Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help in decision here, wisdom appreciated please, Wife is considering glock 19 and has researched and found lots of neg reviews on it does anyone here have one and would they carry it and depend on it, myself as having seen and been part of pf9 for awhile know of the internet bs that can drag down . just asking those who may know more and wisdom. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Ive had one for years. Its been a pretty decent gun. And i shoot it well. I added a grip cover, a belt clip, and a pinkie extension. Mine developed issues with the 10 round mags that came with it. So get the 15+ for reliability. Also I don't use the clip so much, as the glock is my truck gun.
I don't like the blocky grip. And the little trigger safety blade really starts to dig in at the range, and a reason my sweetie didn't care for it.
Has your wife shot a Glock before?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I, and millions of others, have a G19. I have never heard of a reliability issue. The only negative I have heard is brass to the face. I believe this was typical of early G19G4's. I have never had that issue. A lot of people carry them but they do have a larger footprint than the pf9.
Glock purists tend to look down on the pf9 or kt's in general but I've had nothing going but experiences out of all mine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The only negative reviews of Glock 19 Gen4's was back when the entire line of Gen4's first came out. The reviews you looked at sound like they were 4+years old. That was when the Gen4's were having teething issues. With the latest ones, you only need to worry about brass to the face with the ejector. I have not had that issue with the 2 Gen4 Glocks I have shot though.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Need a little help in decision here, wisdom appreciated please, Wife is considering glock 19 and has researched and found lots of neg reviews on it does anyone here have one and would they carry it and depend on it, myself as having seen and been part of pf9 for awhile know of the internet bs that can drag down . just asking those who may know more and wisdom. Thanks, Mike
My experience is that all Glocks are very reliable, readily accessorized, and easy to shoot (except maybe the standard slide 10 MM). Their only drawbacks to me are their blocky grips and slide make for some difficulty in grip and some forms of carry. Even some small hands have a problem with the smallest G4 grip adapter. Let her shoot one and try it for her carry preference fit. If she likes it, I think it is a very good firearm.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Ive had one for years. Its been a pretty decent gun. And i shoot it well. I added a grip cover, a belt clip, and a pinkie extension. Mine developed issues with the 10 round mags that came with it. So get the 15+ for reliability. Also I don't use the clip so much, as the glock is my truck gun.
I don't like the blocky grip. And the little trigger safety blade really starts to dig in at the range, and a reason my sweetie didn't care for it.
Are you talking about the Glock 19 or the Glock 26? Because I've got pretty average-sized hands, and there's more than enough real estate on the grip frame already for me to fit all of my fingers on there without a pinky extension. Unless you've got some seriously gargantuan paws that make Hickok45's hands look tiny...? :)

I own and often carry a Glock 19. I am NOT a Glock fanboy ... even though those stupid Glocks have pretty well taken over most of my carry selection. For me, it came down to a few things: 1. Reliability (duh), 2. What I personally shoot best (for some reason, I shoot Glocks far more accurately than M&P's and others), 3. Concealability (the G19 in particular is about the biggest pistol I can easily conceal in summer with just a T-shirt and jeans), and 4. Availability of holsters and such. Well, and also 5. The pistol is good to go as-is without needing a bunch of modifications (although I did add rubberized Talon Grips and a grip plug ... just because :p ).

I'm not sure what "negative reviews" you've been seeing about the G19. Generally, it's considered the gold standard for mid- to large-sized carry guns. It's been around for decades and has amassed quite a cult ... er, I mean, quite a fan base because of its simplicity, durability, and reliability. you load it, pull the trigger, and it goes bang. Sure, it's about $100 more expensive than it needs to be nowadays, considering the other offerings on the market - even more so if you go for the Gen4 - but it's still not TOO outrageously priced. Best if you just buy one used that's visually in good shape and save a hundred bucks or so. The .40 S&W and 10mm Glocks, however, are a different story - chamber isn't fully supported by design, cases bulge when fired, and there's been more than a few KaBooms with those. (Problem is easily solved by dropping in an aftermarket barrel, though.)

