not too worried about overpenetration, if I were a 12 ga with a load of #4 buck would most likely be an option I would consider. A person's level of training is also something that would be something I would want to know before I made any recommendations..YMMV

Just my .02, probably not worth that much.

Reactions: dred

·
Registered
671 Posts
In basic training (50+ years ago) we were shown a film of the tumbling effect of the 5.56 out of an M16. The film showed a soldier mow down a mortared brick wall at about 20 meters. We were also told that the projectile did not begin tumbling until more than 10 meters. Either way, I think the fmj round would penetrate several drywall walls in its path.

·
Registered
429 Posts
In basic training (50+ years ago) we were shown a film of the tumbling effect of the 5.56 out of an M16...We were also told that the projectile did not begin tumbling until more than 10 meters. Either way, I think the fmj round would penetrate several drywall walls in its path.
Not sure I follow; are you saying that 5.56 fmj tumbles in flight after 10 meters?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts