Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no affiliation, or even any knowledge of the product beyond viewing their website, but it looks interesting.

https://go-mags.net/

Reactions: haugrdr

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I don't know much about magnetism. I do remember that it can transfer from item to item sometimes. e.g., Take normally non-magnetic item A and attach to magnet. Take non-magnetic item B and touch to item A. It sticks. Remove item A from contact with magnet, and item B remains stuck to item A.

I don't know if this would apply to guns when touched with a very strong magnet like they are selling here. It's got to be a rare earth magnet for something that small to hold 15lbs like they say. And if transfer does apply, would it in any way decrease the reliability or functionality of the gun? You wouldn't want your sear to end up magnetically attached to your trigger. I'm sure the vendor tested for this effect, you'd expect the springs in a gun would overcome whatever slight magnetic transfer might have occurred, but transfer was the first question that popped into my small brain.

I wonder how this device would work with stainless guns? Depending on the composition of the stainless, it can have very little magnetic attraction. Some stainless will grab on to a magnet, other stainless will not. Don't know which composition of stainless is used in guns, or if that varies.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I have a magnet gun holder. I think it is called mag holster or something like that. I used it for a while. During the use period, I kept having trouble with my laser failing. I quit using the magnetic holder, and the lasers don't fail. I think the magnet was messing with the electronics.

Reactions: 850sub

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I wonder how this device would work with stainless guns? Depending on the composition of the stainless, it can have very little magnetic attraction. Some stainless will grab on to a magnet, other stainless will not. Don't know which composition of stainless is used in guns, or if that varies.
400 series stainless steel is very magnetic, while 300 series is not. 304 and 316 are used in corrosion resistant applications, like food and medical. 400 series is not nearly as corrosion resistant, but they are easier to machine, so 416 is typically used in firearms. A stainless steel firearm is very strongly attracted to a magnet. I haven't measured the force, but it seems about the same as for a blued gun. As an aside, some slides are black but underneath are stainless steel (SIG).

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/08/metal-treatments-stainless-steel.html

416 stainless steel can become magnetized when subjected to a strong magnetic field for a long enough time.

Reactions: 850sub
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.