The only "negative" things I've usually heard about the G19 are its lack of a manual safety, which is often from folks who have come to depend upon manual safety levers or long, heavy double-action triggers as a crutch to protect them against their own inability to exercise proper trigger discipline. When carried in a quality holster, and when exercising proper caution during draw and holstering, Glocks are as safe as any other firearm on the market; idiots who carry without a holster (see also "Plaxico Burress"), folks who use super-cheap flimsy holsters, and those who don't take care to keep fingers and/or clothing out of the way during draws or holstering are the only ones who've had a problem with pistols lacking external manual safeties.

If I could change just a couple of things about the G19, it would be the grip serrations (they work, but they could definitely be improved) and the bottom end of the grip, where the magazine's baseplate sticks out like an afterthought. Supposedly, it's so you can grab hold of the mag and yank it out if it gets stuck (which I've never experienced), but they could just as easily have made little divots in the sides at the bottom of the grip to allow for that, rather than adding an extra 1/8" of square-shaped plastic junk sticking out of the grip (a more rounded, organic shape like on the M&P) would be better) and making it that much more difficult to conceal. A lot of folks despise the factory Glock sights; I prefer 3-dots, myself, but the Glock sights work well enough for me as-is, and they're a heck of a lot better than those stupid Heine "Straight-8" sights used on Kahrs and some Taurus pistols, and there's a bajillion aftermarket sights available for Glocks, anyway.

I'd say the G19 is a pretty safe bet as far as being a good purchase. However, you might be better served by the G26 than the G19 if this is for your wife, especially if it's for concealed carry. She would likely find the G26 to be more well-suited to her hands (especially with a pinky extension) and more balanced, plus the G26 will also accept 15-round G19 and 17-round G17 magazines (and 33-round "happy stick" mags), so it's plenty flexible. And obviously it's a LOT easier to conceal than the G19 because of the shorter grip. Just an alternative to consider.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot don't know how old the reviews were she seen em, I watched hickok45 for the first time lst evening and he ran 1000 thru that one with no problems so figured it was nay sayers, yes phil trying to get to range to try one on for feel she now shoots my mp9c very well but seen the talo semper fi model and started to drool so also she shot my sig 226 on the same day "I don't want to lose my sig" she liked the trigger. That will be the defining moment when she hits the range what I say don't count only input. The reviews also stated they had a lot of stovepipe never seen that on video. Wish me luck can't and don't want to find another for me pistol. Mike

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neither one of us have closest was thru the counter or hanging on hip at pd. Always been a sig man myself even tho I catch heat about the safety, was always taught safety in finger and mind. Mike

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Glocks are decent enough guns. Reliable. Well made. Someone here once said they're the "Ford Taurus of the gun world". In other words, "No bad, not great, average, basic, not exciting, gets the job done, non-descript, everybody has one, they are everywhere but you probably don't notice them." So you won't go terribly wrong with one.

IMHO, there are far better choices available though. Assuming your wife is preferring striker-fired guns (based on her current choice of Glock), have you looked at the Walther PPQ? The HK VP9? The Sig P320? The S&W M&P? Have you compared striker-fired to hammer-fired guns? Looking at all the categories/features you might rate a handgun for, Glocks are average in each category. They don't really stand out for anything - either good or bad. They're just ... Glocks. Probably their lowest rating would come in the ergonomics category - they just feel like you're holding a brick in your hand.

But, "average" does equal "reliable" in this case, so I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from buying a Glock if that is their preference. Glocks are no more reliable than any other well made handgun, but they are certainly no less reliable. A lot about handgun choice comes down to personal preference. Actually liking the gun that you purchase is a big factor in how well you will do with it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glocks are decent enough guns. Reliable. Well made. Someone here once said they're the "Ford Taurus of the gun world". In other words, "No bad, not great, average, basic, not exciting, gets the job done, non-descript, everybody has one, they are everywhere but you probably don't notice them." So you won't go terribly wrong with one.

