Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has his own range and took me to shoot with him. Got to shoot several of his pistols plus my KT P32 and my Berreta 87T .22
All of his were fine except a Glock 36 .45 he had just bought and never fired.

I shot it. Horrible! absolutely terrible. Very hard trigger and recoil almost jumped it out of my grip. No way to control follow up shots. Plus it would jam.

Best of his pistols was a HK usp Compact 9mm. Great trigger, low recoil, and good accuracy.

If you need a .45 get a good 1911 model. But avoid the Gluck 36. Junk!!
og

Attachments

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Those HK's are great guns. I have the P30S and love it. Serves the same need as the USP, but a newer, more ergonomic variation. However, the USP (compact) is lighter and cheaper. Also, for concealed carry the grips on the USP are not as aggressively textured as the P30 and won't abrade your body and shirt as much. The USP grip feels like a brick (Glock style) while the P30 grip is oh-so-hand-fitting. The USP has a traditional safety/decocker (one control) whereas the P30S has a separate decocker and safety (the safety is actually optional, the P30S has the safety, the P30 does not).

You really can't go wrong with either one. Or the new striker fired HK, the VP9.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on, heartig. Most people avoid HK pistols due to the high price. But they really are top quality. I really enjoyed shooting one.

About the Glock 36, it really shows a "plastic" pistol is no good for .45 caliber. Nothing there to absorb recoil. My friend plans to trade it back to dealer.

og

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't have a Glock 36, but I've wanted one. For that caliber, tho, I prefer my Beretta 8045 Cougars, of which I have two.

As for a Glock 36 jamming, yeah, I doubt it. I'm about 95% sure it was user error. These tiny .45's are probably very prone to limp-wristing. Glocks don't jam.

·
Registered
383 Posts
About the Glock 36, it really shows a "plastic" pistol is no good for .45 caliber. Nothing there to absorb recoil. My friend plans to trade it back to dealer.
I don't know about the Glock 36, but I shot Glock 30S, and it was a rather pleasant experience. The best .45 ACP gun that I have is a Springfield XD(m), which is plastic, of course.

·
Registered
285 Posts
^ It's called "perceived recoil" for a reason. ;) And different people perceive recoil, with different guns, differently. "Perception" as based on the individual is by-definition subjective. :)

If we read oldgranpa's post in-detail, it's really quite logical:

I shot it. Horrible! absolutely terrible. Very hard trigger and recoil almost jumped it out of my grip. No way to control follow up shots. Plus it would jam.
Given that he felt the recoil almost "jumped" the pistol "out of [his] grip," and made follow-up shots uncontrollable in his hands, it's only logical that he saw stoppages. Without the firearm being firmly grasped, the end-result is akin to a "limp-wrist" induced stoppage. It's just physics.

Whether other shooters would feel the same - subjectively - about this firearm's recoil impulse and/or have grip issues (either induced by fit or lack of physical grip strength)....that's totally up to the other end-user(s). :)

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
The G36 is a single stack with a very slim and very short grip. These would make recoil difficult compared to other .45s.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Anyone that wants to understand "perceived recoil" needs to try one of my KelTec P-40s with some 180 grain full power loads.

·
Registered
285 Posts
^ But that's just it: different people feel things differently.

Look at how many will say that X or Y gun/setup is "soft shooting," and others think that those same claims are just smoke.

"Perception" or "feel" - by definition, that's subjective.

Towards the .40 S&W, for example - only citing it here as you'd brought up the P-40 :) - how many times have we all read online or overhead in-person that someone "can shoot their .40 just about as well as their 9mm" because their X or Y gun chambered in .40 S&W is a "soft shooter?" That they "don't mind" (subjective, right? ;)) the recoil.

Yet put them on the clock and have them shoot to a metric, and they show higher splits and/or do not score as well. :) Now that is objective.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
^ But that's just it: different people feel things differently........................................................
True enough, but I have never heard anybody describe the KelTec P-40 as a soft shooter. I don't find it uncomfortable, as many do, but I certainly would never refer to it as it as a soft shooter, and I restrict my range sessions to 50 rounds or less.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My G36 was a sweet shooter, especially when loaded with Hornady critical defense 185 gr FTX.
The problem I had with it was it's small size, it was too small for my hands even with +1 grip extensions.
I traded it for my first 9mm SUB-2000, so it served it's purpose :)

Pictured on the left.

·
Registered
285 Posts
True enough, but I have never heard anybody describe the KelTec P-40 as a soft shooter. I don't find it uncomfortable, as many do, but I certainly would never refer to it as it as a soft shooter, and I restrict my range sessions to 50 rounds or less.
^ I don't doubt that. :) Nevertheless, we should as shooters distinguish between what's subjective and what's objective. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Anyone that wants to understand "perceived recoil" needs to try one of my KelTec P-40s with some 180 grain full power loads.
I'll second that. Yee-owch!

Uncomfortable? OH YEAH! I only shoot lightweight bullets in mine, like the 60-grain lead-free Liberty Ammunition self-defense rounds. Those are reasonable in my P40 and my .40 standard carry round (also in my Glock 22).

·
Registered
383 Posts
My G36 was a sweet shooter, especially when loaded with Hornady critical defense 185 gr FTX.
The problem I had with it was it's small size, it was too small for my hands even with +1 grip extensions.
You know, coincidentally Sootch says that G36's grip is relatively big in this comparo:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLCtDtaWSnw[/ame]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.