Goin back to Kel-tec.....

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by GAFFN1, Jan 30, 2008.

1. GAFFN1

GAFFN1 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Well after only 100rds on my 2nd gen P-3AT, its goin back to get fixed.......Took the wife to range to let her get some range time on the little guy and away from the G27 ( she does not like the recoil)!!  She gets two clips down range with no probs, so i step up and the first 2 rds go and then what I think is a miss fire turns out to be a light strike.  I drop the mag and get the round out and start to notice the recoil rod is sticking out farther than what it should be and the slide is really loose on the front end of the pistol!!!  I put it back in my pocket and finish of the G27 rounds and take the k-tec to the gunsmith who is there and ask his opinion!  He did not take it apart and asked how long I have had the pistol and he tells me to send it back and let em fix it......................so she will be leaving in day or so and now its back to carrying G27 for awhile....I really want this gun to work and not have to worry about any issues!!!!!  

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG. Kind of hard to understand what is happening, But a trip back to KT should fix her up

3. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Is this characteristic of peening, JFB. You would know better than most.

BTW, I have you washers in my P3AT. No signs of peening on my end.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I don't think so if it is just the rod sticking out more.

Unless both springs went down range
    or the inner went down range and the outer slipped past the head

There was no mention of how much more, but maybe the rod isn't resting in the frame, but infront of the frame in the grip.

But that would not cause a light strike :-/

5. GAFFN1

GAFFN1 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    When I talked to Kel-tec customer service, he said that is what it sounds like.......the peening issue....I thought they had cleared that up with the 2nd gen pistols? I need to take pics....but the weird thing is that the slide sticks out further than frame does?

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Don't sound like peening with what you provided here

How far out was the rod sticking?

What serial#?  I'll find the past post that had what was believed was begining and ending range for the peening problem
    Looks like the range was HZxxx to JBxxx

Why not field strip it and see?

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Missing assembly pin
    broken barrel lug

8. GAFFN1

GAFFN1 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Serial # is JFN**, I think it is a 2nd gen, could be wrong.....I have pics but don't think I am allowed to upload them.....?

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    No uploading allowed. You have to host them somewhere else and link to them:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1115586716

-Scott

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    To post pics
    1) you have to have them stored on the web
    2) Use the third tag (the one that looks like a landscape picture) to enclose the location of the pic

The JFxxx should be well past the range of report peening

11. GAFFN1

GAFFN1 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    This might work.........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Doesn't look like the rod is sticking out any further than normal, and the pics are kinda low quality, but I don't see any evidence of peening. Or were these pics before the incident?

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Good job on posting the pics.  I might have to fondle it a bit, but I don't see anything obviously wrong there...

Right out of my pocket - one of my P3ATs:

[​IMG]

-Scott

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Is there supose to be something different from before your range session?

Those look normal to me :-?

Boy, dial up sure makes it slow or yall sure can type

15. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Your pics look normal and the only other thing I see in your post is a light strike. I am betting the only thing that happened was a short stroke of the trigger. Unlike some other guns (your G27 for one) you have to let the trigger go ALL THE WAY FORWARD between shots - 2 clicks, not just one. Otherwise is does not completely reset and light strikes occur.

And there should be some play at the front of the slide - note the room in mine between the slide and grip is about the same as yours and that is "play" area.

-Scott

16. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    fwiw, i would not send it back. that guide rod looks better than mine.

+1 on the advice about short stroking it, try other ammo to be sure, and then send it back if necessary...

17. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    was the like strike a "second round" Is it possible you short pulled the trigger and only dropped the hammer from block?

And with out the magazine installed forcing the slide up hard agaisnt the frame rails, you though it felt "loose"

edit to add

Again yall can type faster, I'm giving up ;)

18. GAFFN1

GAFFN1 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Thanks for all of the help first off!!!!   I am gonna send it back anyway just to be sure.......if they find nothing wrong it will at least have been factory serviced!!!!  Is the Serial # a second gen model? I allow the trigger to reset each time between rounds, this little guy is nothing like my G27 with the short reset, its a very looooooooooooooong pull to make it go BANG!!! BTW I was shooting Winchester rounds?

19. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    hell, with a little research, you would know that is a second gen by the slide design.

but then again, NO, IT WILL NOT BE FACTORY SERVICED IF THEY FIND NOTHING WRONG, and why incur the expense if you do not have to?

Your call, your money, but for all the ones I have checked, I would not send it back.

20. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Yes, it's second gen.  But send it back?  There is likely nothing wrong with it AND you are talking about giving it up for 4-6 weeks or more?  I guess to each his own, but I'd do a lot of testing and working things out before I thought about sending it back after one light strike.   :-/

-Scott