IMHO, there are far better choices available though. Assuming your wife is preferring striker-fired guns (based on her current choice of Glock), have you looked at the Walther PPQ? The HK VP9? The Sig P320? The S&W M&P? Have you compared striker-fired to hammer-fired guns? Looking at all the categories/features you might rate a handgun for, Glocks are average in each category. They don't really stand out for anything - either good or bad. They're just ... Glocks. Probably their lowest rating would come in the ergonomics category - they just feel like you're holding a brick in your hand.

But, "average" does equal "reliable" in this case, so I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from buying a Glock if that is their preference. Glocks are no more reliable than any other well made handgun, but they are certainly no less reliable. A lot about handgun choice comes down to personal preference. Actually liking the gun that you purchase is a big factor in how well you will do with it.
She has a mp 9c now have not looked at any of the others, going on a word of mouth from one of her coworkers to try, always had a soft spot for walther threw one over side of ship to keep customs from confiscating when ppks was not legal here. Have not seen the ppq, hk from what I've seen they got a hefty price tag, yes I'm a tightwad, yes the choice will be totally hers what works for me or you don't count for a hill of beans, what will be shot and what carried will be. Mike

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
The prices are close to what I imagine a Glock would cost. But I haven't bought a Glock recently to know for sure.

Walther PPQ, $539
https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-ppq-m2-9mm.html

HK VP9, $579:
https://www.cdnnsports.com/hk-vp9-9mm-4-striker-w-rail-ambi-3-dot-sgt-2-15rd.html

HK P30SK, $599 (this one is hammer-fired, and a sub-compact model, although I think it's too chunky to be a true sub-compact):
https://www.cdnnsports.com/hk-p30sk-9mm-sub-compact-v3.html

I have the full-sized P30S (hammer-fired), which inexplicably costs $200 more than the sub-compact at CDNN online. And I paid $200 above even that (locally, at Cabela's). But worth every penny to me. I love this HK.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/p30s-9mm-v3-decockr-3-8-ambi.html

I would find these guns locally, to handle them to see what fits your wife best, before blindly buying online, if possible. I know that all of these I've suggested absolutely blow away the Glock for me, but this gun isn't for me, so have your wife try them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The prices are close to what I imagine a Glock would cost. But I haven't bought a Glock recently to know for sure.

Walther PPQ, $539

HK VP9, $579:
https://www.cdnnsports.com/hk-vp9-9mm-4-striker-w-rail-ambi-3-dot-sgt-2-15rd.html

HK P30SK, $599 (this one is hammer-fired, and a sub-compact model, although I think it's too chunky to be a true sub-compact):

I have the full-sized P30S (hammer-fired), which inexplicably costs $200 more than the sub-compact at CDNN online. And I paid $200 above even that (locally, at Cabela's). But worth every penny to me. I love this HK.

I would find these guns locally, to handle them to see what fits your wife best, before blindly buying online, if possible. I know that all of these I've suggested absolutely blow away the Glock for me, but this gun isn't for me, so have your wife try them.
Wilco as did not know hk was that price only seen them in 800-900 range. worth getting some hand time on each if available. Mike

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have a Glock 23 ( same as a 19 but in 49S&W). It is a gen3. It is the best pointing gun I own. I shot a 245 out of 250 for my CHL and that was the first time I had loaded it. Bought it at noon on Friday and took the test the next day at noon. It fits my hand and that is what is important. Let her hold the different guns and she will find one that fits. JMHO

Steve

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
My wife loves her Glock too (a 17). She wants to buy another. Everybody has different tastes, no one gun is better/worse than another in a general sense (assuming you're looking at comparable qualities). Personal preference plays a major role here.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yep, tried her on pf9m sig 226 map9c and now sig 250 mruger lcr and ruger lcp, springfield xd , sold the lcp springfield and lcr lately as money needed elsewhere. springfield she could not rack slide so it was matyter of time before it disappeared. lcr sorry to see it go . told tonight to wait she is satisfied and will shoot better with sw and get something laater sorry to bug anyone in mym infinate fix wisdom, I try and make better. Thanks alll, Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
If she doesn't like how the Glock feels, have her try out an M&P or the Shield. The more comfortable and adjustable grip of the M&P is may help and she should be able to get a good grip on the Shield with it's smaller grip.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Out of curiosity, mosue52, how old is your wife's M&P 9?

