Girlfriend cannot rack the slide of my p3at

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Karma, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Karma

Karma New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    My girlfriend cannot rack the slide of my p3at but wants a PF-9...

Does anyone know if it is any easier to rack?

2. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Might have her try what some here have suggested. Hold the slide(solid) and rack(push) the gun,seems to help some who can't grip and pull the slide.
    And the PF9 has more surface area to grip so it should be easier

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
  4. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Bobo, great link.

5. Good Link and Good Point,   but if she is having trouble racking the slide now, and MAYBE learns to use the techniques shown on the above linked page, what happens under stress and with a gun failure resulting from a limpwrist or some other gun failure?  What if she can not use her strong hand to shoot?

Check these links to limpwristing.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1199388550

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/...n=view&current=limp_wrist_test_2_0001.flv

I have long advocated revolvers for PEOPLE (not just women) not inclined to learn/master the mechanics involved in an auto loader.  

My wife is FINALLY signed up for a CCW class this month.  She will be getting my S&W 637 Satinless 2" with the CTC Laser Grips.

It has a bit of "punch" since it is so light, but I have NO CONCERN about her ability to shoot it, and I am not worried about any mechanical failure.

But most importantly, SHE is not concerned about those issues either, and thus less likely to panic in a SHTF moment.

She will also be more likely to carry if she has confidence.

6. Tokamak

Tokamak New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Wierd, my wife (5' 2") has never had a problem with the slide - and she always hands me the pickle jars to open. In fact, I had to buy her a P3AT after she tried mine. We now have matching chrome P3ATs.

That reminds me, she has been bugging me to go to the range. We should do so soon.

7. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    When I first picked up the p3at I couldn't rack it at all! :-[ but the saleswoman (the better half of the shopowner couple) showed me "push with this hand, pull with this one." Oh! After that it was -- well, easier -- and I hand it to GUYS and they go like -- oof -- and turn red and I have to show them how. It's a tough slide if you're used to Berettas and the like.

I agree as to the revolver, yes, and she could start out with wadcutters (or even stay with them, as I do with my .357).

The p3at is my carry because it's light and inconspicuous, it's not about easy! I am getting better with it but most gals I know have passed it up for a .32 or a Bersa in .380 (or a 1911, but that's another topic. ;)

8. fcernese

fcernese New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    After a full fluff&buff there was a remarkable difference in racking the slide on my 3AT.

Frank