For a while, they had mechanical accuracy issues, which was eventually traced to the barrel, IIRC.

As for the Gen. 4 Glocks, as many have noted above, their initial troubles are now just part of the gun-world lore. Yes, they had teething issues when they first came online, and yes, those issues were very real, but of my training-heavy friends who have purchased and seriously run their Gen. 4 Glocks over the course of the last two years, none have reported any problems that would be considered outside the norms for any other quality defensive handgun.

And overall, if your wife does get the shopping bug again, I strongly second haertig's advice above:

I would find these guns locally, to handle them to see what fits your wife best, before blindly buying online, if possible.
And to go one further, even: to not just handle them at a gun-show or at a store, but to actually rent the guns at a range or beg/borrow/steal :p friends'/family's so that she can actually try them out, live-fire, at the range.

Why the latter?

Because putting your hands on a gun is just like sitting in a car at the dealership showroom or on a car-show floor. Until you take that test-drive, there's traits of the vehicle that just won't manifest themselves as the car sits there, inanimate.

It takes a very, very, very experienced shooter to just be able to pick up a gun to say whether he/she will more than likely "like" to shoot it, or not.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Out of curiosity, mosue52, how old is your wife's M&P 9?

For a while, they had mechanical accuracy issues, which was eventually traced to the barrel, IIRC.

As for the Gen. 4 Glocks, as many have noted above, their initial troubles are now just part of the gun-world lore. Yes, they had teething issues when they first came online, and yes, those issues were very real, but of my training-heavy friends who have purchased and seriously run their Gen. 4 Glocks over the course of the last two years, none have reported any problems that would be considered outside the norms for any other quality defensive handgun.

And overall, if your wife does get the shopping bug again, I strongly second haertig's advice above:

And to go one further, even: to not just handle them at a gun-show or at a store, but to actually rent the guns at a range or beg/borrow/steal :p friends'/family's so that she can actually try them out, live-fire, at the range.

Why the latter?

Because putting your hands on a gun is just like sitting in a car at the dealership showroom or on a car-show floor. Until you take that test-drive, there's traits of the vehicle that just won't manifest themselves as the car sits there, inanimate.

It takes a very, very, very experienced shooter to just be able to pick up a gun to say whether he/she will more than likely "like" to shoot it, or not.
I don't even have a clue as of it's age I bought used from a co worker guess now you asked I can go on sw web and figure it out but it has trijicon front rear sights I put rear on trigger may have been done also by previous owner but don't know it is sure smooth. yes good points all hope to be able to go this weekend and try glock as found 1 at range that rents so will give both the hk vp9 and glock a run thru not me her . as you say it is all ford and chevy in this world. Thanks a bunch good advice from all. Mike

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mine's run like a top. The reason I have my Sub2k is because of my Gen4 19. ;)

While mine has been carried a few times I find I really like the concept of pocket carrying the Pf9 or my .38 snubbie. The Gen4 19 got stuck with night stand duty and sometimes gets to tag along in the backpack with the Sub2k when I take that out and about. If the you know what hits the fan I have total confidence its going to do what I'll need it to do god forbid.

https://us.glock.com/customer-service/recoil-spring-exchange

If you buy used and turned out it was one of the early ones they will still as of today take care of you. The majority of these out there floating around are post recall and g2g. Good luck.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Walther PPQ, $539

HK VP9, $579:

Well, thanks to us I presume I have created a monster of the good kind of course. We were able to get to range and tried her on several different guns walther ppq 5 shots it went back glock 19 200 rds, hk p30 didn't have sk 200 rds. sig p225, then back to glock again, I could not point glock to shoot, but she wastearing up target with it. fast forward a week and went back, glock again hk again, try pf9, got a heck no it went into box, try sig 250, it went into box, glock and hk went to lgs to hand time hkp30sk did not like feel of it like p30, try on glock 19 again ,next weekend she bought glock 19 at gun show then to range and broke in 350 rds no misfire, or any problems . Thanks very much she is happy as a clam now already talking about getting bling for gun. I'm afraid I've created a monster. Love it tho. Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.